Opening Days in the

Knit A Square Barn 2021

From this...

...to this...

...to this...

...ending with full shelves.

Opening day at the KAS Barn is all about opening parcels and sorting the squares.  Bundling the squares to be sewn into blankets and then preparing blankets for distributions.

We hope that 2021 will be a year of great success for KAS and all the children of South Africa that receive KAS blankets.

Views: 11910

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

The yellow one would be fitting for children in need.

News from The Barn on November 23.  

Notes from Estelle and Ronda.

Opening Day at the KASbarn November 23.
No post today so I guess we did what KNIT A SQUARE does best…show our beautiful blankets and get cracking packing for any upcoming distributions.
Ronda, Ana and Sue working up a blanket design.
Sorting heavier blankets for next winter.
These blankets will soon be wrapped around a young child.
The shelves are rather empty but they will quickly fill up...once again.
Sue and Estelle have been collecting blankets for the Rainbow and Dreams children’s cancer wards. These blankets have to be washed, sanitized and vacuum packed then only opened by the child who will keep it.
We’ve had the most amazing Christmas blankets coming in…can’t wait for the Christmas distribution.
Audrey with some of Marion's wonderful squares.
Thanks for making time to help us once again Ana and for the twenty blankets you brought in.
We looking forward to the following couple of weeks…we’re expecting our local contributors with their beautiful creations to pop in, and we’re all eager to open post.
Athele with a Blue Bird...a good reminder of her faithful car that takes her to faraway places to distribute KAS blankets.
Norma smiling with one of her most recent blankets she joined together.
Sue sewed this beauty together.
Liz with her bunny blanket wanting to share the love.
Viv and Norma sorting and sizing beanies.
Viv packing warm blankets for an upcoming distribution.
Wanda and Themba went off again today to distribute blankets at Joyous Day Care Dlamini 2. Well done!
Wandi's safe return from the distribution she and Themba made this morning.
Boxes waiting for a distribution to be arranged by Leanne.  There will be 100 blankets heading out of The Barn soon to KZ.
Blanket packs for the gogos.  Each bag contains 9 blankets worth of squares.
These handwarmers will be flying out the door soon.

I love seeing everyone’s work arriving and always thrilled to see my own squares and then turning up in some of the blankets shown by the volunteers. Amazing work from all at the Barn. Thank you.

News from The Barn:
Opening Day at the KASbarn November 30 2021.
We were delighted to have post to open today.
It was well worth waiting for, beautiful blankets and squares from Patricia Underwood, Karla Bystrianská, Jill Lea, Ada Breeuwer, Pat Zimmerman and Andreja Jagacic to name but a few.
Karla's Blankets
Items from Patricia Underwood
A parcel from Croatia and Sue with a blanket from there.
Then…Sunél came in with her amazing creations. I loved her frog blanket especially as Sunél knitted a scarf for the matching toy frog. She has supported KAS for many, many years we will miss your visits when we all wait eagerly to see your latest creations. Best of luck with your move to the Cape.
Sunel also collected some toys.
Estelle and Ronda say a sad farewell to Sunel as she prepares to move to the Cape.
Audrey with a beautiful creation.
More from Croatia.
Fabulous squares and dolls from Ada Brewer.
Wilma with her colorful creation.
Wilma and her friend also made jumpers for these cute little bears.
Viv, Wandi, Norma are all tuckered out after a busy day in The Barn and making distributions.  They deserve a good rest.
Themba taking good care of the KAS Van after a day of driving for distributions.
Liz with her wonderful blanket with a caterpillar from Marion Davies.
Look at what Ronda was able to sew together.  Well done.
Linda Francis back with more recycled squares and blankets.
Sue and Ath… happy faces even under Sue’s mask.
A precious not Athele found in one of her parcels.  Home many of us have this exact same problem???
Clear Lake United Methodist Church is always providing us with incredible squares, blankets and toys.
For me this was the highlight of the day. Sue reading the card that was sent with the SPORT blanket from Sally Patterson. Lump in the throat stuff!
I wish that I could post photos of all the parcels we open but hopefully you’ll be able to recognize a blanket or a single square in a blanket. Once again many thanks.

Always pleased to see that your own parcels have arrived. Some stunning blankets here, but I love love love those hexagons, and of course the Sport one and the message with it is particularly touching.

So many beautiful blankets and toys!!

Question - what are "recycled" squares and blankets, please?

Thank you very much for all photos. There´s a lot of beautiful blankets, toys and handwarmers. I admire Wilma´s colourful creation and most of all I love the Sport blanket from Sally Patterson. It´s really unique. I´m also pleased to see my two blankets I sent in October but unfortunatelly another two of my parcels from July /7th, 28th/ are still on the way...

Due to the latest COVID outbreak in South Africa, December 8 was the last day THE BARN was open for 2021.  Current plans are to reopen on January 11 or 18, 2022.

Estelle has outdone herself this year in providing weekly updates that take us right into The Barn.  If only we had audio to hear all the giggles, excited exclamations and conversations.

Here is the last report for 2021, with photos provided by Estelle and Ronda.

Opening and closing day of the KASbarn December 7 2021.
We always love to have post to open and today’s was super thank you. We received lovely squares and blankets.
The blanket of the day was from Liz Gyldenhuis. Liz took Marion Davies SNOOPY square on a bush holiday to join. Her friend absolutely loved it and decided it was hers to stitch together. Well…she matched the colours perfectly and hey presto we have a MASTERPIECE.
Some more fabulous blankets stitched together by Ronda and her volunteers.
Liz
Wandi
Norma
Vivienne
Audrey with the grandson Sheldon
Athele
Sue
My dear friends Eric Lyall and Bhai Seedat who always support our Christmas distributions with fruit drinks and chips for the children, packed 48 goody bags for us this year for smaller distributions. They were filled with crisps, a fruit drink, fancy hats, blowers and balloons. Thank you two superstars.
Unfortunately Athelé Oosterbroek and I had to postpone our big Christmas distribution due to our fourth wave of Covid. We are devastated as we were hoping to bring a bit of Christmas cheer to 300 children.
Susan Lydford Bowen has done an amazing job working with Bonni from Rainbows and Dreams, for 30 children to have a special blanket for Christmas.
Bonnie with Sally Patterson incredible sports blanket.
Some of the blankets heading for Rainbows…. Marion’s Lion King, Ada Breeuwer’s 2021, Joy Jones Vroom Vroom, Snoopy, Lesley Kings blue and yellow fabulous blanket, one of Heathers I think, Ronda’s amazing turquoise and white one and Cath Riley’s POP blanket.
We do enjoy a Show and Tell with Heather Regenass and Joyce Drake when they bring their enormous bags of blankets. Today it was 37 beautiful and recycled blankets from The Misfits. That makes a total of 259 blankets you have brought us this year. Thank you.

It’s been another most unusual year. Coronavirus has had a major impact on all our lives…Blanket packs waiting to go the gogos to be sewn into blankets.
...more and more people have struggled to make ends meet and yet we still have your ongoing support.
Some fabulous SA flag colour squares and matching hand warmers from Jayne Clifford.
I think this beauty that Sue opened was from Sally-Ann Rothwell.
Liz with amazing cross-stitch work from Marion Davies.
Blankets from Birdie
Viv with a beauty from Kathleen Large.

We are grateful and we are blessed, we wish you a Merry Christmas and a safe and healthy Festive and Holiday Season.
With our love and best wishes,
From all of us at the barn.

Wonderful photos from the barn, thank you. Love seeing everyone’s crafting. It’s always a bonus to see some of my squares, love the snoopy & elephants blankets, Liz! It must be so disappointing for you all to have to postpone the big Xmas distribution after all your hard work getting everything ready but it’s better to be safe from the new wave of COVID. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a well earned rest, you certainly deserve it.

Today amongst all the beautiful blankets I spotted 3 of my picture squares, a digger, a tractor and a frog :))

What an incredible organisation KAS is, the amazing team at the Barn enabling us across the world to help keep the children warm with our crafting!

Sincere thanks to all of you in the Barn for the work that you do, I wish you all a Happy Christmas and hopefully a safer new year!

If it’s Tuesday it must be Barn Day. Unfortunately the barn is closed till the new year. We thought we needed one more week to collect enough squares to keep us busy stitching blankets together, clear the tables of different sized squares and do a general tidy up but as usual the energetic volunteers made it happen! 

Amy, thank you for posting The Barn reports so promptly each week. Amy you have been a STAR supporting us and have always been there to identify squares or blankets for me. I think the photos have given our contributors some idea of what goes on in the barn and it’s always satisfying to get their feedback. 

Merry Christmas to you and your family, and to all of our wonderful contributors who make KAS such an amazing Charity. 

I always look forward to Tuesday evenings to see what's been going on in the Barn that day. Thank you to all the team for making it happen.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The JULY Squares List is delayed.

Our sincere apologies.

~~~~~~~~~~

The JUNE 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

AUGUST

Color Of The Month LAVENDER

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service