A Memory Blanket is a wonderful way to celebrate the life of a loved one who has passed on.

Knitting or crocheting squares gives us an opportunity to reminisce

as we stitch loving memories into a blanket for

a vulnerable and orphaned child.

We would appreciate seeing and reading about your special

Memory Blanket.

Views: 2789

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amy, the blanket is a wonderful way to honour your friend. The colours you have chosen beautifully demonstrate Dottie's joie de vivre.  Not only will the child be warmed by the blanket; she will be warmed by the loved you have crocheted into every stitch.

Remembering Mom

The blanket was crocheted in memory of my Mother who passed away in January of this year.  As an artist she loved to paint landscapes in both oils and watercolours.  In later years, she found the large canvas too difficult to work with so changed to making smaller paintings mainly of flowers.  Then as she reached her eighties, she found painting flowers on notecards quite relaxing and a creative outlet for her.

Slowly her vision failed her because of macular degeneration. At the age of 92, she set aside her paints and brushes, but continued to be active in other areas.

For the blanket I have picked Mom’s favourite colours of green and royal blue, as well as purple and lavender, a popular colour for pansies.

Pansies were one of Mom’s favourite flowers and each year she and I would go to the local greenhouses to pick out pansies for her window boxes as her Mother’s Day gift.  I’m going to miss the yearly ritual.  Pansies were one of the flowers Mom enjoyed painting for the notecards.

This Mother’s Day I have purchased Support for the Gogos in memory of my mother and mother-in-law.

I'm sorry for your loss, Linda. ((big hugs))

I imagine this will be a difficult time for you this year, but thankfully, you have many happy times and memories to reflect on. I know your Mum was a very active lady, from conversations we have had in the past.

You have created a truly beautiful blanket to honour her memory. xo

My sincere condolences for your loss, Linda. This is such a hard thing to go through, but the good memories stay with us forever afterwards and can help us get through times of stess.

I lost my mother 16 years ago. She was 93. I still talk to her every day.

Your blanket is a wonderful tribute to her.

You have created a beautiful blanket Linda to honour the memory of your Mother. A difficult time, but eased a little with wonderful memories. As an artist, I feel sure your Mother would appreciate your choices of colour and design and see the reflection of your love for her in this very special blanket.

Linda, I'm so sorry for your loss.  Your mother sounds like a wonderfully talented and vibrant woman.  Your memory blanket in her honour is so rich and colourful that she comes to life for everyone to see.  You have definitely inherited her talent.

Memory Blankets are such a wonderful way to celebrate the passing of a dearly loved one. Linda, you have done your Mum proud with the combining of the colours and the reasoning behind the choices - there is going to be a child in South Africa who will feel the love with which this blanket has been created!

Linda that is so beautiful for a memory blanket for your mother. I am sorry for your loss, she looks like a very pretty lady and very creative . You have that from her !

Linda, what can I say that hasn't already been said. This is a truly magnificent blanket in memory of your mother.
Linda this is truly a magnificent blanket. So sorry for your loss.
Thank you ladies. Even though Mom's creative talents didn't lie with yarn, she picked up soft toys and found yarn bargains for me. She also took on the task of untangling yarn donations and rolling it into balls, for which I am eternally grateful :-). She would 'approve' of supporting the Gogos as her Mother's Day gift this year.
Oh Linda, this memorial blanket is stunning!! Such a beautiful way to honor your mom!
I am so very sorry for your loss! I can only imagine how difficult this time is for you. I hope and pray, that creating this beautiful memorial, gave you peace in some way.

Sending my thoughts and hugs! Xoxo
Mary Anne

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2020

SHOP

NEW!
KAS Colouring Book

Featuring 3 original illustrations by South African artists

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The OCTOBER 2020 Squares List is available.

Visit the

2020 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2020 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2020

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Free Patterns for

Chain Stitch Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns from

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2020   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service