Welcome Everyone to our discussion on Themes for 2021.

Please be encouraged to participate in the suggestion of themes for next year. The more the merrier.

It maybe an old favourite you'd like to revisit...or something we've never done before. All suggestions gratefully received.

If you should like to host a theme...that would be wonderful...and if you've never hosted before, we are here to help and support.

September ABC. 123.  Plain Janes  FUDGE Handwarmers - Sweet for My Sweet Aug 2020 Theme

Training for Gold  July. Go for the Gold.  JULY - Go for the Gold

Basket-weave Square  Monkey, elephant and tiger  The Unforeseen Theme June 2020

M arch 2  Unforeseen - a toadstool  Clear the Decks 2

As you can see, our themes give thought to many different square designs. 

Your ideas please?

Views: 1447

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The ideas presented here are all great.  While I tend to leave the picture squares and more creative stitchwork to those more experienced, I love themes that include them!  The cakes/cookies idea is intriguing.  I also like the idea of 2-color squares in designs of the creator's choosing.

What about a "new to you" theme which could include colors one would not normally use (like pink, Pink or PINK :))) or a pattern, design or technique that might be sitting on someone's to-do list?  There's always 'favorites' to fall back on.  Or favorites and new-to-you could be combined??

Guess I haven't helped much with ideas, but I will put up my hand to host a theme (March??) ... xo

I like the idea of "new to you". Since joining KAS I have tried so many new stitches and ideas but I'm always on the lookout for more.

Some great ideas being put forward here, I like the sound of all of them. My favourite theme is always Africa, so maybe “ All things African” - Animals, Colours, Flags, Toys, Flowers etc.

I have always liked the mixture of picture themes for experienced knitters, and the themes that appeal to other knitters who like me focus on colour, stripes, variegated etc. I do like   Chris’s idea of Go Bold, or what about All things Bright and Beautiful?    Some years ago we had colour themes ie. Beautiful Blues, Pretty Pinks & Purples, Sunshine Yellows etc. 

How about textures? This could either be patterns or different types of wool. Gives children something to feelwhen they are wrapped up snug in their blankets.

I like the cakes and cookies theme, the 2 coloured square, and just about anything that lets me use up all my left-overs!  I do tend to shy away from complicated animals or objects as I like to be able to make several squares quickly and not labour over a complicated pattern. I leave that to the more experienced among us.

I like anything that involves lots of beautiful colours and I love hearts and flowers. They are quick to make and can be sewn quickly onto PJ's.

What about sharing  ’Colour Memories’

Perhaps:

• a particular colour from a favourite book as a child eg little red riding hood, or Peter Rabbit’s blue coat.
  • colours from a favourite song
  • the colours of a special dress / coat / sweater etc
  • loved ones favourite colours, or perhaps the colours of their favourite flowers

Sometimes colours can trigger a memory e.g. when I see a certain colour blue I think of the masses of forget-me-nots in my grandmothers garden and when I see turquoise, I remember as a little girl that I really thought it was ’turkwhite’ and I wondered why adults couldnt say it properly!

In addition to the themes selected for each month, I'd like to see a "color of the month".  And then a super challenge would be if you made a theme square using the month's designated color.

Elsi, this is a fabulous idea!  PJs are always welcomed at The Barn and this would be a great way to make sure there is always a supply of them to frame the 'picture' squares in a blanket.  Thank you for this suggestion! xo

I echo Gloria - this is a super idea - sometimes I look at my stash and wonder what colour to do and this would help me decide!

Just for clarity....does everyone mean....a theme and colour for each month, as opposed to the usual theme and pattern of the month?.... I think this would be a great idea, as many don't participate in the PoM (especially if you're a knitter and it's a crochet pattern or vice versa)...a colour of the month could make it more inclusive.  :))

I’m not sure Bev whether including the colour of the month was in addition to a pattern of the month, I think it could be a bit much to have both, it also might sound too prescripive. I think Elsi’s suggestion is a good one, and perhaps the pattern of the month could have a rest for a year? I don’t know what others would think.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2020

SHOP

WRAP 4 CHILDREN IN BLANKETS

This item will allow Knit-a-Square to pay our wonderful co-team workers – the Gogos (grandmothers) – to sew the squares received from across the globe into blankets for the children. $5 US will pay for 4 blankets to be stitched together.

THE KAS SHOP

SQUARES LIST

The January - February 2021 Squares List is available.

Visit the

2021 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2021 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2021

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

APRIL

Colour Of

the Month

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2021   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service