THESE PICTURES ARE ALL IDENTICAL !

HOW?

WHAT IS IT ABOUT ALL OF THESE PICTURES

THAT MAKES THEM IDENTICAL?

HAPPY MAY EVERYONE!

I, along with many others, have lived in a sea of white for the past few months.  The colors in the pages of our beloved Square Circle Forum monthly themes have been a real sanity-saver for me.  Even navy blue (as in scarves) has been a treat to work with! 

So far this year we've experienced the exhilarating beauty of a month in a color-filled garden, a chance to relive childhood excitement by thinking like a kid, the oomph and pizzazz of rainbows and kaliedoscopes, and the zest, variety, and surprises that variegated yarn brings.

We've created some extremely colourful and fancy designs for our children's blankets. But now each of these works of art needs a frame, a place to rest comfortably, a bed of colour to nestle into.

SO LET’S KEEP GOING WITH COLOR. 

LOTS OF COLOR. 

ANY COLOR.  

EVERY COLOR.

ONE COLOR AT A TIME.  

We're SQUARE professionals!  Together with our wonderful team in South Africa, we create beauty with colour :)  We have so many colors to choose from!

AUTUMN GLORY ~ PASSIONATE PURPLES ~ RUBY REDS

OUTRAGEOUS ORANGES ~ GLORIOUS GREENS

BEAUTIFUL BLUES ~ PRETTY PINKS

EVEN YELLOWY YELLOWS!!

JUST FOLLOW ONE SIMPLE RULE.

USE ...

ONE  COLOR  AT  A  TIME 

OUR MAY THEME IS:

Single-Color Squares - PJs and Textures

But before we begin, we need to know what a PJ really is.  I can tell you that I have thoroughly researched this little gem.  What I've discovered is that a PJ is an extra special single-color square.

It is

knit OR crochet

ONLY 

A knit PJ is all knit … no purl … no increases or decreases... just knit

… in just one color!  

A crochet PJ is single crochet ... back and forth … no round and round ... no double crochet … just single crochet back and forth 

… in just one color!  

single-color 8” square using just a knit stitch or just a single crochet stitch is the only ...

T.R.U.E. P.J.

Truly Remarkable, Undeniably Exalted Plain Jane

If you want to deviate from making our TRUE PJ and make a single-color diagonal, mitre, patterned or textured square, Tunisian or Cro-Knit square, or a loom knit square, please do!  They will be equally welcomed.  However, since it will not be a TRUE PJ, it must be a ...

P.E.R.T.  P.J.

Pleasantly Embellished, Radiant Twin Plain Jane

Why make PJs.?  Here are my top ten reasons.  I have posted these before, so this is a refresher :)

10. PJs can be completed more quickly.

9.   You don’t waste valuable knitting time in trying to match yarn weights and/or colors.

8.   PJs are never the wrong color.

7.  Your stitch count doesn’t need to be changed to accommodate slipped/cabled/doubled/backward stitches.

6.  You can make one while visiting with friends or cuddling a child (or while travelling, as I've recently discovered :)

5.  While creating a PJ, you can always make eye contact with your "sweetie" and even toss in a “Yes, Dear” without losing your place.

4, They often weigh less so you get more bang for your postage buck.

3.  Can be KASnazzed up for just about any theme.

2.  Can be sewn into any blanket in any spot.

1.  KAS needs more  PJs.

We all LOVE our S.A. Volunteers … right?  We all LOVE the fact that they create beautiful blankets from our squares … right?  Let’s do them a favor.  Let’s give them mountains of single-color squares ~ TRUE PJs or PERT PJs ~ to choose from when they are looking for just the right home for one of our beautiful “centerpieces”.  

So ... how are all those pictures identical?  

Each picture is made up of single-color items.

IMPORTANT REMINDER

2015 has been designated THE YEAR OF THE PLAIN JANE, so whatever the theme, EVERY month is also the

"Month of the Plain Jane"

I have started our photo album.  Here is the link:  

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/may-single-color-squares-pjs-textures

Due to a high level of participation in this month's theme, a second album is needed :))   THANK YOU!

Here is the link to Album #2:

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/may-single-color-squares-pjs-textures-album-2

A very big THANK YOU to Anne

for setting up our Pinterest page again!

https://www.pinterest.com/anne1464/knit-a-square-south-africa-may-2015-single-colour-/

ATTENTION ALL PJ-MAKERS!!!

I have some exciting news for you!

Sue has very generously offered to help us continue our efforts to assist Knit-a-Square South Africa in their rent appeal!!!! 

THANK YOU, SUE!

Here are our guidelines:

Sue has offered to pay $1 USD for every 10 PJs ... either T.R.U.E. or P.E.R.T. ...  made and photo posted ... up to 2 days rent.  She says she will round it up to $100 USD.  

THAT'S 1,000 SQUARES!!!! 

Can we do it?

If you are posting piles or bunches (you know, the kind we LOVE to see), please state the number of PJs in that pile/bunch for ease of counting.  Sue will be keeping track for us, so let's not make her guess :))

Donated squares can be posted here.  We would love to see them, but they will not count in the total for Sue's offer.

Also, as she will be compiling her numbers from the squares in our photo album, be sure to add pics of your squares to the photo section so that I can add them to our album.

Let's all help Knit-a-Square South Africa reap the benefits of Sue's generosity!!!!!

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Five more beautiful squares from Cath Riley.  What a lovely bright red, and such a delicate shade of pink!  Beautifully done!  Thank you ... xo

If these don't make a pink-lover of you, nothing will ... eh, Bev??

2965271271?profile=RESIZE_480x480

New Total is 1713

• And three more from Sue Wakefield.  What gorgeous colors :)) Thank you! xo

2965271600?profile=original

New Total is 1708

• 2 more from Sue Wakefield.  Beautiful yellows.  Thank you!

2965271318?profile=original

New Total is 1705

• 2886769257?profile=originalFive in shades of the Caribbean Sea. These are my favourite colours and I loved making these ones.

• 2886770003?profile=originalFive purple and burgundy squares.

• Thank you, everyone, for your support of our Single-Color theme. You have all done an amazing job and I am absolutely thrilled with what we accomplished … together!  The TRUEs and PERTs we created will go a long way in keeping some precious children warm, as well as bringing glorious colours into their lives.

To all of our regular PJ-makers, those who consistently produce these single-color gems with no problem at all, a HUGE thank you!!  This month has shown us just how important your contributions are!!  We have also seen how photos of your work brighten the pages of our Forum and bring smiles to the faces of our members.  So please … PLEASE … don’t stop showing us your work ;))

To all of you who find it difficult to make PJs only, a HUGE thank you to each of you for entering into the spirit of our theme and creating some extremely beautiful 8-inch TRUEs and PERTs.  Just in case you didn’t notice (and it was brought to my attention), you only had one tail to tuck in on each square :))

If I may borrow Christine’s words, “Not only a celebration for those of us who are PJ makers, but the single colour enabled us to appreciate the beautiful stitching of those who are able to knit and crochet beautiful patterns! A great month!”

Thank you, Christine … how very true!

To our fantabulous sponsors … Sue and AKA … a HUGE thank you from all of us.  Your generosity has paid the rent for 3+ days!!!!  

Together, we created nearly 1,700 PJs and that figure is sure to climb over the next couple of days.  That’s 48+ blankets!!!!  And don’t forget, the many, many donated squares that didn’t get added to our total.  Those squares represent another pile of blankets, but also show how you marvellous people are spreading the word and receiving donations from others.  A HUGE thank you to all of you and to all those who created the donated squares.

This month has shown us just how important our modest PJ is … it truly is the backbone of Knit-a-Square.  Every blanket needs some, so along with your beautiful fancies, maybe toss in an occasional PJ … just for practice :))  

And remember 2015 is the Year of the PJ!!

I don't want to forget to say a HUGE thank you to those of you who created hats, scarves, handwarmers, go-overs, vests, cuddles, toys ... the list goes on!!  Everything you send to Knit-a-Square helps to bring comfort and warmth to a child.

Finally, for being my special friends, for the love and support you show every day, for being the kind-hearted, caring, and generous people that you are …

2965271309?profile=original

And now …

I think I see many of you furiously digging through your stash,

grabbing as many colors as you can,

flinging them onto the floor behind you as you frantically search for the right color combo :)))2965271313?profile=RESIZE_320x320

Now you’re running with armloads of yarn toward your favorite knitting/crocheting place :))

So go ahead ...

feel free to begin creating some stripes and zigzags for June!

2965271382?profile=RESIZE_180x180

xo

• Some last-minute squares from me.  I will call these my B&G squares (Bev & Glo) ... LOL

2965271527?profile=RESIZE_480x480

And these show how a humble, ho-hum, sometimes drab color suddenly turns beautiful when paired with a friend :)

2965272195?profile=RESIZE_480x480

Our New Total is 1693

• May 2015 - Single Colour Squares, Textures and PJs

A set of seven 'pert' pastel pjs from my sister, Ros.
    Sooo many pretty colours and patterns. :))

May 2015 - Single Colour Squares, Textures and PJs

A set of seven 'pert' bright pjs from  Ros.
    Beautifully bold and prettily patterned, Ros. xo

Oops, there may be a couple of 'true' crocheted pjs in these two batches....what would I know, I can't crochet??!!

• Just squeezing in at the end of the month.... 5 P.E.R.T. plain Janes in tuck waffle stitch. x

2930300210?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• 2 more plain janes for the May challenge, these are a shade called Jungle green.

2930299930?profile=originalLast 2 plain janes for the May challenge, these are a shade of mauve.

2930300124?profile=original

This reply was deleted.