Hi Everyone.

New Year - New (updated) Discussion.

To simplify things (and for me 'simple' is ALWAYS better...lol) we have decided to combine two of your favourite discussions: Yarn-aholics Therapy and Anyone Feel Like A Chat? We thank Jeni (Harrison's Mum) and Kalai for initiating these wonderful avenues for sharing, which will be archived and still available for reading and reminiscing. 

I know I've laughed, cried and commiserated with many of you over the years and so it is my pleasure to offer you this opportunity to continue to share with your friends in 'Share A Yarn?'

Who doesn't love to share a yarn?...Well, I probably prefer to share a yarn (tale) than share a yarn (my stash)...lol.

So all you lovely folk, let's keep things humming along.....well maybe 'humming' is not a good word to use in my case. I recently learned from my hubby that he doesn't like my humming...only took him almost 32 years to tell me.....but I think it may also have taken him 31+ years to work out WHY I hum. When I'm happy, I tend to sing (or la, la, la, as I never know all the words to a song)....but when I'm tired (I think to keep myself awake) irritated or just plain CROSS, I hum.....LOL.

There you go...there's my first 'yarn to share'.

I look forward to seeing and/or reading yours...please share....you are among friends.  :))

yarn holder/unwinder

Views: 15667

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

yes I am Sharon I started on blanket no 2 yesterday will post a pic when I have done a bit more to it already wrapped blanket no 1 up found some lovely wrapping paper with dogs and cats and cupcakes etc on it not very babyish but nice and cheerful,they don't seem to do baby wrapping paper now only ones I could find had baby boy or baby girl on it and as we don't know what sex they are I couldn't get that

I think it's a beautiful blanket Ann.  I decided last minute to make a blanket for my new niece when friends said they were driving the 4 hours to go visit this weekend.  So I found a very fast pattern and got it done. I knew, I just knew, that yarn I bought online on sale was meant for something and it made the softest blanket and so easy to work with. There is something to be said for using better quality yarns, particularly if you have arthritis like I do.  In my case it was a simple dc ch1 dc "v" into every 3rd chain in the foundation row.  I was able to do it up over 2 days. I love your blanket Ann and am wondering how fast it works up?  I didn't have any baby wrapping paper either so stuck the folded up blanket into a bright Happy Birthday bag with some bright green tissue paper, as it is her birth day. I find it so hard to pick colors that work for both sexes, there's so much about the pink for girls, blue for boys bit.  Apparently originally the boys wore pink and the girls wore blue, years ago. This is basically the stitch I did, but in dc not sc and using a variegated red yarn plus a red yarn, two together. I edged it in white. I just wanted to encourage you to continue on your 2nd one Ann, the first one is stellar!

yes it does crochet up quite quick the pattern can be found on attic24`s page under the tutorial of ganny stripe blanket

also I have started another blanket for twin 2

this pattern for blanket 2 is from the cosy blanket pattern again on attic24,

Lovely pattern, superb colour combo, Ann......please post a pic when you have finished it.  :))

I like the idea of alternating lacier rounds with solid rounds, makes it warmer.  Again, love the colors and you're quite far along already.  Way to go!

I woke this morning with this idea don;t know if it is a good idea or not. Considering the postal strike in SA and the back log of square that will eventually arrive would it be an idea for us to put the squares into strips before posting therefore speeding up the assemble when they finally reach KAS. They coul be either strips of 7 or 5 squares

Well we've discussed this idea before, Mary, years ago actually, and there was a worry that if Customs opened the parcels they could claim strips were scarves and then charge for importing clothes.  The likelihood of it happening seems to be remote in the extreme.  People sometimes send fully assembled blankets and they get through alright.  We have many willing helpers in South Africa, just waiting for the squares to arrive.  Certainly bundling the squares into packs of 5 or 10 helps.  If you feel impressed to send some strips I think you'll be alright to do so and no one will get dinged at the other end with duties, though we tend to stick with the single squares just to be safe.

Bev that is something else again!  Wow.  Amusing and reminds me of driving through the large paddocks at African Lion Safari in southern Ontario, Canada where an Ostrich decided the sticker on the inside of our rental car's front window was some kind of bug and he wouldn't quit pecking at the windshield for about 5 minutes.  Amusing but also worrying he'd scratch the glass. :)

Here is a super chart for how much yarn is needed for various items...I am tempted to print this off!  Found it on Pinterest.

How much yarn do I need for a knitting project? Awesome, printable infographic you'll use every day!

That's neat!!!! Thank goodness I only have to store the wool AFTER its processed.....lol.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The OCTOBER 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

NOVEMBER

Color Of The Month BROWN

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service