What a fantastic opportunity this is for our UK knitters.  The well known clothing chain, Jigsaw in the UK has partnered with KAS and knit-a-square for an autumn/winter square drive.  During that time UK knitters (and crocheters can bring their squares into any of the UK stores and they will send them to South Africa on your behalf. 

This initiative was bought about, because their head of marketing, Liz Sowden found knit-a-square online and was greatly touched by the work you are all doing. She thought it was the most perfect fit to launch with 'Wool Week 2011' in the UK and for the mothers who shop for their children and their own clothes in their stores.

Let's think about what other wonderful 'fits' exist out there in other countries to organise a similar opportunity.

Everyone wins, especially our children.   Look forward to your ideas everyone.

Views: 2991

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Have posted it elsewhere but the Nottingham branch of Jigsaw were very welcoming.  The whole organisation appear to have embraced the cause with much enthusiasm.
I have about 30 squares ready to go and my mother-in-law, who lives just outside Chester, is staying with me at the moment.  I'm hoping she'll be able to take my squares home with her tomorrow and my sister-in-law (who works in Chester) will be able to drop them into Jigsaw next week.  She'll love it if they give her a huge welcome!
I'm sure they will Elaine.   I handed mine into the York store last weekend and I was made very welcome by the staff there.   I'm busy with the next batch so I can drop some off at the Glasgow store.

I found the Chester Jigsaw....close to the now departed RKM wools and across the road from Crabtree and Evelyn. Again, WHAT a welcome! The staff had squares on the counter, including one where anyone could do a couple of rows while in the shop (couldn't resist!). They gave me a pile of their excellent fliers. They were so keen, and while we were chatting another customer piped up "I can knit!", took a flier and set off to spread the word.

I must admit I've been doing some tops and hats recently but this has really made me feel I want to get as many squares done as possible because in 2 days I've met such enthusiastic people who are trying so hard, and just one square is really difficult for them as they've only just learned to knit. So who am I to sit back?! Squares it is!

There is only one problem with going into the Jigsaw Shops - the array of lovely clothes!  I'm being steadily seduced by a rather attractive cerise coloured jumper - don't think I can hold out much longer...........
you could knit one instead and then send it with your squares!!!!! :-)
Sorry Jane, sadly I can only manage squares......sewing & cross-stitch is my first love.  Tried knitting, but kept forgetting to decrease or increase resulting in much frustration and the ugliest jumper you ever saw.  But thanks for such a good suggestion!
Pam...have a look on Ebay in the Fashion Outlet section there are several new Jigsaw jumpers in there at the moment.They are mostly odd sizes that they have been left with. I bought an Editions silk /cashmere blend one from House of Fraser in the outlet section last week it should have been £95, which is out of my budget, but it was for sale at £19.95. It arrived yesterday direct from House of Fraser and is fabulous...happy hunting ! 
I think I may be in danger of that too Jane!  I give in so easily to temptation!  Went into a new knitting shop yesterday to perhaps buy a bargain ball for squares - and came out with two books - one of fantastic neck warmers and similar things great for presents - and another of knitted wild animals - irresistible for KAS children!  Oh - and a ball of wool for squares too! :-)
Well at least you didn't forget the ball of wool Pam!

Ha! No, that salved my conscience, but now I need to buy more to knit these presents and lovely animals - too many nice things to do, too little time.

Thanks for the ebay tip Julia - will have a look.

Went shopping today with mom and Harrison. First stop was the Glasgow Jigsaw store where we dispatched 6 blankets of 5 by 7 squares. The staff were very friendly and seemed so pleased to recieve them. Thanks Jigsaw, you have saved me a fortune in postage this month. Check photos page for Jigsaw pic.

Jeni

xx

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The OCTOBER 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

NOVEMBER

Color Of The Month BROWN

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service