KAS WISH LIST 2012

SQUARES SQUARES SQUARES!

Squares as always are what we need the most.

To make our lives easier, please only leave a tail 50 cms long. We bundle the squares into 50's and they can get into a terrible mess with very long tails.  We would appreciate it if these tails could be neatly butterflied and laid on top of the square and all other ends stitched in.

Send the squares flat with the tails neatly wound on top of the square.  Folded squares or rolled squares with the tails bound take a long time to flatten and sort.  

Neaten the ends. Some squares arrive with the end just snipped off and this may lead to a blanket unravelling.

Be creative - it is lovely to include one creative square in each blanket among the plain jane squares, so if your mood is creative do send us embroidered or other creative squares if you feel like it.  They add yet another dimension to our beautiful blankets.  And please send brightest colours, even luminous, where possible. However, all squares will be used no matter what the colour. We totally understand that using up old yarn is a common situation. Here is a link to the challenges to help with your creative sparkle, please join in! http://forum.knit-a-square.com/forum/categories/challenges-1/listForCategory

Please include a note with your name, address, email address and a list of the contents of the package.

GARMENTS

Yarn - please use yarn (either wool, acrylic, bamboo or cotton) which is soft or softish to touch. 

Square vests – please do not use the pattern from the website. The pattern will soon be removed and replaced with a Slip-Over pattern or a simple vest /tank top pattern, longer in body length. 

Newborn items – sorry for the confusion in this regard. We most definitely DO want newborn items, but our current stock is unbalanced in favour of small items at the moment so before the coming winter it would help enormously helpful for us to receive items in the pre-school/creche (2-8 yr) age group bearing in mind that this is the age-group to which we have greatest access.

Slip-Overs - these garments should definitely be made in soft, yielding yarn as they are either warn directly against the skin or are stretched over other items for added warmth.  They can be made thicker (with two strands of yarn) but perhaps then they should be knitted or crocheted on bigger needles. There are very specific instructions under the SLIP-OVER category on the forum.

Hats – at this point we need these items for children two years and older, again in line with our stock requirements going into winter. Please make sure that some of the hats are large enough to fit a two year old (proportionally a two year olds head is almost the size of an adult, so please keep that in mind when you are knitting/crocheting away!) – sizes medium and large preferred for the next few months.

Jerseys, cardigans, jumpers and baby clothes – again sorry for the confusion! Please keep sending these. We need them. Cardigans are perfectly acceptable in fact Ronda says “we love and adore these items”. As she explained, the very tiny sweaters as per the website pattern tend to have a high neckline which is not comfortable for very small babies. But “own” pattern items, specifically designed for infants are most welcome – plus bootees and mittens.  We have a large collection of teeny beanies at this point.

KASCuddles

We love these! Please keep knitting them. Here is a link to the knit-a-long that we had last year: http://allfororphans.com/kascuddleknit-a-long/

Please send all of these items to OUR knit-a-square address, here is the link to our postal instructions page: http://www.knit-a-square.com/postal.html

DUTY

Please ensure that NO VALUE, NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE and FOR CHARITY ONLY is placed on your custom labels and parcels.  We have to pay a small mandatory handling fee on any box, so if your squares will fit, please send them in a package rather than a box.

OTHER ITEMS

Plastic rain ponchos - these are the most desired of all the 'slip-ins'. We will use every rain poncho sent for the children in the informal shack settlements. The rain comes in deluges and everyone in a shack would be saturated during a rain storm. The ponchos will be used during summer and winter to stay dry inside and outside. 

Stationery - pencils, erasers, sharpeners and ball point pens are most welcome. 

Toys – the toys go down an absolute treat as you would have seen from the photos on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Knitasquare . Please keep sending them!

DONATIONS

As always KAS needs your donations, even just a small amount of money per month makes a big difference. Here is the link to our donations page. Every cent is used in South Africa to allow Ronda and our amazing volunteers to do the work that they are doing: http://www.knit-a-square.com/knit-a-square-donate.html

Two new projects: 

The first one requires funds for Ronda to buy school shoes for Africa Ablaze. Africa Ablaze are currently running a rural school shoe appeal. We do not want shoes sent because they are too heavy, expensive and will definitely incur duty. However, funds donated to KAS can be used toward this appeal, so if you feel like giving some rural children school shoes, please donate here: http://www.knit-a-square.com/knit-a-square-donate.html

The other project we are working with is Aurora Schools project, which is to try and beat the Guinness Book of World Records largest hand-made blanket which is 2500 sq metres (MASSIVE) by Mandela Day THIS year! We have promised them knitting needles and double-knit, or other suitable yarns, to get them started in March. We are getting publicity through their effort and have also promised 250 - 400 blankets to fill in IF required on the day, and also we will help them lay out and cobble together (loosely) the 35-square blankets so that they may be UNcobbled afterwards and distributed. Therefore, knitting needles and yarn are greatly needed as well as plastic and steel wool-sewing needles! (Please send these items to the usual KAS address).

So there you are, the official 2012 wish list. Thank you all for your patience, and please remember, this is just a "wish list" a guideline for what makes our lives easier. It does not matter if you have not done these things, please still send the goods anyway they will all be used!

Just a thought – we are promised SUCH a cold winter here, if people want to pop just one undervest (singlet ?) and one pair of sox in each parcel they would be very welcome indeed.

I have about 6 vests in stock, but of course they sit here waiting for sufficient numbers to gather before I can distribute them.

The sox are flying out – they are extremely popular !

Again, sizes 3 – 10 yrs in all items are the most useful just now.

Just a little reminder for the kind people who purchase them please to remove any price tags or plastic clips - as Customs regards these a saleable products, and, therefore subject to Duty!

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oct.13 2012

Are Knitting needles still needed? I have a friend who has inherited from 4 relatives over the years but there is no use sending if no longer needed. If needed, what size?

Wool sewing needles... would large tapestry needles suit your purpose if they are still needed?

Can you use arctic fleece fabric? I have offcuts that would make a few 8" squares if you can use them. A couple of pieces might even be big enough for cuddles.

Sorry for so many questions but as a new member I am unsure how current your wish list is.

• Hi Diane,

Knitting needles are always appreciated as some of the Go-go's (grannies) would like to learn to knit and help out as well.  The occasional skein of yarn sent in a package will get used for knitting squares.  Arctic fleece fabric makes the most lovely windproof hats, slippers and even vests, though obviously it won't stretch.  However if it's made for a larger child then a smaller one can grow into it over time.  A KAS Cuddle in fleece would work. I just crocheted one and I am lining it with flannelette as I feel it's too gappy. Fleece would work a treat. Just remember to make the bottom edge square across (lots of kicking room) and long enough.  Tapestry needles or even darning needles, which come in plastic and in metal are always needed.  Plastic is lighter and you can sometimes buy bundles of them from China online fairly cheap, rather than $2 a pair in the stores.  Hope this helps a bit for you.  As yarn is usually ranging from sport/DK to worsted weight (medium), any knitting needles that could handle those yarns would be most used I would think.

• Needles of both kinds are always needed for making and sewing squares. I don't know if they still have someone sewing felt squares and therefore fleece squares. Someone may be able to respond. A fleece cuddle sounds good ! Great to have you aboard!

• Just won the bid for 20 plastic yarn needles on e-bay with free shipping to S.A.  It should arrive in about a month. Sent to the Soweto Comfort Club as I did before.

• I forgot to add to the above. It only cost $3.19 and that incl. postage to S.A. for the plastic  needles.

• Wow Jan that is a fantastic bargain!

• If I were to wrap metal knitting needles up well would they make it thought customs?

•  

Just found this post and it's certainly very helpful. I'll be sure to include sox in my next mailing.  I'm especially glad to know the age group that is most in need, so I can make the right size hats.

What do you mean by "butterfly" the tail?   In a different post I read to roll the squares, so I'm a bit confused.

• Hi Toby, Jeanne's description is very good about "butterfly" tails.  Here's a link to a step by step photo description of how to make the butterfly. ( I'm a visual person so like to "see" rather than "read" how to do things.)

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/how-to-secure-the-tails

Also, Ronda would like the hats to fit an adult head.  The children's heads are quite large by the time they are 4 years old.  Plus a child can wear the hat for many years if it is bigger.

Hope this helps.

This reply was deleted.