WISDOM FROM OUR GRANDPARENTS - PROVERBS, SUPERSTITIONS and OTHER RULES OF LIFE

My grandmother, Kate, was a 'walking proverb'. She had one for every occasion. 

She also had little superstitions, that guided her behaviour, and to this day some of them have stuck with me.

Other things she said were neither proverbs or superstitions, just sayings she used each time a particular situation would arise and she wanted to make a point.

Since we are such a wide-spread KASfamily, I wonder if 'wisdom' like this is universal, or if each country has its own versions.

Let's share our grandparents' wisdom sayings to see what we can come up with and have some fun.

Please do not list more than one proverb, one superstion and one saying per post so that we all have a chance to 'digest' them.

Views: 1218

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I  don't know that saying, but I feel that we are safe here as nothing opens on a Sunday except for a restaurant or two.

I just found the list of my grandmother's proverbs and sayings.  I had loaned it to my daughter and she had tucked it into a a book I had prepared about our family tree.  Here's a couple for today!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt about it.

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

Anne, these are priceless.  I have heard both ... many times :)) The version of the first that I remember is "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."  Humorous, but sooooo true! xo

Well, I haven't heard the first one, but I think it very funny!! The omelette / eggs one has been a frequently used one in my family....... usually directed at me in a 'kindly way' by my parents when something I was doing didn't quite work out as planned. I used to do wood turning and a little carving, the turned items were usually fine, but my attempts at carving weren't great. My father often would say Practice makes perfect (just like Glo's grandmother). I love the way that some proverbs and sayings are familiar to us in different parts of the world.

Both familiar to me, too....though the first one I have only just read in recent times on the net.

One I remember a lot from much younger days......think it must have been when  I was not entirely appreciative of something I had received or food put before me or an outing we were going on.....'it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick'. It's one I have used on my own children .......and then I have received some strange looks....lol.

I like that one, Bev.  I can think of many occasions when I might have used that (will tuck it away for future use)

Yep, that was a regular in our household too, from my grandparents.

I remember the evening before my father died, just before the Lotto numbers were being read out on TV, he said that he was going to give a million of what he was about to win, to the charity that both my son and I were involved with! We all listened carefully...... but only three of his numbers came out, £10. He said well, never mind, 'it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick'. 

He became very poorly that night and passed away the next day. Yes, we gave the £10 (and more) to the charity.

Here's another from my grandmother:

He who pays the piper calls the tune.

I have heard that one very often.

Good one, Anne...I've heard that one before, too.  :))

Another one of our family sayings too :))

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2020

SHOP

NEW!
KAS Colouring Book

Featuring 3 original illustrations by South African artists

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

Due to Covid-19 the Squares lists are delayed.

The OCTOBER 2020 Squares List is available.

Visit the

2020 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2021 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2021

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

COLOUR OF THE MONTH

Free Pattern for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns from

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2021   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service