The United Nations' (UN) International Literacy Day annually falls on September 8 to raise people's awareness of literacy issues in the world and so we have decided to use EDUCATION as our theme this month.

SO WHAT’S THAT ALL ABOUT???

OF COURSE -  AS ALWAYS, IT’S ABOUT THEME SQUARES.....

How do you put education into a blanket??? How about alphabet squares???..... or number squares with counting dots?...... or squares with simple words?........ or squares with geometric shapes??? I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Remember - these are for little children, so they need not be elaborate... they just need to be fun and bright.

AND IT’S ALSO VERY MUCH ABOUT PLAIN JANES.....

As always, our greatest need is for plain jane squares to go with the embellished ones..... So, all you plain jane knitters, think about bright, crayon colours this month and please post your squares here - we want to see them! In so many of the photos, the brightest things in the creches are the blankets made from our squares.

BUT IT’S ALSO ABOUT SLIP-INS AND FUN STUFF .....

We’ve all seen, in the distribution photos, some creches where a huge effort is being made to give the children a head start before they go off to ‘real school’.... and we’ve seen others, which are so short of supplies that they seem like somewhat dismal places. You can see in this photo what a difference receiving these little extras makes to the care-givers.

This is a great month to consider adding slip-ins of much needed supplies, so if you find some, post a photo in the discussion.

For those of you who want a change from making squares, you might consider making picture books like these from Helen Flagg’s group.

For inspiration, you might want to check out Andrea Palmatier’s wonderful downloadable set of flashcards here

AND IT’S ABOUT OUR BREAKING NEWS .........We have a new addition in the Shop this month. For a just $5.00, you can provide a ream of paper (500 sheets) or a set of exercise books for a creche in need.

If you are able, please consider making a donation here. This is an inexpensive way of providing much-needed paper for the children, and since it is so heavy to mail, you will save the postage costs.

Since this item appeared in the Shop a couple of weeks ago, 40 Reams of Paper have been purchased by our members. Hopefully, since our focus is on Education this month, the total will have risen by the end of September. Watch for an update!

A creche with 25 children will use up a ream in a month - even if they only get one sheet per day.

Our wonderful Laurie Fortier has already set up the Pinterest page for this challenge......  it's just waiting for your creations at

http://pinterest.com/forstew/knit-a-square-september-challenge-educ...

Thanks to Gitta our Education Photo Album is up and running at

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/september-2013-challeng...

NOTE - THIS CHALLENGE WILL RUN THROUGH TO OCTOBER 6

Views: 13273

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Some more counting dots - but that's it - I can only count to eight

Inspired by LoomaHat, this is my first one for the kids.  It's really fun to do!

SEMPTEMBER CHALLENGE 2013 Loom Hat

The kids can count the 10 different colors.

SEPTEMBER CHALLENGE 2013 Number 10

I'm adding my graph from the Drive to Fill Ronda's KASVan.   I started it last month when the theme was stripes (and I saw stripes everywhere!), but now that the Van has been filled twice! the graph is complete, and this square seems just right for the education theme.

Also adding my version of the Warm Hearted Square with a little poppet in the pocket formed by the heart.  (because, when you are making poppets, it is easy to make an extra one).

Just had an update from Erica about sales of our Ream of Paper now available in the Kas Shop for $5.00.

The total number sold to date is 61, with 20 being sold in September. 

What wonderful news! That may sound like a lot of paper, but when you think of it, a creche with 25 children will use up a reem (500 sheets) in one month even if they only get one sheet per day! This is such a great opportunity for us to provide the kids something many creches simply cannot afford to buy.

If you are able to contribute, please visit the Shop and let's try to add to this total. 

Hi folks! Sorry I haven't been on here much this month but life has been very hectic! 

Here are my first 3 squares for this challenge. The dark colour is a deep midnight blue with a lighter blue sparkle through it and the red is also sparkly. I'm aiming to make a whole alphabet blanket this month, so I'd better crack on! 

Wow! There have been so many fantastic squares this month... each time I come and check this thread, I leave with even more ideas for squares, which I know I just won't get time to make *sigh*! Never mind.... I have just completed "D for Dog"..... I'm hoping to do some colour blend squares next... I could maybe knit them on the diagonal and do "blue + red = purple", "red + yellow = orange", "blue + yellow = green" etc... I better get a move on, hadn't I? :)

Blackboard

Here are the next couple of letters, along with a nearly plain Jane to enhance them. The lighter colour is actually pale yellow, though it looks cream in this picture! 

I love all the photos on the Pinterest board - what talent abounds! 

And a few more... 9 down, 26 to go! 

Numerals 7 and 8

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The AUGUST 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

SEPTEMBER

Color Of The Month GREEN

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service