What a fantastic opportunity this is for our UK knitters.  The well known clothing chain, Jigsaw in the UK has partnered with KAS and knit-a-square for an autumn/winter square drive.  During that time UK knitters (and crocheters can bring their squares into any of the UK stores and they will send them to South Africa on your behalf. 

This initiative was bought about, because their head of marketing, Liz Sowden found knit-a-square online and was greatly touched by the work you are all doing. She thought it was the most perfect fit to launch with 'Wool Week 2011' in the UK and for the mothers who shop for their children and their own clothes in their stores.

Let's think about what other wonderful 'fits' exist out there in other countries to organise a similar opportunity.

Everyone wins, especially our children.   Look forward to your ideas everyone.

Views: 2989

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I have read somewhere Elsie that you can't take them to a John Lewis outlet - it must be a main Jigsaw store.  Can someone confirm this or tell me I am dreaming please?

No Pam, you are not dreaming.

Liz Sowden from Jigsaw mentioned it earlier on this discussion, page 3

"I do need to point out that unfortunately John Lewis concessions won't be able to accept the squares. The reason is that our delivery team are unable to deliver and pick up directly; it is all done through a centralised John Lewis warehouse system"

http://square-circle-forum.ning.com/forum/topics/jigsaw-partners-wi...

I am absolutely thrilled by this news as I have a parcel ready to post but was dreading the postage (nearly£20 I think) and that's a huge chunk out of my pension. Will knit more squares now as well so it's a double whammy!!!!

ps. love jigsaw for their generosity. ! Just have to find a store near me now as I live miles away from a city!

big love to all knit a square members x

I am very happy about this - British Wool Week has run into KAS - thank you lots, Liz Sowden and Jigsaw!

If anyone from Jigsaw does come in here, I would like to know if you are taking squares from all fibres, or just pure wool, as it is linked to wool week please ?

Hello to everyone else, and by the way, if you have not seen it before, you might want to check out the part in British Wool Week where they put turf down on Saville Row and let the sheep march down it, not connected to KAS I'm afraid, but it looks so cool.

Wool week is just their excuse to launch the project. I spoke to the Glasgow store and the didn't ask which types of yarns I used. Remember the stores sell 'woollens' not made from just wool too.

Jeni

Thank you to Jigsaw. My nearest shop is 50 miles away in Newcastle but as I usually make a trip there once a month it will be wonderful to be able to drop in squares to save on the postage. It always upsets me when I send a blanket as the postage is the same amount that would buy the wool for another blanket. I sent my Christmas packages to KAS on Wednesday by Surface Mail and the total came to £38.48...that is the cost of the wool for nearly four blankets.

Thank you again Jigsaw I will do what I can to support you as well.

hi  julia

i thought id let u know that ive rang john lewis today and they told me that they are not accepting squares or anything else for "knit  a square" so u might want to ring them first before you trail all the way up there i was very disappointed   but there is an address  that i got from jigsaw which is an english address so it will be alot cheaper to post than to SA 

CHARLOTTE TAYLOR

159 MORTLAND ROAD

KEW

SURREY

TW9 4AW

Yes, Lynn, Liz Snowden corrected our error on 3rd September below, but Charlotte is more than happy to receive packages at the Head Office address you published above.
Please please Jigsaw, let us send squares to you by post. I am virtually housebound and my nearest Jigsaw is 50 miles away. Don't know anyone who could take them for me either. It's a wonderful scheme though even if I can't participate, but I could send so many more if posting was allowed.
Is this an offer to drop off squares during 'wool week' only, or does it cover a longer period of time? Also is there a limit on the number of squares which an individual can leave with them to send? Their bog invites people to knit 'a' square and drop it off?

The Glasgow store staff told me it is right up until Christmas.

Jeni

This is GREAT news! If anyone can find a store in the US to help KAS, I could send my squares. I have a bag full but no money to send them...keep us posted.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The AUGUST 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

SEPTEMBER

Color Of The Month GREEN

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service