Opening Days in the

Knit A Square Barn 2021

From this...

...to this...

...to this...

...ending with full shelves.

Opening day at the KAS Barn is all about opening parcels and sorting the squares.  Bundling the squares to be sewn into blankets and then preparing blankets for distributions.

We hope that 2021 will be a year of great success for KAS and all the children of South Africa that receive KAS blankets.

Views: 11975

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

The Barn is closed for one week due to a holiday and then it becomes a beehive of activity.

Thank you Estelle for these photos and a marvelous recap of all the day's activities!

Opening Day at the KASbarn May 4 2021.
I’ve decided to open with “KAS in a Nutshell “ as I love it, think it’s brilliant and it’s exactly what we’re about at KNIT A SQUARE. Thanks Chris I believe you wrote this many years ago.
Although there weren’t too many parcels to open today we didn’t complete that task.
Mands holding squares from Trish Gribble and her team. I posted this photo last week but forgot to mention that those squares make up the 600th blanket from Trish, that’s amazing 🤩 thanks to you and your team.
Viv with a stunning red, blue and white blanket from Chris Chiplen and the biggest ball of yarn, over 400gms , that some of us have seen. Thanks Chris.
Amy’s P is for Penguin and her emojis squares waiting patiently to be incorporated into blankets. We were also delighted to receive this Basketball College blanket from Amy’s husband. Richard I’m sure that it wasn’t easy parting with that memento but can you imagine the thrill it will give the children from an orphanage or a crèche to display it.
Happiness for me today was opening a parcel from Marion Davies from North Wales. Squares made with love 💗💖🤎🧡💙💜, a counting lady bug and many more....
Heather, Joyce and Hilke from MISFITS brought 29 absolutely stunning blankets to the barn today. They recycle odd squares, knit and crochet new ones to create these fabulous blankets. Their aim is to bring us 200 blanket this year and they’re well on their way to achieving it. 🙏🏻👏🏻
Leigh-Ann was also in with 15 of her incredible Not A Square blankets. You’re a ⭐️ thanks.
I couldn’t resist a pic of Wandi’s fabulous hat and her smiling eyes, you brought spring into the chilly barn today Wands. 🌼🌿🌻
Bongi with two magnificent, soft cuddly blankets from Patricia Underwood, your choice of yarn and the colours are superb Patricia thank you.
It was great to see Audrey today with her nine super blankets. 🙏🏻
We had a visit from Kate Balendon who runs Circle ⭕️ 108 who was notably impressed by the sheer volume of blankets, squares toys, beanies and hand warmers that we receive from our remarkable KAS supporters.
Viv helping Wandi pack for her distribution next week, a lovely parcel of knitted toys and squares from Sue Ferry and Viv holding up a blanket joined by one of Portia's Gogos who incorporated some of Susanne Levertons farm animal squares. Susanne your support has been amazing🙏🏻
Sue, who didn’t stop for a moment today, and Audrey adding to our ever growing mountain.
Who can spot Ronda’s head just peeping out?
Sue and Ronda made light work of processing that mountain of blankets...wish I’d taken a pic of the green carpet but it was another go, go, go morning at the barn.

I’m so pleased and delighted to see that my parcel has finally arrived at the Barn, I was starting to get worried about the length of time it was taking- even allowing for any COVID hold ups- It has taken 7 months to arrive using economy mail. Another 2 parcels were posted in January, it will be interesting to see how long they take to arrive.

Thanks Estelle and Amy for another great update of the Barn Activities, I so enjoy reading them and seeing everyone’s work arriving.

I'm noticing quite a difference in the time my parcels take to arrive. These blankets were posted on the 24th February (economy rate) but other parcels posted earlier have yet to appear.

It's lovely to see so much activity in the Barn again and so many wonderful squares and blankets.

I agree Patricia. I am still waiting for a package from January to arrive, yet they one I mailed in March is in The Barn.  We pay lots for air mail...our only option...so I have to assume it is sitting in the PO somewhere in SA.

So many beautiful blankets, and so interesting to see what is going on - thank you for putting that together for us to see. My absolute favorite is the green and purple blanket in the last photo - its gorgeous!!

Thanks Sadie, very encouraging comment, I must now definately make a granny blanket  Roz xx

Hi everyone, it's been ages since I contributed to the forum.  BUT I see my Knitathon blanket, very exciting.  Many years ago I bought purple, green and white yarn to make a granny square blanket, Suffragette colours to commemorate a Suffragette  anniversary, I think.  When I saw the KAS invitation to the Knitathon, I started to search my stash for suitable yarns and right at the bottom was a plastic (yuk) bag with my 'suffragette' yarns.  The decision was made, many thanks to Cath Riley, who I think was the project leader, I enjoyed making the squares and I love the finished result, thanks to the stitcher who made the blanket.  It occurs to me now that maybe I should collect those colours again and do a 35 x 8" square granny blanket for KAS xx

I'm so pleased in your making comments Rosamund,  and am delighted you have seen your blanket too.    Of course it would be great to see you make more - a little encouragement can get folk a long way ❤️.

I love the colours of your blanket, Rosamund. It’s always a thrill to see one’s work on the forum. I’d certainly like to see a granny blanket, purple is one of my favourite colours.

What an amazing bounty of beautiful blankets! I’m so pleased to see that my red white and blue blanket has arrived (Glo’s March theme, New to You).

Marion, I also use economy mail and I’m amazed how quickly my parcels arrive in the blanket room! As we both live in Wales, it’s hard to figure out why there should be such a difference! I guess we will never know, the important thing is that all that we send arrives..... eventually :))

Amy, I’m glad you like ‘KAS in a Nutshell’. I wrote it last summer, when I was trying to think how I could describe KAS in a few words..... not easy! Normally, I want to say so much about our beloved KAS, but there are times when it helps to be a little less verbal and ‘in a Nutshell’ is what is needed.

IT IS PERFECT.  You will be seeing it in lots of places from now on.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The OCTOBER 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

DECEMBER

Color Of The Month RED

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service