DURING THIS MONTH'S THEME WE WILL HAVE AN ENDLESS CHOICE OF COMBINATIONS OF

C O L O R S

Mother Nature gave us COLOURS!  Being a colour addict, I am pleased to host this month’s’ theme and share  this exciting challenge with you. The aim is to make squares, hats and handwarmers as colourful and “attractive” as possible for the children.This does not mean that the pure hues only can be used, but also pastels,tones, shades, as long as they are complementary.

As long as they are complementary……maybe you are thinking what are complementary colours? What are hues, pastels, tones, shades?

Complementary colours: In the spectrum  each colour has its opposite colour. In the Basic Colour Wheel there are six of them, as shown in the photo above.  Clockwise: Yellow <-> Purple, Orange<->Blue, and Red <->Green.

The basic six OPPOSITES made into squares:

Red <--> Green                     Blue<--> Orange                 Yellow <--> Purple 

They attract each other and it will be great fun to make squares in opposite colours as shown above

The 12 colours of the Yurmby wheel

We,  as YARN ARTISTS can make use of this colour wheel. It has TWELVE basic colours and now it is going to be lots of fun because we have more OPPOSITE colours to choose!

Example of opposite colours, translated into yarn: Opposites clockwise:

Yellow and Blue (Ultramarin). Orange and Blue (Cobalt). Red and Cyan. Pink and Emerald Green. Magenta (Fuchsia) and Bright Green. Violet/Purple and Lime/Light Green.

Are you in the mood already?

Then I don’t have to hesitate to tell you that we can use:

THREE colours which still are OPPOSITE:

A SPLIT OPPOSITE ARRANGEMENT!

Here we use  three colours where colours 2 and 3 are adjacent to the complement of the main colour. For example, picture 1: Green chosen as the main colour,  its opposite is Magenta (Fuchsia).  Next to Magenta are Purple and Pink. So the combination will be Green, Purple and Pink in any order, any pattern.  

DIZZY?  TAKE A CUPPA AND LOOK:

In the below examples I have chosen to have the main colour in the centre.

Green, Pink & Purple       Purple, Green &Yellow       Magenta, Green & Emerald

Blue, Green & Orange        Yellow, Pink & Cobalt         Cyan, Pink & Orange

THIS IS NOT ALL, THERE IS MORE TO CHOOSE IN THIS MONTH'S THEME:

Light - dark : e.g. Black and White combined with any other colour, Grey or Brown and Magenta (Fuchsia), Violet and Light Green, Dark Blue and Yellow and so on, the combinations are endless.

So, for the Light-Dark and Shades:

Put your yarn basket upside down and there they are....The long forgotten “drab” colours. Now we can grab our dull colored yarn and we can make the most beautiful combinations! From now on: please don’t abandon them anymore! Combine your dull colours with the bright ones:

Finally: We ALWAYS need the BACKBONE  of KAS:

- PJs IN ALL  O U R S -

Let’s make the difference for the children by crafting in colours and give them warmth and a smile!

LET'S GET STARTED !

The photo album can be found here: http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/july-2016-theme-opposites-attract-1

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 2886787312?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Here's my completed blanket for the July theme. Sorry it's late - I finished the squares before travelling to Canada on the 27th but only got back yesterday to sew them all together and edge them. Due to jet-lag, a lot of the sewing was done in the wee small hours of this morning! 

• Ooh Heather, What a lovely surprise! A stunning blanket! Big compliments to you for being such a passionate KAS yarn artist, coming back from Canada AND finish it right after that! It is BEAUTIFUL, I keep looking at it, there is so much to see! The little one  who will receive this blanket will be over the moon! xoxoxo

• Thanks for going shopping on our behalf Anneka.  You did a wonderful job hosting July and everyone really pulled the stops out for all those lovely, smiling children.:)

• Thank you Claire, In the meantime I have shopped on behalf of all of you. :)  

• Thank you so much for hosting such a beautiful, colourful and cheerful theme for July, Anneke! I really enjoyed learning about colour, experimenting with new combinations and putting darker colours to good use. I still have a few more squares on the needles at the moment but couldn't quiet get them finished in time.

Anneke and Diana, you are both so kind with your donations; thank you for your generosity!

• Thank you so much Helen, so good to hear that you are inspired by the theme. Squares with  darker colours combined with the brighter ones will now find their way to the children too. When you have finished your squares, please make photo's and I will add them to the July Photo Album. xo

• Last two squares, as promised! The first is a blue and green, which I thought went well together. The second is another example of an upended yarn basket. It is also my 100th KAS square :)!

2930333012?profile=RESIZE_1024x10242930332809?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Congratulations  Helen! Thank you for the beautifully knitted squares, the colours are stunning. The striped one will be striking in a blanket. Th blue-green one should be perfect for a boy! I have added the photos to the photo album. xo

• Thank you both for your comments. The "100" card is lovely, Diana, and thanks for adding my pictures to the album, Anneke.

• My pleasure Helen :)

This reply was deleted.