If you wish to add a pattern for a square you have made, please insert it at the end of this discussion by using the "Repy to This" feature and please include a photo with the pattern.

We ask that you do not just include links to patterns online that you have not actually tried.

Please note:  some of the patterns below are older and do not include instructions for leaving tails.

Ronda has requested that we now leave a 50cm/20" tail for sewing squares together. Please butterfly the tail to the square.  Instructions for this and an illustration can be found at

http://www.knit-a-square.com/support-files/knitted-square-plain_jan...

Views: 21364

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

GRIDDLE STITCH SQUARES

Several people have asked how to do the griddle stitch. It has other names (seed stitch, rice stitch  and "point de grain" in French). There are  also variations which give a slightly different effect. The number of sts and size of hook will obviously vary according to the type of yarn you use.

Pattern: Basic griddle: bottom photo

Medium weight yarn and 4mm hook. Odd n° of sts. (This will give a pattern of sc in sc and dc in dc.)

Chain 31 sts

Row 1: starting from 2nd st from hook sc in each st to end. Ch 1 and turn.

Row 2: *1sc, 1 dc**. Repeat to next to last st. Finish with 1 sc. Ch 1, turn.

Repeat row 2 until square measures 8 in (20cm).

Leave long tail for sewing squares together, and butterfly tail to square.

Weave in any ends

Variations:

1:  Working with even n° of sts (ex; 30 or 32) This will give a pattern of sc in dc and dc in sc.

Medium weight yarn, n° 4mm hook.

Chain 30 sts.

Row 1: starting from 2nd ch from hook, 1sc in each chain to end of row. Ch 1, turn.

Row 2: 1sc, 1dc to end of row. Ch 1, turn.

Weave in any ends

2: Top photo.

Working with count of 2sts + 1; medium weight yarn and 4mm hook.

Chain 31.

Row 1: Starting from 2nd chain from hook, sc in each ch to end of row. Ch 1 and turn.

Row 2: *1sc +1dc in 1st st, skip 1 st**. Repeat to next to last st., 1 sc, ch 1 and turn.

Weave in any ends

I saw this blanket on the KAS Facebook post today, and I am dying to know how to make this 2-color spiral using the Chain Stitch Square pattern. I've been making chain stitch squares a lot recently. Are 2 colors carried through the work? I just can't seem to figure it out. 

Michelle, the Chain Stitch Square pattern won't make a sprial like the one in the photo you posted.

Lisa Marie posted an interesting spiral you might want to check out and posted a link to the pattern Check it out at

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/neon-color-collision?context=l...

Thanks so much, Anne! Glad I didn't tear my hair out trying to make it work using that pattern.

Michele, if you like the chain stitch square, you might like to try this striped effect.  Just alternate colours each row for the one on the left, or switch colours and do two rows for the one on the right.

AUGUST 2013 CHALLENGE - Purple and rust

Thank you, Anne. I've made one in stripes and really loved it. The variation on the left is interesting too. 

In case someone else is interested too, here's a link to a spiral tutorial I came across, in French: http://pattycrochete.canalblog.com/archives/2013/03/01/26544745.html

Anne, you're always so sweet about answering my many questions! I really appreciate it.

Hello all the clever pattern makers!
Thank you for the crochet heart pattern - have been putting at least one on the squares that I 'blanketise', but would like to put some flowers as well.
Is there a simple pattern for one, please?
Am not the most accomplished crocheter....
Thanks
Molly

Just reposting this pattern as when I went to knit it today (2 July 2014), I realised there was a mistake in it.  Pattern rows 8 and 10 were wrong, no wonder other members of the forum that tried it had problems!  Anyway it is correct now.

Basket Stitch Square Pattern

Using 4mm Needles (UK size 8 ) and 8 ply yarn (UK DK yarn) Cast on 42 stitches.

Row 1: P2, K2, P4 then K2, P4 to end of row, finishing with a K2, P2

Row 2: K2, P2, K4 then P2, K4 to end of row, finishing with a P2, K2

Row 3: P2, K2, P4 then K2, P4 to end of row, finishing with a K2, P2

Row 4: K2, P2, K4 then P2, K4 to end of row, finishing with a P2, K2

Row 5: Knit

Row 6: Purl

Row 7: K1, P4, K2 (then P4, K2 to last 5 sts P4, K1)

Row 8: P1, K4, P2 (then K4, P2 to last 5 sts K4, P1)

Row 9: K1, P4, K2 (then P4, K2 to last 5 sts P4, K1)

Row 10: P1, K4, P2 (then K4, P2 to last 5 sts K4, P1)

Row 11: Knit

Row 12: Purl

Repeat rows 1 – 12 five times.

Then repeat rows 1 – 4 only, cast off.

I know 42 stitches seems like a lot, but this is a rib type pattern which pulls the square in a bit.

NOTE:  I cannot say how this square will turn out if using needles or yarn other than specified. Also be aware that your knitting tension can affect the finished size of the square. If you are a tight knitter I would suggest using a size larger needle and if a loose knittter a size smaller to get the finished square the right size.

You could try this pattern in thicker/thinner yarns, but you need to keep the number of stitches in a multiple of 6 for the pattern to work.

Vertical Zig Zag Square

Multiple of 6 plus 2 sts

Using 8 ply yarn and size 8 (4mm) needles, cast on 38 sts.

Row 1: K1, P36, K1

Row 2: K1, * K3, P3; repeat * to end, K1

Row 3: K1, P36, K1

Row 4: K1, P1, * K3, P3; repeat * to end, K3, P2, K1

Row 5: K1, P36, K1

Row 6: K1, P2, * K3, P3; repeat * to end, K3, P1, K1

Row 7: K1, P36, K1

Row 8: K1, * P3, K3; repeat *, to end K4

Row 9: K1, P36, K1

Row 10: K1, P2, * K3, P3; repeat * to end, K3, P1, K1

Row 11: K1, P36, K1

Row 12: K1, P1, * K3, P3; repeat * to end, K3, P2, K1

Finish on wrong side row (row 11), cast off in pattern (row 12).

This pattern was found here:

http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/pattern-squares/vol34-no22

I found that following the instructions as given, it made a perfect 8 inch (20 cm) square.

Waffle Rib Pattern

Multiple of 3 + 1.  (I found that using 8 ply yarn and 4 mm needles 43 stitches made a neat 20 cm/8 inch square).

This pattern looks great in a solid colour but also works beautifully done in stripes.  Just change colours after finishing each knit row (the 4th pattern row).

Row 1: P1, K2 repeat to end finishing with a P1

Row 2: K1, P2 repeat to end finishing with a K1

Row 3: P1, K2 repeat to end finishing with a P1

Row 4: Knit

Repeat these 4 rows until square is long enough.

Found this pattern here:  http://www.craftelf.com/knitting-stitch-patterns/waffle-knitting-st...

Sloping shell squares

These squares are worked diagonally so can be made with any yarn and to any size, just use a hook size to suit the yarn thickness

In UK terminology:

Ch                 =   chain

Sl st              =   slip stitch

Ch-2  sp         =   Chain 2 space

Tr                  =   treble

Shell            =   Slip stitch in next  ch-2 sp, 2 ch, 2 tr in same ch-2 sp

Foundation row:   Ch 3 (first 2 chs count as ch-2 sp) 2 tr in 3rd ch from hook.   Turn.

Next row:             2 ch,  2 tr in 1st tr (the one at the base of the 2 ch just made), shell in next ch-2 sp.  Turn.

Increase row:       2 ch, 2 tr in 1st tr.  Shell in each ch-2 sp to end of row.  Turn.

Continue working the increase row until the sides measure 8 inches. 

Decrease row:       Sl st in first 2 tr.  Shell across ending with sl st in last ch-2 sp.  Turn. 

Continue decreasing until one shell remains.  Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing.  Butterfly the long tail and weave in the starting tail. 

For these squares, colour changes are made as follows: 

Increasing row:    When working the last tr at the end of a row, leave the last two loops on the hook, drop the previous colour yarn, pick up the new yarn and draw through the 2 loops on hook to complete the stitch.  (I usually knot the two short ends to secure)  Continue working in the new colour. 

Decreasing row:    At the end of a row, fasten off.  Turn.  Join new colour yarn with a sl st to the first ch-2 sp and continue in pattern.

NB:  When working the increasing rows, the work will look a bit like a fan – give the edges a sharp tug to from time to time to straighten them.

For those of you who requested it, here is the pattern for the Spiral Square

Pattern uses American terminology.

Materials:

4 colours of the same weight

4.50/7 US hook

Stitch markers (optional but helpful)

Notes:

1. When stopping work on each colour, pull up a long loop or use stitch markers so you don't accidentally undo your stitches
  2. At the end of each sequence of four colours, turn your work counter clockwise to get back to the first colour. If you keep turning in the same direction, the yarns become quite tangled.

Instructions

With colour A; Ch 3, join to make a circle

To begin spiral:

• continuing with colour A; *Ch2, 2 dc in circle*;
  • drop colour A, attach colour B: repeat * to *;
  • drop colour B, attach colour C: repeat * to *;
  • drop colour C, attach colour D: repeat * to *

Move hook to colour A: 2 dc in top of ch 2 of colour B, 2 dc in each of next 2 dc, drop A and move hook to B; 2dc in top of ch 2 of colour C, 2 dc in each of next 2 dc, drop B; Repeat with colours C and D [6 sts in each colour section]

With colour A: *1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st*, repeat * to * until 9 stitches have been made. Drop colour. Repeat with B, C and D

With colour A: *1 dc in next 2 dc, 2 dc in next st*; repeat * to * until 12 stitches have been made. Drop colour. Repeat with B, C and D.

With colour A: *1 dc in next 3 dc, 2 dc in next*; repeat * to * until 15 stitches have been made. Drop colour. Repeat with B, C and D.

With colour A: 1 hdc in next 2 st, 1 sc in next 2 st, sl st in next st.  End.  Repeat with B, C and D.

Squaring the Spiral:

Insert hook in any 2dc V, (Ch 4, 3 tr) in this space; dc in next 2 st, hdc in next 2 sts, sc in next 6 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, dc in next 2 sts; *4tr in next st, dc in next 2 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, sc in next 6 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, dc in next 2 sts*.  Repeat * to * 2 more times. Join with sl st to top of ch 4. [4 corners made]

Check width, you may need to add a round of sc if the square is smaller than 8 in/20 cm. Remember to crochet 3 sc in each corner [between 2nd and 3td tr]. Butterfly 20 in/50 cm tail to square.  Weave in ends.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The AUGUST 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

SEPTEMBER

Color Of The Month GREEN

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service