Knit a Square moved into what we loving call The Barn in 2015.  It is located in Randburg, not far from our post office.  This is a very large space that allows us to sort all the post, make blanket packs, stack blankets, and most important create our wonderful KAS cakes.  Our volunteers show up on Tuesday morning around 9:00am and work their magic until about 3:00pm.  Themba has already collected the post, and often times will make a distribution on Tuesdays.  

Please know that the Barn is a success due to all our contributors, financial donors and volunteers.  Without your ongoing support we would find it difficult to carry on.

Thank you all for everything.

Check in to this discussion frequently to see the latest news and photos from The Barn.  Many thanks to our marvelous reporter, Estelle for bringing the fun of The Barn to us.

Views: 6878

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is our weekly update from Estelle for July 12.

Opening Day at the KASbarn July 12 2022.
It was a chilly and quite day in the barn. We received 12 parcels and had a few from last week to open.
Once again we have been blessed with the most beautiful blankets and squares from our contributors.
These five beauties are from Sharon B.
Liz Gyldenhuis’s friend made all the squares surrounding this magnificent squirrel.
One of Liz’s this week.
 Vivieen Molefe made two fabulous blankets with these large squares - love them Viv.
Life goes on in South Africa - due to all the load shedding our fiber supplier has not been able to charge the back up batteries and relay stations - that’s a first- so l’m posting this report from my iPhone which is not ideal as besides my knees my eyes are also failing!
Viv and Liz trying to work out how many blankets they can get out of these strips.
You have fabulous squares there to bundle Lindi.
Wandi and Themba went on a lengthy adventure this morning- 2 distributions, collecting blankets and delivering squares.
Loaded up for our deliveries...
...exhausted, yet happy we made two distributions.
We were delighted to see  Michelle Babcock and her son with more of their magnificent squares- we love the way your Mum packs hers - all ready to be stitched together. Thank you Michelle and your family.
Samkelisiwe and Lucky brought us 54 blankets and took 6 bags of squares.
Was great to see Ana who brought us 30 blankets she had stitched together and of course she cleared the tables of squares which we love.
Isn’t this the dearest doll?
Lovely squares from the UK…thank you Tracy Netherwood.
We had 7 bags and then there was 1.
Thanks to everyone who make these Tuesday’s possible to open the barn and carry on warming so many vulnerable South African children.

More photos from Ronda on July 12 in The Barn.

Delighted to see the barn so full of items to be distributed after those months of empty!

Estelle has been a very busy little bee for KAS this week.  Two distributions and now a report from The Barn for July 26.  They are busy packing up all the Christmas blanket for a Christmas in July Distribution.  Last year at Christmas they were not able to distribute due to one of the COVID strains.  (There have been so many I forget which one it was.)

Opening Day at the KASbarn July 26 2022.
It was a quiet day at the barn with Ronda away, Liz not joining us and no new post to open.
I was surprised to see how much the cake had risen since last week.
Audrey, Lindi, Viv and Wandi holding down the fort.
Audrey brought in 5 beautiful blankets - the blue knitted one is absolutely stunning, Jill Lea you’ll be pleased to see your squares joined to make a fabulous blanket. I love the way Audrey stitched a row of squares then a strip.…most effective.
Squares from Jill Lea
We received 3 fabulous blankets from the Waterfall Hookers.
Thanks Marioth Brown for the fabulous Owl and the green/ brown one and Mel for the lovely turquoise blanket.
We spent the morning labelling blankets and packing the Christmas blankets and toys.
Christmas storage shelves are now empty.  They will fill up again soon.
Viv sewing in tails.  Wish she would come and do all of mine.
As Thiya Singh from Singapore missed us at the barn this morning she delivered 100 scarves that her school - UNITED WORLD COLLEGE South East Asia - knitted for KAS. She would have loved to visit the barn - next time Thiya. Please thank all your friends for the lovely colourful scarves.

Wow that was quick thanks Amy. 

News from Estelle on August 2, 2022
Opening day at the KASbarn August 2 2022.
When I saw the post this morning I thought it must be Australia Day. 🇦🇺🇦🇺Our Aussie KAS family who posted their parcels in May, June and July 2021 will be delighted to see that so many of their parcels have arrived.
Our visitors this morning were Sharon, Cindy and Sumere from FJM Accounting Services. Thank you for the 301 lovely squares bundled with pretty ribbons all ready to join into warm cosy blankets.
Two of your extremely well packed bags arrived Susanne Leverton...
Two of the 10 stunning blankets from Susanne Leverton.
Viv loved opening your parcel Susanne -
she kindly displayed them for me to take a pic. WOW!
...and Viv opened two of your parcels Windy Hinson. 
Susanne I opened your second parcel packed full of interesting goodies - 7 fabulous blankets with matching beanies, I’m sure your mum must have made one or two of those, baby clothes and this amazing 40 year old doll from your daughter who would like it to go to a special little girl. Please thank her.
Thanks St Stithians for the boxes of knitted and crocheted squares.
Those look like lovely warm squares Lindi.
Absolutely stunning blanket from Kathleen Bergman- Clear Lake Methodist Church.
I noticed that there were also parcels from Tasmania but unfortunately don’t have names and pics as the barn was chaotic.
Liz Gyldenhuis we wish you safe travels and a wonderful holiday with your family in Australia.
Liz sewing in threads on this bright beautiful blanket.

Hurrah! So glad to see some of my parcels have finally arrived! Should have been lots of hand warmers in each, which I know are running low presently too. I think these parcels were sent in May and August last year, so they definitely took the scenic route!

I'm so glad that squares and blankets are getting through!

So pleased for you, Wendy. I'm still looking out for several parcels of mine - let's hope we get a UK day shortly!

Wendy the hand warmers beautifully knitted and packed arrived just in time. Thank you. 
Can you imagine in this day and age a parcel to take 13 months to reach its destination. I’m sure the fault is with the SAPO not delivering the parcels promptly from the central depot. 

Tremendous news that parcels in the backlog have eventually found their destination!   Over a year is a llllong time for folk to have watched + waited to know their lovingly made makes have made it -  Hoorah!!   Such beauty too ♥️

WOW!! What beautiful blankets.  Wonderful inspiration. 

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The OCTOBER 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

DECEMBER

Color Of The Month RED

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service