Into the new year with an eviction notice and a collapsed ceiling … NOT the way one imagines starting off, but we are looking on the bright side in any event !

On 20th December, while Peter and I were enjoying a relaxing holiday in the Cape with all our  immediate family members, Wendy received the news that we may need to vacate the office premises so kindly allowed to us, free of charge, by Robert.  Exactly a week later that possibility became an urgent reality and KAS needed to be “out” within a week !!

Of course, it was always going to happen, but deep down I think we turned a blind eye to the thought - as one does – and just hoped our tenuous tenure would continue for ever.  We have enjoyed every moment of being at 170 Grosvenor Road and are most grateful for the period of growth and confidence it brought to Knit-a-Square SA.

We now look forward to a new era.

At this moment, Knit-a-Square SA is “housed” in four different places … thanks to our amazing volunteers who leapt into the breech, press-ganged their families into helping and managed the enormous physical effort of removing KAS, lock, stock and barrel, from its lodgings and disperse it four ways !!  And they did it all without breathing a word to me, for fear of spoiling my relaxing holiday !  This is LOVE !!!! 

Wendy has gone away for a week’s well-deserved rest, and once she is back we will look for new solutions to the question of how to find suitable new premises for KAS SA in 2014.

In the meantime, I spent yesterday cleaning out the garage with the help of Oti’s nephews, Bheki and Prince, and we have made a fresh home for KAS there, for as long as is needed.

This is as good a time as any to explain that Peter and I arrived home on Saturday to a lounge without any ceilings … sometime before 20th December they apparently collapsed into the lounge, amazingly only causing real damage to one lamp and the central light fitting … aside from dirt and dust everywhere. 

We are so blessed to have Oti … as soon as she came back from her holiday in Zimbabwe (and the insurance assessors had been here) she got stuck into cleaning up and although we arrived home to some hazardous bits of steel hanging down and an ugly view of the insulating aerolite, we are able to use the lounge as normal !

And we have been able to use the erstwhile ceiling boards to “line” the floor of the garage, so as to protect our KAS items from dust and dirt … it’s an “ill wind” indeed …. !!

The lounge roof nows resides in our yard!

So, dear KASfriends  … all will be well, despite this series of mishaps ! 

As soon as our ceilings are repaired, we will set about relieving our mentors of their KASburdens by collecting and bringing them back to Fourways … and we are hopeful that opening days will re-commence, as normal, from Thursday 16th January. 

Post will be collected as usual … no problems there !

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers and for your amazing, ongoing support in so many different ways … everyone here sends their best wishes to each of you for a

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I can't believe how fate is treating Ronda and her team. My mother always said, when anything really went wrong, that these things are sent to try us. I think Ronda has been "tried" enough and hope that this year will take a very sharp turn for the better.

I feel very humble when I think of Ronda and her team battling on whatever fate hands out to them. Many people would just give up, but they turn around, re-organise and battle on.

• What a terrible way top start the New Year!!  Hoping you get sorted ASAP so you can carry on with the vital work that you do.

• One thing our KAS team does very well is to remain optimistic even when things are rough, and we soldier on despite obstacles.  We are ready to take on the obstacles of 2014 as they come, but we also look forward to the joy our wonderful work brings to so many in need. We will keep the flag flying high and adopt some of Winston Churchill's stoicism: never, never give up! I think I can confidentally speak on behalf of our team when I say that in times like these we appreciate the support of both our members and contributors. Together we make the phenomenal team KAS. 

In the wise words of our recently departed Tata Madiba:  When people are determined they can overcome anything. 

Yes, we can. 

• Thanks Gina for your words, it will help the rest of remain calm, positive and supportive to know the team are pulling through this 'rough' patch!

• What a dreadful piece of bad luck. I'm thankful that no one was hurt in the collapse and I'm hopeful that a new space for KAS can be found soon. Someone mentioned about how the "Other Guy" will step in to create chaos if God's work is being done too well. So here's what I have to say to the "Other Guy".

Dude. Really. You should know better than to mess with a woman. And you should know better than to mess with a woman on a mission. And you really should know better than to mess with thousands of women on the same mission. And you do know about PMS, right? You sure you want to mess with that?? So back off, Buster, because no matter what you do, we're going to win!

• I do wish there was a 'like' button on this forum, Barb! So I could 'like' your comment!

• Hear, hear Eileen! Great comment Barb.

• Ronda, your wonderful positive attitude is an example to us all.  You are obviously very much loved by everyone as they all pitched in so well to cover both emergencies. Thank you for the garage and for taking on once again the storage of everything.  Exciting to see our 6 boxes have arrived - thank goodness they got there before you had to leave the offices!  We have packed more today but won't be shipping them just yet.  Our storage caravan had a leaking roof and a couple of our boxes got damp - but wonderful Ian who lends us the caravan was soon up on the rood mending the leak. So many wonderful people make KAS the special group that it is.  Let's hope 2014 brings rewards for all of the hard work and that we reach many more children.

• WOW!  So lucky no one was home and was hurt. 

Keep the positive thoughts going! 

• O dear, what a bad start of the new year. I really hope that the ceiling will be repaired soon. Luckily no one was hurt.

I hope KAS will find a new location soon. You were all so happy with the housing, a pity that this ended.

Love and big hugs . xoxoxo

This reply was deleted.