Ronda and Wendy have been producing quite a catalogue of photographs from the recent distributions, rather than post them a few at a time, it was decided to create a discussion page where they could be displayed more speedily so that members might be able to spot their squares, garments or hats earlier!  Spotting one of our own creations in Africa really does spur as on to even greater creativity!

Here is one of the gorgeous children in a
'before' and 'after' photo!

Often one reads comments from members wishing they could do more, but the only thing we have to do, is exactly the amount of goodness that each of us has available from looking after our families etc.,  EVERY SQUARE  is so very valuable, and it does make a difference. KAS members have contributed an astonishing number of squares during the last 4 and half years - added together, we have brought comfort and warmth to thousands upon thousands of deprived, vulnerable, and, sadly often unwell children.  Below is a quote from one of the loveliest Africans to grace that continent - Bishop Desmond Tutu which really summarises everything the KAS Band of Sisters & Brothers do, day in day out, freely and without thought of self!  We knit & crochet to support these children totally unconditionally.

Views: 15941

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

It really boggles my mind, with the belief out there that one person can't really change the world so why bother, to see all these lovely ladies so busily engaged, hands working to make the squares, hands receiving and sewing up the squares into blankets...all of us working together to do so much good...it's just very humbling to realize we are making one heck of a difference....like the story of that person tossing beached starfish back into the ocean after a storm.  Someone watching said 'Why are you doing that?  There's hundreds of thousands, even millions of starfish on this long beach.  You can't possibly make a difference."  The person bent down, picked up another starfish and tossing it back into the waves said, "I made a difference to that one."  And that's EXACTLY what we're doing at Knit A Square...one square at a time, one child at a time...making a difference. :)

"I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and
because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do."

Helen Keller

Thanks Marcie, that is so true about everyone of us!

Love your starfish analogy Jeanne. It's so true!

The piles of KAS blankets taken for distribution at Zenzele!

Wonderful, wonderful, Ladies of Zenzele....every time I see pics of all the lovely ladies who sew these blankets together I just feel so grateful for their efforts....I hate, with a passion, sewing anything (hats, jumpers, vests etc.) together....I am in awe of their 'staying power'....their persistence.

What great photos! What a wonderful idea to put them here.

I think I saw a few sqaures that could be mine, but it's not really important. The important thing is that people all over the world are contributing to great blankets to keep children warm.

I'm amazed at the work that goes into sewing all the squares into blankets.

GOMA (which is Grace Outreach Ministries Africa) hold a massive outreach each year. [In2012 it was held in Protea South - Wandi attended representing KAS.].

The Chinese school came all the way from Pretoria  with 20 students and their teacher, Marelet (and her parents, husband and in-laws too.) They had made 1400 squares which they handed over to the sewing groups.

Here are a selection of the photographs taken on arrival, and, in & around the settlement.

Little bit of 'mugging' for the camera!

The GOMA team gave the children a truly wonderful day with games & competitions, face painting & dancing, singing & foods, and, of course, eventually the KAS blankets and beanies!

Lovely to see the completely natural friendships between all ages and races -not something you would have seen even 10 or 15 years ago perhaps.

Each family's name was called out and a huge box/bucket/sack of groceries handed out - not one person was left out, it was marvellous to see. A fantastic effort and great organisation.

So many kids packed into such a small space.  Glad they had a great day with lots of activities and things to help them make their life better. 

What a wonderful collection of photos and great to see the huge smile on Ronda's face.  She is having the time of her life among such loving giving people and I'm so glad she is!  I am enjoying these photos so much and laughed at the students mugging for the camera.  Kids are kids, no matter where they may be, all deserving of our love and attention.  Seeing the bags of groceries to be handed out is wonderful too.  It's a relief to hear noone was left out though I imagine many more families also need help so GOMA will be vital for a long time yet.  God bless them all.

BEAUTIFUL ZENZELE CHILDREN - At every distribution there will be children who just catch your eye. There is something about them, that one just cannot put your finger on it.  Attached are some of the children at Zenzele, and thought they are not yet wearing their KAS blankets, they are just soooo precious.  

The photos were taken by Ronda and Wendy.

Many of the children had just attended the face painting activity that GOMA provided.

This young lad was face-painted as Spider Man, however, you have to wonder what he has seen in his short life so far.

Sadly this little girl never smiled, and simply stood staring all the time.

This little one had gorgeous smile!

Wendy : This little one kept following me and when we were on our way out we had to carry her back inside and find her care giver!  Ronda always laughs at me because I always seem to get attached to a child at a distribution and I could easily just take them all home!

A vibrant young boy!

These pictures really tug at your heart.  :)

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2021

SQUARES LIST

The MAY 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

June

Color Of The Month TURQUOISE

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service