Helen is from Houston, Texas and joined KAS in 2009.

She has since been an active member of the US Group, and posts on many other discussions in the forum.

In August 2009, she formed a Knitting Circle at Clear Lake United Methodist Church and led the group until July 2012 . Helen arranged for the church to cover the cost of mailing, took on the job of packing up the KAS items for shipping, and since that time thousands of squares plus KasCuddles, hats and other garments have been sent by this group.

In January 2010, Helen came up with the idea of the KasCuddle and developed a pattern that was approved resoundingly by Ronda and Sandy.

The cuddle is a roomy ‘sleep-sack’ which will fit babies up to 9 months or more, and can be used day or night over the baby’s other clothes. The pattern has been revised by Helen to a newer, roomier size at Ronda’s request. (Pattern for the Knitted KasCuddle can be found in our Pattern book in the knitting pattern section  and the Crocheted KasCuddle in the crochet pattern section). This is a much needed item since many babies sleep on bare floors snuggled up to their care-givers for warmth.

Helen has also contributed some lovely square patterns (in our pattern book) and patterns from her Knitting Circle which are in our Members Patterns Category.

Helen is an extraordinary fund raiser. She has been responsible for raising funds for an Adopt-a-Creche program within the US Group. To date, this group has adopted 5 creches! The last drive (for # 4 and #5) in the fall of 2012 brought in a total of $1310.

Here’s how Helen explains this program: "Adopting a creche means collecting $550.00 to send to Ronda for each creche (daycare) so she can have gasoline money to reach it as well as take a blanket, hat, and a soft toy (if available) for each child, as well as a bit of food for each one. Her funds are so limited that the creche funds have to stretch as far as possible.  As she serves creches farther and farther from her home, gasoline costs have escalated and are a major consideration. Whatever is left from each creche we adopt will most certainly go to Ronda’s additional costs to continue distributions, as well as help with funding for Lindi and Wandile, who are so vital to help Ronda locate the creches that are in such need."

Thank you, Helen, for everything you have done and continue to do for KAS!!!

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A very well deserved award Helen.  You obviously inspire and encourage others and have generated a huge amount of support from your church - a very special person.

• A very deserving, charming and full of enthusiasm lady who adds so much to KAS.  I sometimes think she ought to wear a cheerleading skirt and top and carry those huge pompom pouff things to continue to cheer us on!  Congratulations Helen!  You're such a help to all of us!

love, Jeanne 

• Congratulations, you are a very worthy recipient. Your efforts are wonderful and beautiful

Jeni

• I feel so very privileged to know and work with Helen. I am so proud to know her and happy that all her hard work for these children and this cause is being honored here. Helen, thank you for sharing your love for this cause to everyone you "meet" both here at home and all around the world online. You are an inspiration, and YOU DESERVE IT!  Congratulations! WOOHOO!

• From the bottom of my heart, I thank all of you for your gracious, kind words of support.  Working with KAS has been such a gift since I retired from teaching, and there is just no way to measure the feeling of reward that comes from working to warm the children.  There is still so much work to challenge all of us.  The need is so huge and the children so vulnerable.  My thanks to each and every one of my fellow KASers for every bit of support you give so generously to Sandy and Ronda and all of the team.  May we continue to be there as KAS grows and reaches more and more of these precious ones.

• Bravo Helen. Thanks for all you do.

• Congratulations Helen, You are an inspiration for all of us!

• Congratulations Helen and thank you for everything you do!  This is so well deserved and you are an inspiration to many!  I pray this year will be one of many blessings for you, as you are such a blessing to so many!  

• Congratulations, Helen. A well deserved honour.

• A well deserved honour !

This reply was deleted.