My name is Erik Felker.  I live in California. U.S.A.  I just turned 67.

I enjoy working with yarn, but I don't knit or crochet.  I weave my squares, making a simple loom from a sheet of foamcore and two rows of pins.  Believe it or not,this method makes very good blanket squares!

I have some experience in making blanket squares, and have learned to make them with pile for warmth, like the pile blankets of ancient Scandinavia.  I am going to try weaving squares with 100 per cent wool yarn for distribution to children who must live around open flames. 

I'm enjoying this project very much and look forward to shipping my first squares soon.

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hi I'm Onix... I love knitting and crochet.. I think it is wonderful to knit for the children who need it the most... great job!
    • Welcome! lovely to have you here.
    • Welcome onix. It sure beats seeing a strange look from a relative when I give them another scarf or hat or pair of slippers eh? We've got sooo much here and they've got so little.

Jeanne :)
    • welcome, Onix, nice to see you
      xx
  • I am anxious to see the squares and the loom. I'll bet it works up a square faster than knitting or crocheting which we are all for. You might get several converts plus some people have trouble knitting or crocheting might be able to do this including children.
  • Can't wait to see pictures - of both your loom and the squares!!!
  • All sounds great Erik. Please please post some pictures of your squares when you have made them. i think everyone wants to see them. So lovely when someone new brings in another technique to make cozy squares.
    Jeni
    • I think weaving squares on a potholder (square) loom is a great idea Debbie. If the pegs are abit far apart then using two strands of yarn will fill it in and bulk it up. Whatever works WORKS. And it's all for the children. :)
  • Erik,
    I have thought about weaving squares on my potholder loom...now I will seriously look into doing that. Thanks! And welcome to KAS.
  • Dear Erik,

Don't forget to enlighten us all by posting some pictures of your technique - the method might be useful as a means of engaging children into the process of producing squares. All the best, Pam Antink
This reply was deleted.