The United Nations' (UN) International Literacy Day annually falls on September 8 to raise people's awareness of literacy issues in the world and so we have decided to use EDUCATION as our theme this month.

SO WHAT’S THAT ALL ABOUT???

OF COURSE -  AS ALWAYS, IT’S ABOUT THEME SQUARES.....

How do you put education into a blanket??? How about alphabet squares???..... or number squares with counting dots?...... or squares with simple words?........ or squares with geometric shapes??? I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Remember - these are for little children, so they need not be elaborate... they just need to be fun and bright.

AND IT’S ALSO VERY MUCH ABOUT PLAIN JANES.....

As always, our greatest need is for plain jane squares to go with the embellished ones..... So, all you plain jane knitters, think about bright, crayon colours this month and please post your squares here - we want to see them! In so many of the photos, the brightest things in the creches are the blankets made from our squares.

BUT IT’S ALSO ABOUT SLIP-INS AND FUN STUFF .....

We’ve all seen, in the distribution photos, some creches where a huge effort is being made to give the children a head start before they go off to ‘real school’.... and we’ve seen others, which are so short of supplies that they seem like somewhat dismal places. You can see in this photo what a difference receiving these little extras makes to the care-givers.

This is a great month to consider adding slip-ins of much needed supplies, so if you find some, post a photo in the discussion.

For those of you who want a change from making squares, you might consider making picture books like these from Helen Flagg’s group.

For inspiration, you might want to check out Andrea Palmatier’s wonderful downloadable set of flashcards here

AND IT’S ABOUT OUR BREAKING NEWS .........We have a new addition in the Shop this month. For a just $5.00, you can provide a ream of paper (500 sheets) or a set of exercise books for a creche in need.

If you are able, please consider making a donation here. This is an inexpensive way of providing much-needed paper for the children, and since it is so heavy to mail, you will save the postage costs.

Since this item appeared in the Shop a couple of weeks ago, 40 Reams of Paper have been purchased by our members. Hopefully, since our focus is on Education this month, the total will have risen by the end of September. Watch for an update!

A creche with 25 children will use up a ream in a month - even if they only get one sheet per day.

Our wonderful Laurie Fortier has already set up the Pinterest page for this challenge......  it's just waiting for your creations at

http://pinterest.com/forstew/knit-a-square-september-challenge-educational-squa/

Thanks to Gitta our Education Photo Album is up and running at

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/september-2013-challeng...

NOTE - THIS CHALLENGE WILL RUN THROUGH TO OCTOBER 6

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am sliding these in just under the wire for the September theme. After all, it is still October 6 :)

Anne, this has been a really fun month.  Thanks to everyone, I have picked up new ideas and techniques.  It has been an education for me, as well.

It's difficult to see in the photo, but there is a "g" beside the giraffe.  "M" is for monkey and "L" is for the lion the doesn't show up very well.

2886729058?profile=RESIZE_320x320"Z" for zebra and "T" for turtle.

2886728763?profile=RESIZE_320x320Vertical and Horizontal

2886729377?profile=RESIZE_320x320

• 2965086371?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

I have been doing a lot of travelling on crowded trains for the last month, where there was no room to do proper knitting projects, so I made these tiny "counting" bear finger puppets instead!

• September Education Challenge K thru Q

Added by Mary Anne Fellows on October 6, 2013 in Photos

2965086483?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• September Challenge - Education

Three elephants in 3 shades of green.

• This has been an extraordinary challenge in so many ways because of each and every one of you wonderful women!

2965086135?profile=original

• Anne, this is not enough, but will have to do:

2965086211?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Anne, I thought you might need lots of Popcorn Plain Janes for your wonderful challenge. Thank you and your wonderful "family team" so much for everything you do for KAS. Laurie and Gitta, thank you so much for your great jobs too. xoxo

I have 19 red and 17 cerise popcorn squares ready to go to SA :)

2886738071?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• My final fling at the Sept. Challenge, with 5 crayon colour granny squares.  Thank you again to everyone for another inspiring  month. of squares.

2886728327?profile=original

• My last square for this challenge

2965086172?profile=original

• Hi Everyone

This month has been a hectic one, so I've not been on the forum for a couple of weeks and have missed hearing from you all, your comments and your photos.   Last night I had my first chance to take a real peek and as usual am bowled over by all your ideas and wonderful creations.  Well done, one and all.  There will be many lovely blankets in SA once this challenge is all sewn up. (Poor pun, I know.  Sorry!).

I haven't managed as much as usual, but here are the fraction flags that I have been plugging away at in odd moments.  Hope to get more done next month.

2886728347?profile=original

This reply was deleted.