DIFFERENT KNITTING STYLES

COLOUR COMBINATION IDEAS

Find these in the

KAS PATTERN BOOK

Find this on page 1 in

MEMBERS' PATTERNS

KNIT A HAT  or a pair of HANDWARMERS

CROCHET A HAT or a pair of HANDWARMERS

Please don't forget to add your photos to our 'photo' section - tab at the top.  From there, I will be able to add it to our MARCH 2021 PHOTO ALBUM.  Thanks :)

Views: 8047

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! These are SUPERB, Diane!! You sure know the way to a gal's heart...well this gal, anyway.  :))

All that glorious pink....and I love how you have used many different patterns.  :))

Sandra Joy Jones brought this knitted stitch to my attention when she made an all-in-one blanket using it earlier this year.    I've not done it before so, again this month, I've given it a go thanks to our encouraging theme.    It's a lovely looking stitch on both sides, (which I've tried to photograph), and the finished texture has a pretty squidgy and comforting feeling.    I've used a 200g ball of Aran - which very satisfyingly I just had enough of to make 9 squares.

Karen, I don't know where you find the time to zip through so many balls of yarn!  Please, if you have some extra (time, that is) could you send me some?  hahaha 

This is a very pretty pattern, and these gorgeous squares look very soft.  Your creations - and your talent - never cease to amaze me!  Well done ... xo

Cheers darlin'!   I rarely knit one 'set' from start to finish,  as I prefer to have different projects to dart between, hence sometimes I must appear to have knit 9 squares since a previous post the day before or so.    Alas I have no magical superpowers, just a very keen interest in knitting and seeing results.

Off to do some PINK now,  honestly!

I love when patterns work up differently each side - these are gorgeous either way, Karen.

Oh, Karen, these look terrific.   They will be so warm and welcoming in any blanket.   Good work!

Yay kiddo!! Another great set!! Sooooo neat!!

You're right, they do look good, either side. I have knit them once or twice before, but have obviously never looked at the 'wrong' side....haha. LOVE the colour, too.  :))

I like Cro-Knitting, but feel it gets a bad rap because there's so little variation - at least so little that I've come across. If anyone out there can correct me, please do! I'd love to see more stitch patterns for the double-ended Tunisian crochet technique.

Anyway, I decided to try to spruce it up a bit. So while these don't look the same as the Tunisian Crochet Honeycomb pattern, they are made using the very same stitch combo but Cro-Knit.

Absolutely gorgeous, Gloria, even though I don't understand what you're talking about!

Sorry, Patricia.  Let me explain ...

Tunisian crochet is worked using a long hook - similar to a regular crochet hook except it's longer and has a stopper at one end.  The reason for the length is because unlike regular crochet, all your stitches are gathered on one pass and worked off on the next - sort of  like knitting.  Tunisian crochet is worked on one side only - you never turn your work.

Cro-hooking (or cro-knitting, or double-ended crochet, or crocheknitting ... I haven't found a standard term yet!) is worked on a long hook similar to a Tunisian crochet hook, except that there is a hook at both ends - no stopper.  So you work one row forward, turn your work and work one row back.  Cro-hooking is worked on both sides - like knitting.  I've found that often it's difficult to choose a right side and a wrong side because both are equally attractive!

There are lots of patterns for Tunisian crochet, but nobody seems to have picked up on Cro-hooking enough to create different patterns.  So I decided to just go out on a limb and make my own :))  There will probably be more to come.

I hope this helps ... xo

When and how did you first learn about these different techniques? I hadn't heard of Tunisian crochet before knowing you, and now find there's another variation with a double ended hook. Is it something that's more widespread in North America or is it just a gap in my crafting knowledge?

Patricia, I can't say whether Tunisian Crochet is North American or not.  I got my first Tunisian Crochet hook from my mother about 40 years ago and she taught me how to use it.  She taught me the Afghan Stitch.  Have you heard of that?  It's now known as the Tunisian Simple Stitch. 

There are many more stitches, and often when I think I've learned them all, I discover another one!  I honestly believe that aside from the Afghan stitch, Tunisian Crochet is relatively new and evolving.  But I could be very wrong in that.

I'm not the only KASer who uses TC.  If you go back through the photos you will find pics of TC work from a few others - Linda R, for one, who did gorgeous TC work.  And the there's our Sharon B, who makes the most gorgeous pictures with TC.  

Obviously, it's not for everyone - just like some people prefer knitting to crocheting and vice versa.  I like both and I also LOVE Tunisian crochet :))) ... xo

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The AUGUST 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

SEPTEMBER

Color Of The Month GREEN

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service