At the end of May, Wendy and I were invited to Buccleuch Primary School to accept more than 80 blankets that the children had knitted as part of their English curriculum.  The timing was perfect – just ahead of mid-winter and the blankets were distributed via 67 blankets for Nelson Mandela within a few weeks of being collected.

The children at Buccleuch Primary School knitting blankets for those less fortunate than themselves.

The children were very excited to show off their beautiful creations and posed with their blankets for us.  We explained to them how KAS works and they seemed interested and happy that their blankets would bless and benefit children of their own age, living in very different circumstances.

Some of the many blankets we collected.

It is wonderful to see a renewed interest in knitting and crocheting especially amongst the youth and we have been taken aback by the particular interest in the craft by the boys.  This little boy crocheted this beautiful blanket himself and was so proud of what he had achieved.

Some of the children had also made jerseys and we were so amazed and pleasantly surprised with their skills, considering that none of these children are over the age of 13 years.

You may wonder, as we did, how knitting forms part of the English syllabus, but it is actually more obvious than what you first think.  The teachers encourage the children to practice their reading and general comprehension skills by reading and understanding the patterns – as easy as that!  What an amazing way to teach children basic skills and, in so doing, show them how important it is to contribute to their contemporaries living with so much less !

Some of the children even made a blanket displaying the schools emblem – a castle!

The children helped carry and pack the many blankets into Wendy’s car – we needed the KASvan to collect a donation of items from a business in Midrand, which we visited straight after our visit to Buccleuch. 

The children helping to pack blankets into Wendy’s car.

Update on the postal strike

There is still no end in sight with regards to the postal strike.  Some of the mail is trickling in and this week we received five small parcels which I collected from the Post Office but, sadly, we had to cancel our volunteer day again on Thursday. 

Estelle with the five parcels we received.

I am pleased to report that our blankets stocks are piling up again and next week we will be driving to Soweto in order to collect more than 100 blankets which have been sewn together by the gogo groups in Soweto and Dobsonville.

Our blanket wall – aren’t they just gorgeous?

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What a lovely report and such beautiful work done by all!  It's great to see the boys so happily joining in too.  In our family we have one fellow who used to crochet (and plays hockey, soccer, swimmer and mechanic) and another who knits (socks! no less - also a retired soccer player)  - now, if I could just get them to make one square each .............. !  hmmmmmmm!?

Great work students.  Lovely to see the photos of the blankets.

• What a great contribution the children of Buccleuth Primary School made. 80 blankets! And all under the age of thirteen! Great peer to peer work! I love it that the boys are creating also. I JUST learned how to crochet a granny square. What a headstart they have on some basic life skills!

• 3 cheers to the children from Buccleuch Primary School!! What fine young citizens

• What a wonderful effort by children for children! They should be so proud of themselves. What a great life lesson - helping others; it will stand them in good stead for their life.
  • A super report and I'm so glad to see that blanket wall, despite the Post Office strike.  It's a bounty of love and support for poor children and what could be greater than that?

As for the children at Buccleuch Primary School I am blown away by their hard work, their talent, their giving natures and their willingness to help others.  What shining stars they are! And some even made jumpers...awesome.  High fives to their teachers for using knitting patterns to help their children polish up their reading skills!

• Thank you Ronda and Wendy.  It is wonderful to see children helping children. 

• These children are amazing!  I think it's wonderful that at such a young age they are grasping the opportunity to help others less fortunate.  Bless their hearts, their work is just beautiful!

• This is so uplifting.  Amazing children and amazing teachers.

• What a great effort by these children!

So glad to hear that the gogo groups are still active and sewing. Wow - 100 blankets!  Can hardly wait to hear about your trip to Soweto to see the gogos, and fingers crossed that you will have time to take some photos for us.  Where would we be without these wonderful women?

• What a fantastic contribution by the children! Such beautiful knitting and crochet.

This reply was deleted.