WISH LIST 2016

KNIT-A-SQUARE WISH LIST 2016

Over the years Knit-a-Square has grown rather organically and kindhearted members have been sending an ever increasing variety of goodies, but it has become essential for Knit-a-Square to have an appraisal and re-evaluate its whole approach in order for the office team to comfortably handle the number of items arriving. 

In future Knit-a-Square will ONLY be able to distribute squares, assembled blankets, hats, hand-warmers and cuddly toys. All other items, as mentioned below, will be distributed through a third-party and not directly by KAS.

The focus for the coming year, and for some time to come will be :

Squares for blankets   -   Hats & Hand-warmers   -   Cuddly Toys

In order to make life easier for the office team we need the following assistance :

SQUARE REQUIREMENTS  

• Please lay the squares flat for posting, and avoid rolling into sausages.
  • Please do not wrap the squares in plastic cling wrap - they arrive smelly!
  • Bundled into square packs of 35 if there are enough of them.

• You are welcome to sew your squares into blankets of 5x7 squares (see chart at bottom of the page) but must only declare that your package contains knitted squares. [Crocheters often find it easier to crochet the squares into strips and then crochet the strips together.]

HATS & BEANIES

• Ronda mentioned that the ribbed hats are the best as they grow with the child. Sizing - if it fits the knitter then it will fit the child comfortably.
  • However, please avoid square hats, as for some reason the children get ridiculed for having "ears"!

HAND-WARMERS

• Again hand-warmers that are ribbed are comfortable and grow with the child.
  • Please place one hand-warmer inside the other in order to keep them together.
  • Please avoid tying them together or using safety pins as these must be removed prior to distribution and it is fiddly and time consuming.

CUDDLY TOYS

• The children absolutely adore receiving their own personal 'present' of a cuddly toy - and they bring joy beyond measure for so many children who have never experienced the wonder of "ownership".
  • Hand knitted toys or store bought toys are welcome, but all price tags must be removed to avoid customs problems.
  • Second hand toys are accepted as long as they are in good condition. 

ADDITIONAL ITEMS THAT ARE WELCOME

• Yarn - we always need yarn to sew together and edge the blankets.
  • Yarn needles - we always need these for sewing the blankets - both plastic and metal are great.
  • Crochet hooks - 4.0mm (US size G/6, UK/Canadian size 8) for edging the blankets so they remain strong.
  • We do not need any more knitting needles at this stage - we have a box full!

TO HELP US COPE AND STREAM-LINE THE OFFICE OPERATION, THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE LIKELY TO BE DISTRIBUTED THROUGH A TRUSTED THIRD PARTY IN THE FUTURE :

Jumpers and Grace Vests : Have already been successfully distributed by Erica Lüttich from the Outreach Foundation. However, although Erica sent lots of photographs of the children wearing the garments, we cannot guarantee that this will be possible each time.

Toothbrushes, tissues and toiletry items : A third party distributor has yet to be identified, but church outreach departments will help.

Store bought or second-hand clothing : Will be distributed through Wandi and the Methodist Church quarterly outreach gatherings.

Underwear : All underwear will be given to the Rape Crisis Centre in Beoni which deals with many children up to the age of 14 in all crisis situations.

Socks : A third party distributor has yet to be identified.

KasCuddles & Baby Items : Will be distributed via Hotel Hope and Sister Susan at the Baragwanath Hospital Maternity Ward.

GENERAL POSTING & PACKING NEEDS

• Completing the Packing Slip is a huge help to the team at the office - thank you. Here is the link to the discussion page where you will find 3 documents including a large print version listed on the bottom left : Revised Packing Slip

• The new message to be printed on parcels is : 

BONA FIDE GIFT

FOR CHARITY

NO COMMERCIAL VALUE

• Customs Ticket - please only write a value of '0' or '1' - anything higher will result in Knit-a-Square being charged duties, which they well cannot afford, resulting in parcels being returned to customs authorities for re-assessment. THIS can result in non-receipt in the long run.
  • Please do not register or insure your parcels - it automatically assumes a "monetary value" on the parcel and this is what causes the problems with SA Customs & Excise!
  • Please continue to use the usual address at Bryanston, as this branch is re-opening in a new location on 21st December!

How to stitch together a KAS blanket.pdf

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks, whoever said it, for the reminder about the Go-Go's...just sent in a donation to cover the sewing up costs for more blankets....God bless their flying fingers as they work so hard for us! When my pension comes in I'm grateful to be able to send a bit their way.  Every dollar is another blanket. :)

• I 'm not a natural beanie knitter, can anyone tell me how long to knit a ribbed beanie before the decreases?  Is a brim required or not?   Many thanks  x

• Hi Roz

Here is a copy of Wendy's new beanie pattern (you can see some made by a few folk in the photo section in the past week or so), which should give you a guide.  :))

Double Knit Chunky Rib Hat

Materials:

Approximately 55 grams of 8 Ply Acrylic Yarn. 7.5 mm knitting needles (can be circular or straight needles as preferred, I used circular). Yarn needle for sewing up.

Using 7.5 mm needles & 2 Strands of 8 ply yarn, Cast on 60 stitches.

Knit in K2, P2 rib until hat measures 6.5 inches

Crown Shaping

Row 1: K2T, P2 (45 sts rem)

Row 2: K1, P2

Row 3: K1, P2T (30 sts rem)

Row 4: K1, P1

Row 5: K1, K2T (20 sts - rem)

Row 6: Knit

Row 7: K2T (10 sts rem)

Cut yarn, leaving a long end (for sewing). Thread yarn into yarn needle & thread through remaining stitches. Draw up tightly & fasten off securely. Stitch seam.

• Is it possible to add Wendy's beanie pattern to the Members patterns section?

• HI Barb, Wendy has posted the pattern under her hat photo in the Photo Gallery.  The pattern will soon be in the Knit-a-Square Pattern Book.

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/blue-chunky-rib-beanie-jan-16/...

• Thanks, Linda. It'll be easier to find in the pattern section, especially for new members who may not know it's in the photo section. In the meantime, I've saved the link.  :-)

• Many thanks Bev, 6.5 inches it is...........x

• I got carried away and it ended up being 7 inches. 

002.JPG

• I am confused, Roz. I thought it was a beanie you were knitting.   :))  Cute teddy....love his scarf!!!

2886780367?profile=original

This reply was deleted.