In the book, How the Grinch Stole Christmas  by Dr. Seuss, the Grinch stole Christmas from the people of Who-ville. 

In South Africa, disease and poverty stole childhood from millions of children.

Can we displace the Grinch in a child’s life?

Just for a moment?

Christmas gift making is starting early ! 

Ronda requested more time to prepare the blankets before the holiday season arrives.

Besides themed squares, we also need many, many Plain Janes to complete a blanket.  Please do not be deterred by the fancy square.  We would love to see how you are using Christmas colours to warm a cold child.  A square made with red, green and/or white would be quite striking.  Variegated Christmas yarns also make interesting squares

A few reminders: 

• Please securely butterfly  a 20”/50 cm tail to each square and bundle squares into lots of 5 or 10, to help the sewers in South Africa.
  • Your parcel does not need to arrive in South Africa before the end of the month.   When your parcel arrives in the next few months, know it will be appreciated and that you are keeping children warm.
  • Would you upload your photos to the photo page as well as to this challenge. (Not sure how to add a photo? Click here then scroll to “How do I add a Photo to a discussion” )
  • After uploading your photos, please go to The Drive To Fill Ronda’s KASvan and add to the squares tally.

Marvellous Mary has set up Flickr.  Great place to see all the photos together and spread the word !

Gracious Gitta has set up the Christmas Album. There are so many wonderful squares that Gitta has opened a Second Christmas Album

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• June - Christmas Challenge

Well Linda, I took you at your word when you once told me it was never too late to add some squares to the previous challenge....LOL
    Believe it or not I knitted these both in June, but wanted to do a Christmas tree as a friend had given me some pretty orange yarn with bobbles (looked like Xmas baubles) woven in. Well when I finally sewed the tree on today, I found the bobbly yarn didn't want to go through the stitches and so had to use alternative yarn. :( Never mind...it is finished now!

• 2965053219?profile=originalI really was planning to start the July challenge.....

• 2965052242?profile=original

Helen Flagg has sent me the above photo. You will all be familiar with some of the beautiful squares Evelyne Martin has made for KAS.

Here's a wonderful example of Christmas Spirit and the generosity of some of our square-makers and the church groups who support KAS through them.

Helen writes:

"Evelyne Martin just finished this beautiful crocheted blanket so that our KAS group could donate it to the Silent Auction our United Methodist Women at Clear Lake Methodist Church, Houston, Texas, will be having at their bazaar in November.

In the past, they have given us $500.00 a year from their bazaar proceeds. Evelyne volunteered to make the blanket as a thank you for the last four years of support"

A big thank you to Evelyne and the United Methodist women for all you support

• Here is a lovely square from Deborah Lawson:

Christmas Square

• 2930216469?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024And here's my final contribution, made yesterday evening but had no time to upload. What looks like a greyish colour here is really much more greeny. And the red, sparkly border adds that Christmas 'zap'.

• 2930216342?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024This is another hat in Christmas colours that I finished yesterday.

• And more from Jenine!

June 2013 Challenge

• Here's some lovely squares from Jenine Nash:

June 2013 Challenge

• 2868256825?profile=original

This is the 'official' last day of the challenge.  However, if you are finishing Christmas related squares or garments please add them when completed.  

Thank you again to everyone for such a successful challenge.  The children will be warm and cozy because of these wonderful Christmas gifts.  And our monetary gift will help Ronda continue serving the needy children of South Africa.

2868256825?profile=original

PS Please remember to add to the Drive to Fill Ronda's KASvan.  Thanks :-)

• Here are my last 3 Christmas squares.  These one's are made from a few left over bits.  As usual the green looks a lot paler than it is in reality.  I like the top 2 squares best, but I think they will all be good in a blanket. :-)

2965054720?profile=original

This reply was deleted.