KNIT-A-SQUARE WISH LIST 2021
Over the years Knit-a-Square has grown as kindhearted members keep sending an ever increasing variety of items for the children. KAS appreciates the generosity of all contributors and is able to distribute squares, assembled blankets, hats, hand-warmers and cuddly toys.
Any other items will be distributed through a third-party and not directly by KAS.
OUR FOCUS IS:
Squares for blankets - Hats - Hand-warmers - Cuddly Toys
In order to make life easier for the office team we need the following assistance :
Please DO NOT add buttons. They can come loose with use and fall off, becoming a choking hazard for small children.
- Please lay the squares flat for posting, and avoid rolling into sausages.
- Please do not wrap the squares in plastic cling wrap - they arrive smelly!
- Bundled into square packs of 35 if there are enough of them.
- You are welcome to sew your squares into blankets of 5x7 squares (see chart at bottom of the page) but must only declare that your package contains knitted squares. [Crocheters often find it easier to crochet the squares into strips and then crochet the strips together.]
HATS & BEANIES
- Ribbed hats are the best as they grow with the child.
- Sizing - if it fits the knitter then it will fit the child comfortably.
- Please avoid square hats, as for some reason the children get ridiculed for having "ears"!
- Sizing and thumb-hole placement: Please check the patterns for knit and crochet handwarmers in the KAS Pattern Book. Remember - these need to fit a child's hands.
- Hand-warmers that are ribbed are comfortable and will grow with the child.
- Please keep them together by placing one hand-warmer inside the other instead of tying them or using safety pins. Pins or ties must be removed prior to distribution and is fiddly and time consuming.
- The children absolutely adore receiving their own personal 'present' of a cuddly toy. They bring joy beyond measure for so many children who have never experienced the wonder of ownership.
- Hand knitted toys or store bought toys are welcome, but all price tags must be removed to avoid a problem with customs.
- Second hand toys are accepted as long as they are clean and in good condition.
ADDITIONAL ITEMS THAT ARE WELCOME
- Yarn - we always need yarn to sew together and edge the blankets.
- Yarn needles - we always need these for sewing the blankets - both plastic and metal are great.
- Crochet hooks - 4.0mm (US size G/6, UK/Canadian size 8) for edging the blankets so they remain strong.
GENERAL POSTING & PACKING NEEDS
- Completing the Packing Slip is a huge help to the team at the office - thank you. Here is the link to the discussion page where you will find 3 documents including a large print version listed on the bottom left : Revised Packing Slip
- The message to be printed on parcels is :
BONA FIDE GIFT
NO COMMERCIAL VALUE
- Customs Ticket - please only write a value of '0' or '1' - anything higher will result in Knit-a-Square being charged extra duties (which they cannot afford) resulting in parcels being returned to customs authorities for re-assessment. This can result in non-receipt of items.
- Please do not register or insure your parcels - it automatically assumes a "monetary value" on the parcel and this will cause problems with SA Customs & Excise!
MANY THANKS FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT
AND CARING HEARTS!