I remember as a child that cars started to have go faster stripes on them, so I looked it up for this month’s introduction……..

In 1964, the Shelby Daytona Coupe would use the converse blue with white stripes and would compete in the 1964 and 1965 24 Hours of Le Mans.[5]

Road cars and "go-faster stripes"

The first road car to implement racing stripes was the 1965 Ford Mustang GT350.From the 1960s, stripes have sometimes been applied to road cars as well as racing cars. Such cars as the Renault 8 Gordini had stripes fitted as standard.[ They are sometimes referred to as "go-faster stripes" on road car.

Of course, our squares will not go faster or feel warmer due to stripes, but they do look lovely.  Here are a few examples of striped squares that have been done in the past.  Remember that stripes can be in a wide variety of thicknesses

Animals

Many animals have striped bodies.  If you enjoy making toys any of the following would fit with the theme and make an interesting toy – or theme – for your to knit or crochet:  Tiger · Zebra · Bumblebee · Striped Marlin · Okapi · Mackerel Tabby Cat · Chipmunk · Skunk.  Maybe you can use a picture of one of these animals to inspre the colours you use in your stripes? A while back we did. month inspired by sweets - many of those were striped - like the candy canes we get at Christmas for on our trees.  There are so many striped inspirations once you start looking.

Of course, striped knitting does have one drawback – you have ends to sew in where you change from one colour to the next.  This is why many people prefer to use variegated yarns – you get the striped effect without any ends – sometimes the yarn does the work to make the square almost look like a fairisle pattern.  I would like to point out that the diagonal squares and the mitred squares look particularly good in variegated yarns.  Or in stripes.

I can't wait to see all the lovely stripes wee are going to make this month

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 9556811878?profile=RESIZE_710xI have had this variegated wool for 3 years and wish I'd got to it before now !    It's scrumptious.   It's Patons Fab DK and was a joy to knit with.   My good friend did the crochet joins and border.   No 46.    Sorry this is a little late but life got in the way a bit!

• A fabulous blanket, Karen.  Well worth the time it took to get the border finished.

• Hi what a beauty! I love the variegated too and it goes so well with the lovely shade of blue :))

• LOVE your blanket, Karen....it's just sooooo pretty.  :))

• This is beautiful, Karen. I've used Patons Fab DK variegated and agree it's a really nice yarn.

• That’s fabulous Karen. 

• August 2021

A couple of CoM (colour of the month) squares for August. :))
    Pattern is from the new FREE knitting pattern book in the KAS Shop. It's a GREAT book for beginners to the more advanced. :))

• All your squares are beautiful and they will be warm, whenever they get finished.  Great job.

• Oh dear, Bev - you had me checking the side panel for the Colour of the Month - you're getting me in all sorts of a muddle! August seems to be a very extended month this year. Lovely squares, anyway.

• Sorry Patricia...being late to a theme has become my 'thing', unfortunately.

I hope to post my squares for June in the coming days, if I get time to sew on them.  :))

This reply was deleted.