I am so excited that I do not even know where to begin – at the very beginning, I guess?!

Wendy (what WOULD we do without her ?) has been mulling over an idea to approach commercial property owners and find out whether KAS might be able to move into office space which has been standing empty … at no cost.  Given the large number of new commercial buildings springing up everywhere, empty spaces are increasingly evident and we could simply agree that, should the owner find new, paying tenants, we would move out and look for the next empty space!  In turn, we would offer owners our assurance to “look after” their premises and bring them a warm, lived-in (KAS) feeling!  Wendy had a list of people we could approach with this idea and it did not take her long to find a very generous donor.

And all our hopes have been realised  … KAS now has more space than I could ever have imagined and I am  pinching myself, very often, just to make sure it is not a dream.  First we received the KASvan and now our very own KAS “knit-ural” environment (a contributor used this description and I love it!).  God is SO good and we thank Him for answering our prayers and providing for our needs in this way, through the generosity of others.

Our new home is housed in a beautiful, secured office park not far from my house and very close to the Bryanston Post Office, which is, as you know, where all our KAS mail is received.  Not only do we have an entire wing of the building but it has been newly renovated and boasts new carpets, new wallpaper and lovely blinds!  (I am just pinching myself again!!!).   In yet another moment of inspiration, Wendy approached a company by the name of Supercare, housed in the same office park, to allow us to use furniture which was being stored by them in the basement.  I wish you could all come and visit us now … we have enough space (!) with a MASSIVE sorting area, furnished with chairs and tables which are set out in the central , open-plan area … onto which open ELEVEN smaller offices, which means that every KAS item has its own space!!  So, we now have a beanie office, a top’s office, the socks and jock’s spot, a baby item room, a stationery office, a blanket office and so on!!

The big move took place on Thursday, 11 July – so you will forgive me for not posting my report that day.  We loaded several cars full to the brim and I subsequently made several trips with the KASvan to transfer everything across.  The volunteers were amazing … they helped to move the bulk of everything over from the house on Thursday and still managed to open 90% of the mail too.  Wendy and I returned to the new premises on Friday to move and sort out a few more items and pretty soon we will have each room perfectly organised, which sends Wendy into fits of excitement as she LOVES order and having everything just right – traits which I treasure in her, as I tend to be forgetful and somewhat disorganised!   I must admit to having suffered a tinge of separation anxiety as everything KAS was being carried out of my home, but I know this is real progress and the best possible scenario for me and for my family … I have already invited my daughter to visit with the children from Cape Town!!!  During Thursday I texted Peter a photograph of one emptied bedroom and he did not recognise it … it’s been a while since he has seen it KAS-free!!!

The move has taken up a large part of our week, but we still managed to start packing up for a large distribution in Port Alfred - collection arranged once more by Fawn and Davina in Port Elizabeth. We also packed up tops, blankets and beanies to send to Youth Pastor Abey of Cummins Diesel, via Lorraine, for a distribution in Vosloorus - a massive informal settlement south of Johannesburg.

We had hardly begun to settle in when our first, most welcome, visitors arrived at the new premises on Thursday!  A lovely group of ladies they were, who travelled from the Vanderbijlpark branch of a company called IEMAS to drop off 2000 truly beautiful squares as their contribution in honour of Mandela Day.  Have a look at the magnificent contribution from them – we were thrilled!

Speaking of Mandela Day, KAS will be involved in three different projects on Mandela Day, Thursday, 18 July.  We know that you have all been furiously making Mandela Day Challenge squares this month and we hope that you, too, have something planned for Madiba’s birthday.  This is a wonderful way to show a great man the respect and love he deserves.  We have registered the KAS initiative on the official Mandela Day site and will let you know as soon as it appears.

We have so much to prepare for this week and still plenty of sorting to do in our new home.  So, I am going to leave you, as always, with some photos, but this time indulge me in my show and tell session as I introduce our fantastic, new KAShome … and while you browse, remember that without YOU none of this would be possible, so we thank you again and again, with love ! 

Look at all this space!  I know just how to fill it......

Let the move begin!

So much space to work in - you should see our blanket designing skills now!

WOW - there was a bed in this room at home? (This room is now empty and ready for guests!)

We moved and managed to open 90% of last week's mail - what stars our volunteers are.

The blanket bundling room......

Even the mail has its own office now, in fact each KAS item does - a dream come true!

So, as you can see, we still have a great deal of sorting to do, but watch this space, we will post photos of the new, incredibly organised KAS premises.

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Praise God, indeed! Just wonderful!

• Dear Ronda and all of the team - I missed this original post of this  and having just read it could not be more pleased and excited for you.  From your original love and desire to help the children with a request for a few squares just look what has happened.  I have no doubt that the love and energy generated by this forum around the world produces something very special.  Just so pleased that you can have your home back Ronda, and thank you for housing KAS for so long.  Wendy has been a KAS treasure, as is everyone volunteering and it is so heartwarming to see what you have all achieved.  Our knitting team here in Shropshire, UK just love to hear the SA news and are always encouraged by knowing that their efforts really make a difference.  I can't wait to send them out a newsletter (many do not use a computer so rely on paper news) -  I can feel your excitement at the new premises - such a wonderful event and with the van too - FANTASTIC!!!

• God is so good! I am so happy for you, there are no words to describe how thankfulI am that this has worked out so beautifully for you all! KAS has certaInly earned this! I love that God seems to know our needs even better than we sometimes! And you even have room for growth! God Bless you all and sending much love and hugs!
    XOXO
    Mary Anne
  • Hi,

I just signed up today so I thought I'd say hi.  I'm not sure how this really works so I'm just gonna jump in.  I think this is such a great thing everyone is doing here and it's so awesome that you have found a new and bigger place.  I have a bunch of squares ready to go and I'm just waiting to finish a few more before I send them off.  

Thanks for creating this and letting us help!

• Welcome !  We look forward to receiving the squares - thanks in advance !  We are loving the new premises ... it's lovely to have your support, along with all our other wonderful contributors !  xoxoxox

• Great to have you join us, July.  :)) If possible we would love to see your work...just click on 'photos' at the top of page and follow prompts....no pressure...lol

• Dear Ronda, Fantastic news for you and KAS, thank you for the beautiful pics and detailed description .... so very happy for you and all your team :) Truly is a dream come true ! Love to you all :)

• What a wonderful, most descriptive report, Ronda......I just wanted to be there and run around with you all...it sounds and LOOKS absolutely MARVELLOUS!!!!

I have been knitting, in between spending time with hubby (we both have two weeks hols...or what's left of them) and my needles just can't work fast enough....so much glorious space to fill....WOW!!!

Congratulations to yourself and Wendy for making this happen and for all your  wonderful, wonderful volunteers. You have inspired a global community....how special is that????....and how special are you and Sandy???!!  In creating KAS you have provided us with the opportunity to be a part of a warm, friendly,  community with shared interests (crafting - and more importantly helping the children) and to have a real sense of belonging and self-worth. I, for one, am most grateful. xx

• I'm so happy for you, Ronda! This is great news for KAS, and for your family!
    Enjoy your news spaces, both in the offices and your home.

xoxoxo !!!

• "What goes around, comes around."  How true is that saying.  KAS sends out its love from thousands of hearts and hands worldwide, and just look at what it reaps in rewards!  A new van, then a new home!  We've gone from a few squares to millions of squares, plus sweaters, hats, toys, etc.!!!  Now we're hoping to have people support themselves with their own hands!  Not only giving, but teaching to give.  Again I say how wonderful I think this organization is.  From the minds and grit of a few, to thousands......it's simply miraculous.  I always feel so much love here, and always feel like everyone here is "family!"   Every word from one of you, every photo I see, touches me even more and makes me even more ready to go quicker with my needles!  You all encourage me so much with your efforts and beautiful items!  I, too, am so thankful to be a part of such a group of loving, giving, ingenious people!  What a wonderful thing you have begun, dear Ronda!  Love to you all, and may we continue.............

This reply was deleted.