What a fantastic opportunity this is for our UK knitters.  The well known clothing chain, Jigsaw in the UK has partnered with KAS and knit-a-square for an autumn/winter square drive.  During that time UK knitters (and crocheters can bring their squares into any of the UK stores and they will send them to South Africa on your behalf. 

This initiative was bought about, because their head of marketing, Liz Sowden found knit-a-square online and was greatly touched by the work you are all doing. She thought it was the most perfect fit to launch with 'Wool Week 2011' in the UK and for the mothers who shop for their children and their own clothes in their stores.

Let's think about what other wonderful 'fits' exist out there in other countries to organise a similar opportunity.

Everyone wins, especially our children.   Look forward to your ideas everyone.

Views: 2991

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Sandy. Very good news.

It's mentioned on their website

http://inside.jigsaw-online.com/blog/2011/09/01/jigsaw-and-kascare-...

To find your nearest store

http://www.jigsaw-online.com/jigsaw-stores/Greater+London?utm_sourc...

This is fantastic! I've signed the pledge to spread the news about wool. I'm so happy for our UK members who will be able to save money on shipping costs...and so knit more squares!

Hi Sandy,

What terrific Good news!  I have taken up the baton and have just finished typing up a letter here and printing the KAS flyer to send off to a chain store here in Australia.  I am enclosing a SASE for them to reply to me, will post again when I hear something.  Lets hope this will work out for Australian Knitters, I know I could knit and send more if I didn't have to be so careful of how much the postage will be, so I really hope this works.

Even if the store I am approaching can collect and send items for a short time each year I know it would be an enormous help to me at least, and hopefully other knitters.  It would also be a great way for KAS to get some more recognition and awareness too.

Fingers Crossed!

Wendy

This is super! I posted the Jigsaw site on my facebook page and on twitter.

LOVE seeing the photo of children wearing hats I made on the Jigsaw website! :-)))))

I love your hats Mary. It is lovely to see the things you have made actually being used by the children. I have just recently dragged myself onto the KAS Facebook site and it was lovely to recongnise some of my things in the photographs there.

At last!  An organisation willing to promote the work of KAS in the UK - Jigsaw staff will be so pleased as they are going to meet some of the kindest/nicest people in the UK.  Let's hotfoot to their stores with squares and show them that the faith shown by Liz Snowden in KAS is totally and utterly justified!  Many of their stores are situated in John Lewis Department Stores.  Well done Jigsaw.

Thanks Jan B (see first comment on Page 1) for adding the url to click on for details.

Do we know whether we can send squares to a Jigsaw store as well?  I don't have one close to me (closest is 2 hours away) but it will still be a lot cheaper to send to them rather than SA.  Is there a particular store/address to send them to?
Cathy, I think they probably want them to be dropped off, but I have asked Liz to come in and chat to you all.  Or I will ask her the question.

Hi Sandy

i have just found out where my latest store is do we have to pack them as if we are sending as per ussual

i/e to Africa with address and everything

thanks lots of love

LIZ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Liz, we've been packing them into polythene bags and then carrier bags to take them to Jigsaw - the staff have been so helpful.  Don't worry about the address etc as they are going to be shipped by Kerry Teamwork on behalf of Jigsaw.

I suggest you give your nearest store a phone call. I called the Glasgow store and the girl I spoke to was great. She is quite happy for me to bring in completed blankets rather than just squares. The stores have done a great job of informing their staff about the project.

Jeni

Thats brilliant news. I have squares ready to send but will now take them to the Jigsaw outlet in John Lewis next week.As I also send squares for my neighbours who knit for KAs this will be a big saving on postage. A b ig thank you to Jigsaw.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The OCTOBER 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

NOVEMBER

Color Of The Month BROWN

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service