You are invited to

It’s that time of year when we dig out our recipe boxes, make a list of needed ingredients, and start baking up batches of Christmas Cookies – those ones the family looks forward to all year.
Since we can’t get together as a group, we thought that a ‘virtual’ exchange would be fun. We hope that you all will share your favourite recipes below.
What fun to try a member’s recipe from France, Germany, England, South Africa, Croatia, Canada, the USA, or any of the other multitude of countries represented in KAS.
Anything goes, as long as you think it is delicious. It can be calorie laden, gluten free, easy or challenging to make, squares (the edible kind – not knitted!), and not even a cookie! Christmas puddings and cakes, fudge and other Christmas sweets are also welcome.
If you have a photo of your baking, please post it with your recipe, if not – no worries.
If your recipe has been handed down, we can consider it an original (no need for a source), if you found it on the back of a bag like Chipits, please mention where it came from.
Because we represent so many countries, and some of us are on metric and others are not, here is a Conversion Chart:

Views: 1947

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, what a precious one Meeka is.  

I will be looking forward to trying new things as well as posting a few of my family favorites.

This is going to be FUN.

Amy, I 'borrowed' that photo from Google images, but it looks just like her and it's exactly what she would do.  She recently consumed a sizable dark chocolate bar which I had left in what I thought was a safe place.  Result - a $138 trip to the vet, so we won't be leaving cookies for Santa in this house!

Like you, I am looking forward to some new recipes to try, especially ones from Europe, South Africa, and our other far-flung countries.

Too funny, Anne ... hahaha   Maybe we can come up with a Christmas treat for Meeka that won't send her off to the doggie hospital ... xo

Anne, I love the photos you share we us. Where is your well hidden source of them ? They are so funny!

This is one of my families favorites now.  I found it just a couple of years ago.

I make my logs about 1' in diameter so they are bite size.  They do store in the freezer well as dough.  We slice and bake just what we are going to eat.  Well that is the idea for portion control, but never seems to work.

Provided by: EatingWell

2 hr 15 mins total 30 mins prep 63 calories/serving

Top of Form

Servings

Bottom of Form

These healthier pecan butter cookies are made with whole-wheat pastry flour and plenty of nuts.

Ingredients

Directions

• 1. Beat butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high until creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and add to the butter mixture. Beat on low speed until combined. Stir in pecans.
  • 2. Divide the dough in half and use lightly floured hands to shape each portion into a 6-inch round log. Wrap each log in wax paper and freeze until firm, at least 1 hour.
  • 3. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  • 4. Unwrap the dough and let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cinnamon on a shallow plate. Roll the logs in the sugar mixture, then slice each into 24 (1/4-inch-thick) cookies. Place the cookies about 2 1/2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
  • 5. Bake, one batch at a time, until lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
  • Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten-forming potential than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Both are available in large supermarkets or natural-foods stores (or online from bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com). Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
  • To Make Ahead: Wrap dough in wax paper and plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. Store cookies airtight for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

Thanks, Amy!  I LOVE pecans.  This recipe sounds to me like a 'must try'.  I like the idea of being able to freeze the dough and bring it out on a day when you are just too busy to make the whole recipe but have a craving for a home-made cookie!

Thank you for this one Amy!!  What a great idea for a way to bake a fresh small batch of cookies on the spur if the moment if compamy pops in unexpectedly for a cup of tea or coffee.  This happens to me a lot during the holidays :))  xo

This is one of my favourite cookies ever, I LOVE Shortbread. Sorry the picture isn't the best, but it was taken in a hall through the glass case when I entered it in the local show. I like to roll it out into a circle and mark it up/cut it into "Petticoat Tails", but you can cut it to any shape/shapes you like. NOTE: The recipe uses Australian Measurements of a 250 ml size cup.

BUTTER SHORTBREAD

Ingredients:

250 Grams Unsalted Butter

3/4 Cup Caster Sugar (Cup size 250ml)

(or Pure Icing Sugar)

3 Cups Plain Flour

1 Teaspoon Baking Powder

Method:

Cream butter & sugar. Gradually add sifted flour & baking powder, mixing into a firm dough. Roll out to a 1/2 cm thickness, shape/cut as desired.  Place on greased oven tray, prick surface with a fork & sprinkle with a little extra sugar. Bake in slow oven 150° C for approx 25/30 minutes, until golden brown.  Makes about 36 cookies.  Note:  Place bowl in hot water to soften if dough becomes too stiff/dry to roll out.

M-m-m-m!!!  I love shortbread and always like to try the recipes of others.  Thanks, Wendy ... xo

This is another of my all time favourite recipes. It would not be Christmas for us without this one, I have made it every Christmas since I was 15 (my Grandma gave me this recipe). My Mum and I love it as it is a really moist and tasty cake, without being too rich like cakes that use alcohol. You can add a Tablespoon of brandy or rum if you like, but I don't. Again this photo was taken in a hall through a glass case at the local show. I was particularly surprised to see I won champion of show with it! Again cup size for this recipe is 250ml.

BOILED PINEAPPLE FRUITCAKE

Ingredients:

500 grams Mixed Fruit

450 grams Crushed Pineapple (including juice)

1 Cup Caster Sugar (250ml size cup)

1/2 Cup Butter (or Margarine) (250ml size cup)

1 Teaspoon Bicarb Soda (baking soda)

2 Eggs

1 Cup Plain Flour (250ml size cup)

1 Cup Self Raising Flour (250ml size cup)

1 Teaspoon Mixed Spice

Method:

Preheat oven to oven 150° C - 300° F. Place fruit pineapple (including Juice), sugar & butter in a large saucepan. Bring to boil stirring well. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat & allow too cool slightly. Prepare a round or square 8 inch (20cm) cake tin with double layer of well-greased brown paper. Stir bicarb soda (baking soda) into fruit mixture. Add eggs & beat well. Stir in sifted flours & Spice & mix well. Spoon the mixture into pre-prepared cake tin. Bake for approx 90 minutes or until cake is done. Due to high moisture content, keeping time is about 2 weeks.

Can't wait to try this - it sounds delicious. (May have to halve the quantities, bake it in a loaf tin and guess the cooking time - not always successful!) And well done on winning first prize!

Wendy, my mouth is watering!  Fruitcake is one of my favourite foods (I am convinced it qualifies as 'health food' - at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

This is such an interesting recipe.  I've never heard of boiling the fruit technique before.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The DECEMBER 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2023 THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2023

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

FEBRUARY

Color Of The Month ORANGE

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2023   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service