After the two very successful challenges in April and May, we would like to commemorate the "World Environmental Day" (http://www.greeningtheblue.org/event/world-environment-day-5-june-2012) and to celebrate our Planet and Mother Earth in June.

We have attached a video by David Attenborough to set the mood for the challenge and to give you some ideas :) 

We envision beautiful squares in the colours of the Oceans, Forests, sunsets or showing endangered animals and plants. And if possible and only if it is available to use natural yarns or to recycle old jerseys or your so-called UFO (unfinished objects) ;)

"Give a human face to environmental issues; Empower people to become active agents of sustainable and equitable development; Promote an understanding that communities are pivotal to changing attitudes towards environmental issues; Advocate partnership which will ensure all nations and peoples enjoy a safer and more prosperous future."

Linda Maltby has kindly allowed us to use her "KAS globe" picture to be included here. It represents exactly what this challenge and KAS is all about :)

Once again, we are asking that you post photos of your squares, both in the Photo section and here in this discussion, to inspire us all.

Mary Lokken has volunteered to set up a Flickr page for us where all the photos can be assembled.

KASGlobe.jpg

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Finally here's the bison, made from bison wool, sheep's wool and a scrap from thrift store wool coat. My daughter, Amelia, helped needle-felt the bison. I really enjoyed this challenge!2965007816?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Thanks, Pam!2886695916?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024 My bison will wait for now ... but in the meantime, here's a plain jane knitted from Japanese Noro sheep's wool. The colours remind me of beautiful Butchart Gardens in British Columbia, where a former quarry was transformed into a garden paradise. The Japanese wool makes it a transition square into the next challenge too.

• This endangered Leatherback hatchling is racing to the sea! (The babies don't have the pink spots on their heads yet, but this one does, and it's shaped like a heart because it's a KAS turtle.) The turtle and water are made from felted thrift store sweaters, and everything is made from natural fibres (sheep's wool, alpaca, cotton thread) except for the sea foam which is made from a scrap of that ruffly-scarf-yarn. I'm racing, too, against the deadline for this challenge. I have two other squares that are almost finished. The clock is ticking ...

2965008107?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• My final square for June.  Thank you Gitta for a thought provoking challenge.  Well done everyone !

2930156734?profile=original

• As we slowly but surely come to the end of this challenge "a BIG THANK YOU" to all who participated :) and here are two squares I made with left over yarn:

2930158777?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

2930158850?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• If there were no bears on earth, there were no Teddy Bears....Luckily there are....What a wonderful world!

2886696705?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• My mom and I made this square - I did the square, and she did the fish. The fish are knitted with recycled sari silk, mohair and sheep wool. 2886695124?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• 2965008241?profile=RESIZE_480x480Tree with Owl - not sure about using buttons on squares (dont want them to get sat on/ broken etc), but it was too cute to leave off!

• Happy Fish swimming through the regrowth of the kelp forest which was destroyed by sea urchins and has now recovered.2930159262?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I am so thrilled! I just received a donation of 45 squares and 6 pairs of socks. I think all of Maggie's squares fit the June challenge, but I'll share these three:

2930177057?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

2965008985?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

2868271096?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

This reply was deleted.