New to Knit-a-Square?  Have a question about making squares, navigating the Forum,  iPad or phone access to the forum, using Paypal fo donations, or a question about mailing your squares?

Please read the discussions in the Helpful Hints Category, and if you don't find your answer there, post it below and someone will answer ASAP.  No need to start a new discussion

Just type your question in the Reply to This square right under this intro, click on add reply and presto...your question is now in the list!

Views: 7752

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Linda. Will do so!

I posted two parcels in March. Only one has appeared on the received list. The missing parcel contained 14 hats, 6 hand warmers & 2 teddies. Is there anyway I can check if you have received but not recorded the parcel before I contact the UK Post Office?

Thanks 

Hi Jayne, it is worrisome when one thinks a parcel hasn't arrived. It will probably be received thIs month. Very few parcels have gone astray in all the years Knit-a-Square has been receiving squares. I send 2 or 3 at a time and it is always a surprise when they arrive...never at the same time! In fact, the parcels I sent in March still haven't arrived. They may arrive quickly in South Africa but the SA postal system isn't the most efficient.
Hope this helps
PS The volunteers will be thrilled to find all the lovely items when they open your parcel.

Totally agree with Linda. I remember the first two parcels I ever sent parcels to K-A-S. The second was recorded three months after the first....and they had both been sent at the same time. I have also had a couple of parcels that have never shown on a list, but I've also had 15 jumpers once appear in my name that I have never knitted/sent. The volunteers do the best they can, but mistakes/omissions can occur.

Also, you may like to check the list of names in other countries, as sometimes a person's name can be accidently put under the wrong country.

Thank you for the reassurance, Linda. For the first time in 5 years I have a parcel that doesn't seem to have arrived yet. I'm trying to figure out which one as I've sent 10 over the last few monthe, but it's diffficult as the squares tallies doesn't relate to my packge lists.

Thanks

Hi Maggie.

Plastic sewing needles would be most welcome, thank you.  :))

Here is the link for the 2017 wishlist.

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/forum/topics/wish-list-2017

Thank you so much, Maggie. I know they are always needed.  :))

Whilst on holiday this year I went into a wonderful little wool shop and was having a conversation about KAS with the owner who very kindly let me purchase some end of line 50g balls of yarn for 50p each. During our conversation it came out that she had been told by a missionary at her church that it is not good to use white in any form in Africa as it is seen as a sign of death.  Apparently white is usually worn to funerals.  I don't normally use white myself unless I'm adding it to another colour when I use two strands of yarn.  Can you tell me if this is correct?

Hi Claire.

I also remember that years ago, someone brought up the question of red because they had heard that red was not a colour to use and Ronda made inquiries and found that it was perfectly okay for the children. I think the consensus was that ANY colour is perfectly fine.  :))

Here is a 'copy & paste' of something that I found online......

The following is a list of some of the main colors found in African clothing followed by their meaning to the African people. There can be variations in the meanings depending on the people group you are studying; however, in general these are the most common meanings behind commonly used colors in Africa.

Gold: Gold is an extremely popular color. It represents wealth and fertility.
Red: Red represents tension in the spiritual or political world and is viewed as the color of blood.
Blue: Blue represents love and peace, it symbolizes the sky, and is a harmonious color.
Green: Green represents prosperity and life and is also a medicinal color.
White: Spirituality and purity
The Africans took the meanings and spirituality of the colors in their cloth very seriously.

Thank you so much for that Bev. I can carry on knitting in the knowledge that I won't be upsetting anyone.  I love the meanings behind the colours, their clothes are always so beautiful.

I generally avoid all pale pastels and white but because I think the blankets are not going to be washed frequently as to keep them looking good stick to clear bright or dark colours.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The OCTOBER 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

DECEMBER

Color Of The Month RED

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service