As you probably already know, when all the lovely squares, hats, toys, vests and sweaters arrive in South Africa, our dedicated volunteers have the job of unpacking them all. Not only do they unpack though, they need to count everything up for the square lists. It's a huge job!
We're going to try something now which we hope will help our volunteers to get through the post a bit faster. It's called the KAS Package Inventory and you can start whenever you're ready to send your next package.
Here's how it works:
- Attached to this forum post is the PDF for the KAS Package Inventory. Open up that file and print off one copy for each package you plan to send.
- Fill in the "This package contains" part at the top, describing what you're sending in the package.
- Fill in your contact details in the "My Details" section. You don't have to fill in everything here unless you want to, but we'd really like a name to put on the square lists.
- Cut along the line marked with the scissors.
- Put the top part of the form inside your package, before you seal it up.
- Firmly tape the bottom part of the form with the address on the outside of your package. (If the label is the wrong size for your package, just hand-write the address and "No commercial value" declaration instead).
- Send your package!
For example, I want to send a package with five squares and a beanie.
I'd start by putting a "5" in the box next to "Knitted/Crocheted Squares", and a "1" next to "Hats/Beanies. Then, I'd write my "Erica Smith" in the Name box, "Australia" in the Country box, and put my email address in the email box. I'd then put the filled in part inside my package before I sealed it up. Finally, I'd put the address on the outside of the package and head off to my local post office to send it.
We hope that by having a list of the contents of each package, written clearly and in a standard format, we'll be able to reduce the administrative work our South African volunteers have to do, and free them up to open even more packages!
If you've got any questions, please feel free to ask them here.
Replies are closed for this discussion.
Thank you for this, Erica.
I will use the form the next time I send a package.
Anything that will make life easier for Ronda and the unpacking team is valuable! Thanks Erica!
This is a great idea. Just one correction, though -- province is spelled with an "i", not an "e". :)
Well spotted Suzanne, will flag it up to Erica!
All fixed, thanks for the heads up!
No problem! Thanks for the fix. :)
Excellent idea !
This is so helpful Erica, thank you for putting this together!
Great. I made several copies so I am ready when postal strike over.
wonderful idea i'm sure that's going to make life so much easier for those on the receiving end
Happy to do anything that makes life easier for the SA team. Thanks Erica.
That's a great idea! I will start doing that with the next package I send :-)