To Our October 2021 Theme

~ WAITING TO BE CHOSEN ~

Have you, like me, had yarn in your stash for a very long time, just waiting to be chosen, but you have passed over it in favour of other, newer yarn? Or, perhaps you have bought some yarn from a charity shop, never used by its previous owner, and it was just sitting there waiting…… then it was chosen by you!

Well, October could be the month when this yarn has its chance to shine, to fulfill its destiny and be chosen to help warm a child in SA, or perhaps even make a toy!

Appliqués or small needlepoint pictures may be at the bottom of a drawer or your work basket too, so please dig them out, for they too have been waiting to be chosen to enhance a square or a blanket that a child will treasure! 

Do you have a pattern that has been on your ’to do’ list for a while? Well this could be the month you try it!

This month isn’t really an inspirational theme, but I hope it will encourage us all to look at what we have, and do what we can for the children. I hope we can also encourage and inspire each other!

Seeing photos of the children at distributions always motivates me to do as much as I can to help them….. and I know that I’m not on my own, we all wish we could do more!

The children in SA will welcome everything you make in any pattern or colour: blankets, squares, hats, hand warmers and toys!

So happy crafting everyone!

Our Colour of the Month for PJ’s is PURPLE there are so many beautiful shades!

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• October 2021 Theme - Waiting to be Chosen

Finally finished knitting these squares last Monday. It took 'til today to get the appliques sewn on. Finally leaving my tour of Asia and hoping to get to the Americas in December. :))

During my researching of flag meanings, I have sometimes found different or even conflicting information. I have chosen to go with the info below....

The Tibetan flag, also known as the "snow lion flag" and the "Free Tibet flag," was a flag of the military of Tibet, introduced by the 13th Dalai Lama in 1912 and used in the same capacity until 1959. Designed with the help of a Japanese priest, it reflects the design motif of the Japanese military's Rising Sun flag. Since the 1960s, it is used a symbol of the Tibetan independence movement.

According to the Central Tibetan Administration website, the symbolism of the flag includes the mountain representing Tibet, the snow lions of "a unified spiritual and secular life," three-colored jewel of the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. The flag was adopted as a symbol of the Tibetan independence movement and has become known as the "Free Tibet flag". The flag is banned in mainland China.

Red and blue are the traditional colours of Cambodia. The colour blue represents the King of Cambodia and the colour red represents the people of Cambodia. Angkor Wat represents Theravada Buddhism, which is the religion of the majority of Cambodia's population.

The colors of the flag of Cambodia hold great significance to the nation. The two colors represent the bravery of the nation, liberty, cooperation and brotherhood. The flag also features a depiction of the Angkor Wat, which symbolizes justice, heritage and integrity.

The flag of Tajikistan is a tricolour of red, white, and green. The red represents the unity of the nation as well as victory and sunrise. The red also serves as symbolism of the former Russian and Soviet eras, the workers, and the warriors who sacrificed their lives to protect the land.

The flag of Tajikistan is a tricolour of red, white, and green. The red represents the unity of the nation as well as victory and sunrise. The red also serves as symbolism of the former Russian and Soviet eras,[5] the workers,[6] and the warriors who sacrificed their lives to protect the land.[7] The white represents purity, morality, the snow and ice of the mountains, and cotton.[1][8][9][10] The green represents the bountiful generosity of nature, fertile valleys, the religion of Islam, and the celebration of Novruz.[10] Other interpretations of the colours state that the flag symbolically unifies the people of Tajik society, with the red stripe representing the manual labour class, the white stripe representing the intellectual worker class, and the green representing the agricultural class living in Tajikistan's rural or mountainous regions.[11]

While the red and green stripes on the top and bottom are equal in size, the center stripe is one-and-a-half times that of the others.

The crown and stars are set in a rectangle taking up 80% of the white stripe's height. The crown represents the Samanid dynasty and Tajik people, as the name Tajik is connected with Persian tâj "crown" in popular etymology.[12] The flag of Tajikistan features seven stars due to the significance of the number seven in Tajik traditional legends, representing perfection and happiness. According to traditional belief, the heavens feature seven mountains and seven orchard gardens with a star shining above each mountain.[10]

The Philippine national flag has a rectangular design that consists of a white equilateral triangle, symbolizing liberty, equality and fraternity; a horizontal blue stripe for peace, truth, and justice; and a horizontal red stripe for patriotism and valor. In the center of the white triangle is an eight-rayed golden sun symbolizing unity, freedom, people's democracy, and sovereignty. Each ray represents a province with significant involvement in the 1896 Philippine Revolution against Spain;

The Sri Lankan flag....The lion and the maroon background represent the Sinhalese, while the saffron border and four bo leaves represent concepts of mettākaruṇāmuditā and upekshā respectively. The stripes represent the country's two largest minorities, with the orange representing the Tamils living in Sri Lanka – both the native Sri Lankan Tamils and the Indian Tamils of Sri Lanka – and the teal representing the Muslims of Sri Lanka.

Flag of Hong Kong. The design of the flag comes with cultural, political, and regional meanings. The colour itself is significant; red is a festive colour for the Chinese people, used to convey a sense of celebration and nationalism.[8] Moreover, the red colour is identical to that used in the national PRC flag,[9] chosen to signify the link re-established between post-colonial Hong Kong and Mainland China. The position of red and white on the flag symbolizes the "one country, two systems" political principle applied to the region. The stylized rendering of the Bauhinia blakeana flower, a flower discovered in Hong Kong, is meant to serve as a harmonizing symbol for this dichotomy.[8] The five stars of the Chinese national flag are replicated on the petals of the flower.

• Your flags have been amazing Bev. I’ve always loved flags and learnt a lot of new ones with my grandson but haven’t known the meaning of them…it’s been so interesting reading your explanations thank you. 

Chris you’ve been a great host again. I do admire all of you who host these monthly themes, thank you. 

• Bev, I have enjoyed seeing all of your flags and the information you have shared, it has been an interesting tour around the world…… and the Americas still to come! Your last 3 squares of animals are gorgeous too, I love the expression on the panda’s face! Thank you so much Bev for your many contributions that will be treasured by the children :)) x

• What a fun month it was. You were a GREAT host, Chris!!

9826593500?profile=RESIZE_710x

• 9778698469?profile=RESIZE_710x

Late to the party but completed none the less!    My 49th blanket.    I've had this wool a llllong time.   In fact I've had it ready to hand since I saw Diane Burns use the same variegated wool and toning colours in a blanket well over a year ago.  It's pretty bright!!

• Wonderful, Karen. I love the colours.

• Wow Karen that’s absolutely fabulous! 

• Soooo BRIGHT and CHEERY, Karen.  :)) LOVE the variegated!!

• KAS girls certainly have a good eye for variegated yarn, Karen! Bold and beautiful.

• I love the vivid colours you used in your blanket. Beautiful!

This reply was deleted.