The April Challenge

April is (nearly) here (although my garden doesn't yet think so), and it's time to announce this months challenge!

If you were with us this time last year then you will remember that April was the first month that was made into a challenge, a tradition that has held on right the way around the calendar again. For those who we missed in April last year, here’s what April is all about in KAS.

“The April Challenge” is set up to be a personal challenge where you are in a race against yourself. The idea was brought upon my own ‘square a day’ pledge, where in order to keep up with my pledge I found myself making squares at school, on the bus, while studying – anywhere where I could grab enough time to add another row. April is all about finding and using those extra five minutes – it could be while the pot is boiling, in waiting rooms or on public transit, anywhere where you suddenly find yourself with a couple moments and not much else to do. You may be amazed at how fast those squares grow when you start looking for and using those little pockets of time.

This month, set up a pledge for you – it can be a square a day, a hat a week, two slip-overs in the month, three squares every weekend – whatever is workable for you, so long as it’s a pledge that pushes you slightly more than usual (barring any injuries please!) Now try to keep up with it -try to maximize the time you have available to you and start to look for those few minutes during the day where you could be working towards your goal. The April Challenge is all about knitting and crocheting in weird places! I knew of a woman who used to keep her knitting in the car and knitted at red lights.

And just to give you an idea of what sort of numbers are achievable by just a small amount of people, last year we made 763 items in the April Challenge, and the number of members we had at that point was no even a quarter of the number of members that we have this year, I think we should have no problem exceeding that number this year.

As of April 1st the Challenge is on. Keep me posted on the number of items you have made and we'll continue the count right through until the last day of the month. This is being posted in Ravelry as well, so if you are also a Ravelry member please do not count the same items twice.

total items so far: 1081

totals:

Kyla - 18 squares

Paulette Pronk - 110 squares, 1 go-over, 3 slipovers, 29 hats, 3 neck scarfs, 1 pair of socks

Anne Powell - 60 squares, 1 KAScuddle

Christine Johnson - 84 squares

Elizabeth - 7 beanies, 3 slipovers

Margaret Wakefield - 10 squares, 4 beanies, 2 vests, 2 jumpers and a poncho

Alice Reynolds - 29 squares 

Sue Gillman - 47 squares

Jeanne - 16 squares, 5 hats, 1 KAScuddle

Laurie C Hake - 67 squares

Rona - 32 squares, 5 hats

Elizabeth Pickering - 36 squares

Gelareh Taj - 3 squares, 4 toys 

Jeni - 70 squares 

Linda Maltby and David - 63 squares, 3 go-overs

J Wayne Scherffius - 6 squares 

Cathy - 15 squares 

Keli Jean - 12 squares 

Connie - 20 squares, 3 hats

Suzanne DeFalco - 1 large go over, 1 baby sweater

Nina Vandervaart - nearly 2 go-overs, 3 hats, 9 squares 

Linda Simmons and Edna - 23 squares

Jen Phillips - 11 squares and 8 hats

Diane McTigue - 50 squares, 1 hat 

Jacqueline Sousa - 12 squares,1 go-over
Jacqueline Sousa's group - 80 squares, 2 baby blanket

Duane Kubiak - 30 squares

Margaret Wakefield - 28 squares, 13 beanies, 6 vests, 5 jumpers and 1 poncho

Ann Glendinning - 8 squares

Elaine Jones - 20 squares

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm quite behind in getting the squares mailed off, but did so yesterday. Sent them to PP, but they were my April challenge - 20 squares. I made an effort to create squares of different crochet stitchs that I had not tried before, so it was fun for me.
    • Way to go Claudia. The fact that we don't send our items all at the same time is a good thing, staggers the arrivals at the other end for them. :)

Jeanne
      • Oh absolutely wonderful everyone - I think last year was 800, so we have really done a great job this year. Thank you all so much as always.
  • Amazing total for April ! Good job everyone !!
  • our group met last night and the tallies from last night are 29 more squares and one more baby blanket
    so up the totals for the group to 80 squares and 2 baby blankets - :)
    • Two thumbs way waaaayyy up to all of them Jacqueline. Do thank them so much for us! The kids are going to benefit so much. Let them know they are stitching hope for the children, hope and self esteem. It helps so much to know you're not invisible, that to somebody you matter. It can make all the difference in a life. I hope everyone who is contributing to KAS knows this...it involves working heart to heart, ours to theirs. :)
      • we do have a great group i must say - i am going to send the squares to planet purl and the rest will get sent off to soweto

good take this month -- gearing up for may now
        :)
  • ....WOW....what busy fingers in April!!!!!!!
    • Yeah, alot of smoking and glowing with heat knitting needles and crochet hooks out there!
  • I'm so glad you broke the 1,000 mark! Congrats to everyone - some of you were way busier than I was, from the numbers. Very impressive!
This reply was deleted.