I remember as a child that cars started to have go faster stripes on them, so I looked it up for this month’s introduction……..

In 1964, the Shelby Daytona Coupe would use the converse blue with white stripes and would compete in the 1964 and 1965 24 Hours of Le Mans.[5]

Road cars and "go-faster stripes"

The first road car to implement racing stripes was the 1965 Ford Mustang GT350.From the 1960s, stripes have sometimes been applied to road cars as well as racing cars. Such cars as the Renault 8 Gordini had stripes fitted as standard.[ They are sometimes referred to as "go-faster stripes" on road car.

Of course, our squares will not go faster or feel warmer due to stripes, but they do look lovely.  Here are a few examples of striped squares that have been done in the past.  Remember that stripes can be in a wide variety of thicknesses

Animals

Many animals have striped bodies.  If you enjoy making toys any of the following would fit with the theme and make an interesting toy – or theme – for your to knit or crochet:  Tiger · Zebra · Bumblebee · Striped Marlin · Okapi · Mackerel Tabby Cat · Chipmunk · Skunk.  Maybe you can use a picture of one of these animals to inspre the colours you use in your stripes? A while back we did. month inspired by sweets - many of those were striped - like the candy canes we get at Christmas for on our trees.  There are so many striped inspirations once you start looking.

Of course, striped knitting does have one drawback – you have ends to sew in where you change from one colour to the next.  This is why many people prefer to use variegated yarns – you get the striped effect without any ends – sometimes the yarn does the work to make the square almost look like a fairisle pattern.  I would like to point out that the diagonal squares and the mitred squares look particularly good in variegated yarns.  Or in stripes.

I can't wait to see all the lovely stripes wee are going to make this month

Views: 3864

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Isn't this the cutest kitty?   I love the stripes.

My Colour of the Month squares.

Those are such super squares to join Patricia. 

Delicious colour Px

A really pretty yellow, Patricia.....I LOVE that pattern!!

What a lovey shade of yellow you have chosen.  These will sing out in whichever blanket they are added to.

Great job on CoM squares, Patricia.   This pattern is always a favorite.

Oh Ada this made me do a silly grin, love it ✔️

I have the same silly grin.   This little charmer will be a friend for life.

What a sweetie! A child will love him, Ada.

What a cutie Ada.  Some child is so going to love finding this in their blanket.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2021

SQUARES LIST

The MARCH 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

May

Color Of The Month YELLOW

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service