You are invited to

It’s that time of year when we dig out our recipe boxes, make a list of needed ingredients, and start baking up batches of Christmas Cookies – those ones the family looks forward to all year.
Since we can’t get together as a group, we thought that a ‘virtual’ exchange would be fun. We hope that you all will share your favourite recipes below.
What fun to try a member’s recipe from France, Germany, England, South Africa, Croatia, Canada, the USA, or any of the other multitude of countries represented in KAS.
Anything goes, as long as you think it is delicious. It can be calorie laden, gluten free, easy or challenging to make, squares (the edible kind – not knitted!), and not even a cookie! Christmas puddings and cakes, fudge and other Christmas sweets are also welcome.
If you have a photo of your baking, please post it with your recipe, if not – no worries.
If your recipe has been handed down, we can consider it an original (no need for a source), if you found it on the back of a bag like Chipits, please mention where it came from.
Because we represent so many countries, and some of us are on metric and others are not, here is a Conversion Chart:

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wendy and Chris - do not despair!  If you have an aversion to almond flavouring, Dutch Butter Cake can be made with other flavouring.  I poked around on the Internet and discovered that some people  flavour it with candied ginger, and some with lemon zest, and there are probably other options as well.  I think I will try both the lemon and the ginger, since I love them both (but not as much as almond)

• Thank you Anne......I love both lemon and ginger :)))

• To all you bakers - just in case you have discovered a new cookie recipe you would like to share, we will keep this discussion open until the end of January.

• I just can't resist adding one more recipe.

This is for a goodie I tasted at one of our cookie feasts between the 9 and 11 o'clock services at our church one Sunday during advent. I picked up the 'cookie' thinking it was a shortbread with a lovely golden top. However it tasted of almonds and had a much different texture than the usual shortbread cookie. Someone told me it was most likely Dutch Butter Cake and I managed to find the following recipe and make it after Christmas.

Since I love both marzipan AND shortbread, this one is enough to 'make the angels sing' for me. Simple and delicious.

The recipe is from the following website
    https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/dutch-butter-cake/

I recommend visiting the website - the author's comments about this Butter Cake are worth reading.

3815741451?profile=RESIZE_710x

Dutch Butter Cake (Boterkoek) with Almonds
    This Dutch Butter Cake, or Boterkoek, is flavored with almond and vanilla with simple ingredients- and a lot of butter! Makes two cakes and freezes well.

Prep Time 10 mins Cook Time 30 mins Cooling time 45 mins

Ingredients

1/2 lb. salted butter softened to room temperature (2 sticks)
    1.5 cups sugar
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (such as Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract)
    1 teaspoon pure almond extract (such as Nielsen-Massey Pure Almond Extract)
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 egg yolk
    2 tablespoons water
    1/2 cup sliced almonds (or slivered)

Instructions
    Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream together the butter (1/2 lb.) and sugar (1.5 cups) until fluffy with an electric mixer on high speed for about 1 minute.

Add the egg and mix on high speed for about another minute.

Add the almond extract and vanilla extract (1 teaspoon each) and mix until combined.

Add the flour (2 cups) and mix until combined. The dough will be thick and sticky. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl to place all the dough in the center of the bowl. Use a butter knife to cut down the center of the dough, to divide into two equal portions.

Mix together the 2 tablespoons water and the egg yolk with a fork until smooth. Set aside.

Place the 2 dough portions in 2 ungreased 8-inch cake pans. Press down with your hands, or using an offset spatula, to flatten and smooth out the dough as best you can, filling the bottom of the cake pan all the way to the edges.

Brush the tops of each cake with the egg yolk mixture. I recommend brushing each of them 2-3 times, allowing the egg to be absorbed into the top layer while you alternate back and forth, using all or almost all of the yolk mixture.

Sprinkle the top of each cake with the sliced almonds (1/4 cup for each cake). Press the almonds down gently, so they are in a single layer and are adhered to the top of the cake. It's OK, and actually a good thing, if the egg yolk mixture gets on top of the almonds.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes, or until deeply golden on the edges and slightly golden all across the top. (Do not overbake)

Cool in pan for at least 45 minutes. Remove and cut each into 12-16, depending on how big you want them. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 4-5 days, or in the fridge for 7-10 days.

Notes
    If using unsalted butter, I recommend adding 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt to the batter when you add the sugar.
    If you don't have 8-inch cake pans, 9-inch can be used. The cakes will come out thinner and may crumble more easily but are still delicious! Bake for 25-35 minutes, as they may need less time.
    For a nut-free version, omit the almonds on top. Use the tines of a fork to carve lines on top of the cake before brushing the egg wash mixture on top, then bake as directed. Nielsen-Massey Pure Almond Extract is allergen-free, so those with nut allergies are still able to use it.

Freezer directions: Freeze the cake whole, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, nestled into the cake pan, then thaw at room temperature for 12-24 hours. Alternatively, you can flash freeze the sliced cake- place the slices on a baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes, then place the slices into an airtight container or plastic bag and store in the freezer. Lasts for 3 months in the freezer.

ANNE'S NOTE - I omitted the sliced almonds on top. The egg wash creates a lovely, shiny finish.

• Sounds good Anne, but sadly I can't stand almonds or almond essence! I guess it is just one of those 'tastes' I never acquired!

Someone gave us a box of chocolates for Christmas and there was no guide to what flavour each was. I bit into one and it was almond, I had to go and spit it out and rinse my mouth!

My friend's Mum is German and they love marzipan and Stollen (which are also flavoured with almond essence). I buy them Marzipan rounds or Dominosteine for Christmas, but wouldn't eat them myself, which isn't so bad as I am not tempted to eat them before gifting! (and then having to buy more). :)

• Thanks Anne, this recipie had my son drooling...... but like Wendy, I would respond in the same way to almonds and almond essence! When we visit Judes KAS fundraiser in Purton, one of the ladies there makes scrumtious Bakewell tarts, which have almonds and almond essence in abundence...... Jude kindly treats Andrew to a large one of these as a thank you for his support..... if he had a tail it would wag!

• Thanks to everyone who contributed to our Virtual Cookie exchange.  It was fun to gather a few new recipes.  If you just dropped in for 'a read', that's fine too - we're glad you joined us.

One thing I noticed during our chit-chat is that in our various countries, there seems to be quite a difference in the flour we use.  Here in Canada, our two main types are All Purpose and Cake and Pastry flour.  I have never used Self Rising, but I suppose it is available. Usually our recipes call for the addition of baking powder or baking soda if rising is desired. Generally, we use Cake and Pastry for dessert-type baking, but if yeast is called for in a recipe, we use All Purpose.  For recipes calling for 1 cup of All Purpose, we use 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon of Cake and Pastry flour (although if you forget, it does't seem to make a huge difference)

• Thank you Anne for hosting this scrumptious discussion! 
      Although I’m not much of a cook these days, scrolling the various contributions has been enjoyable..... without the calories!
      I have noticed from this discussion (and TV), that baking cookies at Christmas is quite a big tradition in the USA, Canada and some other countries, but it isn’t in the UK..... but other things are, Christmas cake, Christmas puddings and mince pies. Thanks everyone for sharing :))

• Still hot from the oven, pineapple fruit cake! MMMMMM....

3784296489?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Wendy, it looks delicious! I love pineapple very much but haven´t eaten in a cake, yet.

This reply was deleted.