Opening Days in the

Knit A Square Barn 2021

From this...

...to this...

...to this...

...ending with full shelves.

Opening day at the KAS Barn is all about opening parcels and sorting the squares.  Bundling the squares to be sewn into blankets and then preparing blankets for distributions.

We hope that 2021 will be a year of great success for KAS and all the children of South Africa that receive KAS blankets.

Views: 11602

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So sorry to hear about your health issues, Lesley.   I hope that you are on the mend and feeling better soon.  Please that care of yourself!

I have private messaged you Lesley. 

Lesley, your blue and yellow blanket is so beautiful!

I'm so sorry to hear about your ongoing problems, Lesley. Hopefully you can enjoy summer in South Africa and then be well enough to come to England in time for our summer. Such a shame you couldn't make it to the Barn but your health and wellbeing must come first.

Indeed, Patricia, one of the positives in this situation is that I'm missing the British winter and hope to be in Derbyshire in time to see the spring flowers. Haven't altogether given up hope of visiting the Barn, perhaps in February, but I've learned the wisdom of not making plans!!

Fingers crossed then, Lesley!

Our lively update from Estelle today:

Opening day at the KASbarn November 9 2021.
As there was no post to open we concentrated on labeling 100 blankets for Leanne to send to KwaZulu-Natal.
A few more lovely Christmas blankets arrived from Audrey, Liz and Mandy. My blanket for the week a fabulous BIG numbers square from Marion Davies.
All the volunteers were hard at work still sorting Christmas squares and trying to clear the tables of the different size squares...
...until Portia arrived with her 90 plus blankets.
It was all hands on deck as the blankets were photographed, labeled and packed.
Portia was ready for a nap and Bongi managed to have her cup of tea.
Themba and Wandi collected blankets and delivered bundles to Protea South and Rockville. Those look like some beautiful Cath Riley’s you have collected Wands.
We missed you today Ath , you would have been SO proud of me I took one normal size black square home.
We are all looking forward to a massive postal delivery next week.

Lovely! So many pretty blankets. I love having some blanket cake too, best kind, really satisfying and no calories! Love seeing the blankets being piled up for photos in the video, next best thing to being there. Great work ladies!

Thanks for sharing for everyone to enjoy Amy. 

What a day in The Barn.  

A small amount of post, but the Christmas colors were everywhere...

Here is Estelle's marvelous report.

Opening Day at the KASbarn November 16 2021.
There was not an enormous amount of post to open but we’re always excited and grateful when the parcels arrive. We did manage to clear that post which left us time for folding and packing the blankets Ronda photographed.
It was almost a full house of regular volunteers- we did miss your smiling face Wandi.
Bongi tying on a KAS label to a blanket.
Mandy and Leanne
Ana and Athele
Viv with a blanket from Chris Chiplen
Liz with one of her Christmas blankets she sewed together.
Athele with a blanket featuring Marion Davies amazing cross-stitch pig.
Norma with a blanket she put together using Sharon Rains Bedgood's bright squares.
More Christmas blankets and blanket and squares from our wonderful contributors arrived. 
Sue is hiding behind this cheerful Christmas blanket.
We loved your blanket and squares that Ath found in one of parcels. Thank you Katie Winters.
We seemed to have more time to organize the barn and our tables today.
I’m not sure what Viv found so hilarious…perhaps it was our singing Happy Birthday to her. 😂🤣
Linda Francis was one of our few visitors today, she collects not so square squares and recycles them for her friend Liz Broderick to knit into perfect squares….they were snapped up pretty quickly while I was still sorting them.
A stunning blanket put together by Athele.
Home time Ronda - after another productive happy morning in the barn.

Lots of activity and beautiful blankets! How lovely it is to see the festive Christmas blankets, Sharon’s bright squares now beautifully sewn together by Norma, Marion’s fun pig and so many other lovely squares!
I’m amazed to see my November theme blanket has already arrived, ‘snail mail’ from the UK is very quick at the moment :))

Yes Chris, your packages are flying off to South Africa.  The children are so lucky to be getting your amazing creations.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2021

SQUARES LIST

The MARCH 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

May

Color Of The Month YELLOW

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service