If you wish to add a pattern for a square you have made, please insert it at the end of this discussion by using the "Repy to This" feature and please include a photo with the pattern.

We ask that you do not just include links to patterns online that you have not actually tried.

Please note:  some of the patterns below are older and do not include instructions for leaving tails.

Ronda has requested that we now leave a 50cm/20" tail for sewing squares together. Please butterfly the tail to the square.  Instructions for this and an illustration can be found at

http://www.knit-a-square.com/support-files/knitted-square-plain_jan...

Views: 21364

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My modified version of Wendy's pattern above.
Start with 2 rows knit.
Do rows 1, 2, 3, 4, 2, 3, 4, 1 of her pattern, repeat until almost 8".
End with 2 rows knit.
Note: I used 36 stitches with US 8 / 5.0mm circular needle.
August 2013 Knitted Basketweave

Slip Stitch Square

Multiples of 5 for number of stitches – (I cast on 40 with 4mm needles and 8 ply yarn)

Slip 1= slip one stitch from left needle to right, without knitting

Row 1: K2, slip 1,* K4, slip 1*, continue to last 3 stitches: Slip 1, K2

Row 2: Knit 2, *Purl the slipped stitch, K4*, Purl slipped stitch, K last 2 stitches

Repeat till square is long enough.

The Ladder Lattice is another slip stitch pattern that makes a tactile stripe.  Adapted from the New Stitch A Day website, you can see a video tutorial here: http://newstitchaday.com/how-to-knit-the-ladder-lattice-stitch/

For the basic pattern, you will need a multiple of 10 stitches + 8.

For my 8"/20 cm square, I used 4.5 mm needles and Australian 8 ply yarn.

I also added 1 border stitch on each side to make a selvage edge; this edge stitch was always a knit stitch.  You can easily increase the border with extra stitches on each side to make the square 8" wide if necessary.

Do not cut yarn when changing colors, but be sure to twist the colors around each other to carry neatly up the edge.

Cast on 40 stitches with color A

Row 1:  (Right Side)  With color A, knit

Row 2:  Color A, k1, purl across to last stitch, k1.

Row 3:  Color A, knit

Row 4:  Color A, k1, purl across to last stitch, k1.

Row 5:  Color B, k1, k8, *sl 2 with yarn in back, k8*,  repeat * to * to last stitch, k1

Row 6:  Color B, k1, k8, *sl 2 with yarn in front, k8*,  repeat * to * to last stitch, k1.

Row 7:  Color B, k1, p8, *sl 2 with yarn in back, p8*, repeat * to * to last stitch, k1

Row 8:  Color B, k1, k8, *sl 2 with yarn in front, k8*, repeat * to * to last stitch, k1

Repeat rows 1-8 until square is 8"/20 cm,  bind off, leaving a 20"/50cm tail, butterfly the tail to prevent tangling.

Happy Stitching!

Here are the graphs for numeral squares 0-10. [see attached file]  I made the puffed stitch in a different colour but they look just as nice crocheted in the same colour as the background.

Attachments:

Alternating Broken Rib Square

Here is my pattern for an 'Alternating' broken rib square.  It is basically just 3 pattern rows, but they need to be knitted in blocks of 6 to form the pattern.

You need to start with an odd number of stitches (i.e. 37, 39, 41 etc).  Using 4mm Needles and 8 ply yarn I cast on 41 stitches to get my finished square to be 8 inches.

Row 1: Knit 1, Purl 1

Row 2: Knit

Row 3: Knit 1, Purl 1

Row 4: Knit

Row 5: Knit 1, Purl 1

Row 6: Knit

Row 7: Purl 1, Knit 1

Row 8: Knit

Row 9: Purl 1, Knit 1

Row 10: Knit

Row 11: Purl 1, Knit 1

Row 12: Knit

Continue repeating these rows till the square is long enough.

Harris Tweed Square

Mulitple of 4 stitches plus 2 required for this pattern.  (Using 4.5 mm needles and 8 ply yarn I cast on 38 stitches).

Row 1: K2, P2

Row 2: P2, K2

Row 3: Knit

Row 4: Purl

Row 5: K2, P2

Row 6: P2, K2

Row 7: Purl

Row 8: Knit

Repeat above rows until square is long enough.

(found this pattern here:  http://knitting.about.com/od/stitchglossary/g/harris_tweed.htm)

PATTERN FOR "VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL" SQUARE

This pattern can be adjusted for yarn weight, needle size, and personal knitting tension by increasing or decreasing the number of stitches knit at each end and/or in the middle.  For example, instead of the K5, you could K6 or K9 or whatever.   Likewise, the number of slipped stitches could be changed. 

I began with 29 stitches

Row 1 (RS) Color A:   KNIT

Row 2 (WS) Color A:  KNIT first two stitches, PURL to last two stitches, KNIT last two stitches  (This makes a neater side edge)

Row 3 (RS) Color B:   K5,* Sl 1 wyib, K1, Sl 1 wyib,K1, Sl 1 wyib, K1,Sl 1 wyib, K5*, repeat from * to * to end.

Row 4 (WS) Color B: K5,* Sl 1 wyif, K1,Sl 1 wyif, K1, Sl 1 wyif, K1, Sl 1 wyif, K5,*, repeat from * to * to end.

Repeat rows 1 to 4 until square measures  8 inches.

Note:  I used US F/3.75mm hook.  Instructions are US.

Center color.  Ch4.  Slip stitch in 3rd ch from hook.

Ch3 (counts as first dc).  2dc, ch2.  First corner made.

*3dc, ch2* do ** 3 times.  

Sl st into top of ch3 of first dc.  Fasten off.

Note:  The next 16 rows are 2 rows of each color.  But you may or may not have to adjust the number of rows to get to 8"/20cm depending on your hook size and/or your stitch tension.

For each row:

1.  Sl st into a ch2 corner.  Sc, ch2, sc into same corner (first new corner).

2.  *(Skip next st.  Sc, ch2).  Repeat () until you get to next corner.  Sc, ch2, sc into same corner (new corner).* do ** 3 times.

3.  (Skip next st.  Sc ch2).  Repeat () until you get to next corner.  Sl st into first sc.

That's it... super simple.  Have fun with it!

I am not a skilled knitter at all so I am pleased at how this pattern for an appliqued flower in garter stitch came out - if I can follow it , anyone can! http://pilgrimpurse.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/garter-stitch-applique-f.... Seasons Greetings to everyone on the Forum!
Attachments:

Here is the pic for Lucy's flower

This looks gorgeous, Lucy....will have to put it on my to-do list.  :))

Houndstooth check square

A classic 'Houndstooth' check pattern square today. I have seen a lot of patterns for Houndstooth, but most of them looked a bit too complicated for me. Found this simple 'slip stitch' version and I think it looks pretty good!
Requires a multiple of 2 + 1 stitches. (I cast on 39 stitches in 8 ply yarn using 4 mm needles and did a total of 76 rows).
I don't count the cast on row, though the cast on row will be your Main colour or MC (in the case of my square the black is the MC). I call the second colour the Contrast colour or CC. Here is the pattern, as done after the cast on row.
CC K2, SL1
CC Knit
MC SL1, K2
MC Purl

Whitecaps (working title)

For this square, I used 4.5 mm needles and a heavier worsted yarn (10 wraps per inch).

With Blue, cast on 26 stitches (or whatever number you require for an 8" (20 cm) square.

Knit one row.

Row 1:  (Blue)  Knit into front and back of each stitch across, doubling the number of stitches.   (52 stitches)

Row 2:  (Blue)  Knit across

Row 3:  (White)  Knit 2 together across (26 stitches)

Row 4:  (White) Knit

Repeat  rows 1 to 4  until square measures 8 inches.  Cast off, leaving a 20-inch/50 cm tail for sewing.  Butterfly tail to the square.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The AUGUST 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

SEPTEMBER

Color Of The Month GREEN

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service