Knit a Square moved into what we loving call The Barn in 2015.  It is located in Randburg, not far from our post office.  This is a very large space that allows us to sort all the post, make blanket packs, stack blankets, and most important create our wonderful KAS cakes.  Our volunteers show up on Tuesday morning around 9:00am and work their magic until about 3:00pm.  Themba has already collected the post, and often times will make a distribution on Tuesdays.  

Please know that the Barn is a success due to all our contributors, financial donors and volunteers.  Without your ongoing support we would find it difficult to carry on.

Thank you all for everything.

Check in to this discussion frequently to see the latest news and photos from The Barn.  Many thanks to our marvelous reporter, Estelle for bringing the fun of The Barn to us.

Views: 4564

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A very busy day to start off a new month in The Barn.  Notes from Estelle?

Opening Day at the KASbarn February 1 2022.
We arrived at the barn to find these great big broken glass shards that were dumped against our door. They obviously weren’t from our office block as the windows are smaller than the glass. In no time at all they were moved by our friendly security guard and we could enter our beloved barn. Really what a cheek!!!
A small post this week with the majority coming from Australia and Canada and even one parcel from Japan. There were no parcels from the UK today.
I’ve copied a reply from a new KAS member who saw our photographs on The Barn link of The Forum.
Thank you for your reply as this is exactly what we strive to do…allow you see that your post has arrived, 100% of your contribution goes to the children and hopefully see the finish product of your work wrapped around a child. Unfortunately it’s not possible to do this with every parcel that we open however there are many links on The Forum where one may spot ones work.
Ronda has donated yarn and knitting needles to Stephen of the Gwaai River project in Matabeleland Zimbabwe who very kindly sent us the following 5 photos. As these people desperately need help I’m sure we’ll be packing parcels for Stephen again.
Once again many, many thanks to all who make this possible. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
Our usual barn pics with captions to follow.
Audrey’s blanket with Marion Davies majestic Lion.
Ath with one of blankets this week.
Fabulous squares from Croatia equals a fabulous blanket from Ath.
Ronda joined your amazing squares Carol Rawlings to make this stunning blanket.
Norma with this beautiful blanket from Clear Lake Methodist Church.10 cuddly, soft teddies from Clear Lake Methodist Church.
A parcel from Lenka, Czech Republic with a note explaining that her grand mother knitted in her last months.
The Japanese parcel I opened…thanks for the English items.
Aths table at the beginning of the morning…just wait for the end of the morning. 
Fabulous toys and squares from Pam Clements… we loved the reversible doll.
335 fabulous squares all the same size from one of Ronda’s neighbours.
BEFORE photographing cake...
...AFTER. An exhausting job!
Anyone seen Ronda’s shoes ?
Everyone needs a break…have a KIT KAT!
What’s going through that mind of yours Wands…10 more blankets perhaps?
A typical barn pic.
Audrey you can be proud of your grandson…a medal 🥇 for you Sheldon.
Viv having just returned from her distribution this morning.
One of Viv’s pics from her and Themba’s distribution at the ITUMELENG EARLY LEARNING CENTRE in Mapetla Ext Soweto. Pity to blur this beautiful smiling face more pics will be on The Forum.

On a personal note...it was 2 years ago this Tuesday that I was able to visit The Barn and see all the amazing work first hand.  The entire crew made Richard, (my husband), Phill, (our guide and friend for years) and I so welcome and embrace us with warm hearts.

Happy memories!

If you ever get a chance to visit The Barn...jump on it and enjoy!!

Great photos and reports, as always.  Like the contributor mentioned in his/her note, it's so refreshing to have found this charity that allows us a peek inside to see that our gifts have arrived.

Amy, thanks for the memory :)  I remember your great stories and photos from your visit to the Barn ... xo

Oh NO...there was a flood, (literally) in The Barn and it was discovered by the Volunteers four days later.

Here is Estelle's report with photos of the flood of 2017 and 2022, both were in February.

Opening Day at the KASbarn February 8 2022.
Last week it was shards of glass, today it was pools of water on an uneven concrete barn floor, wet squares, blankets, Ronda’s files, a soaking green carpet and a most unpleasant smell of wet yarn. The flood must have happened on Friday as there was a deluge of water in the area.
I have included 4 photos our last flood February 7 2017 for our new members.  Here is the link to KAS Snippets for February 2017: http://www.forum.knit-a-square.com/forum/topics/kas-snippets-februa...
We all took boot loads of items home to wash and dry in our gardens.
We all got stuck in clearing up then sorted, counted and sized 1250 squares from Reddam College Bedfordview.
Athele and Audrey
Ronda
Liz
There was plenty of post to open with at least 12 Red and White parcels from the Methodist Ladies College, Melbourne which also had to be counted.
Quite an exhausting start to the morning…thank goodness for coffee and the most delicious carrot cake from Mandy. Happy Birthday Mands🎂
Our only two visitors were Heather and Joyce who brought 38 stunning blankets. As the green carpet was soaking we will have our show and tell and start our new blanket cake next week.
Heather
Joyce
Thanks to all the regular volunteers who attend on Tuesdays to keep KAS running successfully and of course thanks to our global and local contributors. 
Viv was thrilled to open a box of 50 beanies beautifully packed from Vicky Hilzinger.
Gomolemo had a few spare minutes and came to help us today. Hope we see much more of you Gemolemo.
Norma has got the hang of our system so quickly. Thanks for taking blankets home to wash Norma.
Viv back from her and Themba’s distribution at the Devland daycare center…you pics are fabulous Wands such gorgeous little souls. 
Thank you note from Wandi's distribution today.
Take Audrey home Sheldon she’s exhausted.  He is such a caring grandson.
Stunning blanket thanks Heather Mensah can’t wait to show it.
Stunning squares from Diane Burns.
Soft toys a gorgeous cardigan with kittens on the buttons and 2 jumpers.

Thank you for sharing our pics Amy. Thank goodness it wasn’t nearly as bad as the 2017 flood. 

Oh no, not again!  How dreadful for all you dear people.  Yes, thankfully not as bad as the last time, but that's small consolation, I'm sure, when faced with another cleanup. If only several of us could just pop in to help ... but sadly, all we can do is offer our sympathy and wish you well.  Thank you for sharing the photos ... xo

The first thing I thought was Oh No! NOT again! I remember the flood disaster from 2017. Thank you Estelle for informing us that it wasn't nearly as bad as in 2017. Things have improved and luckily there is more "equipment" to keep things above floor level. I hope that Ronda's administration stayed in tact!

It is a feast for the eyes to see SO many beautiful squares and blankets, toys and the beautiful cardigans. Dear ladies, you did a LOT of work! A big thank you to all and to Norma for taking blankets home to wash. 

Great to see all the photos of a very busy barn. Thrilled to see a parcel I posted on 7th January was received on 8th February :))

So sorry to see that you have had to endure another flood, just adds to the workload for the volunteers:((

No post this Tuesday, February 15, but Estelle fills us in on all the other activity in The Barn and an upcoming Distribution that was originally scheduled for December.

Opening Day at the KASbarn February 15 2022.
There was still a musty smell as I walked into the barn today but thankfully the green carpet and all the blankets were dry. As there was no new post we started a new blanket cake with the 39 blankets from Misfits, a few that arrived in last weeks post and the ones the volunteers brought in. All will be available to view on The Blanket Room.
Squares from Cath Riley
Misfits Blankets
Red and grey from Roni Rudman Owens and Clear Lake and Cath Riley’s joined by Marioth Brown.
More blankets from Misfits. Viv, Ronda and Norma.
Heather Regenass’s fabulous blanket.
Mandy, Ath and I were repacking and sorting the bags from our Christmas distribution of 300 blankets which was postponed in December due to Covid ( Omicron) and therefore I don’t have many pics this week. Hopefully we can do the Lion Park distribution on Saturday 26th February. 
We missed Liz today but the usual bunch of volunteers were eager as ever to get the jobs done.
Norma and Wandi
Mandy
Themba
Athele
Vivienne
Audrey
Estelle
Once again it was a blessing having Sheldon to carry and pack Mandy’s car with heavy bags for the 26th. Mandy did two trips home with a loaded car, transferred the bags to her garage until they’re packed into her double trailer…seems like a lot of extra work but 300 blankets, 300 toys, 300 beanies and 300pairs of hand warmers are an awful lot of things to transport.
Athelé’s blue IKEA bag with her stash waiting to be turned into some beautiful blankets.
Thank you Antoinette and your team for the 4 fabulous blankets, 2 toys and 146 loose squares you dropped at my house.

When there's no post, does that mean there's literally no post or just that it hasn't been collected from the Post Office?

Bernard was not able to collect the post this week due to a family issues.  I know, based on my automatic tracking, that I have two packages waiting to be delivered.

At the moment I don't think there are any PO issues.

Thanks for asking.

Thanks for posting and answering Patricia’s question Amy. You’re spot on no issues with the Post Office at the moment…long may it last. 

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The AUGUST 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

SEPTEMBER

Color Of The Month GREEN

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service