Go for the Gold

When this theme was selected in October 2019, the Olympics in Japan were going to start this month.  Then COVID 19 came onto the scene and things have changed drastically.  The Olympics, to date have been moved to the summer of 2021, still in Japan and still starting in July.

In light of this change, this month we are going to focus on a few things Olympic oriented and a few things GOLD oriented.

The Olympics mean several countries from all around the world sending their best athletes competing in many different sports.

We can celebrate each country by making creating images and color combinations of their flags and the Olympic flag.

We can celebrate the sports by showing what those sports might be: running, swimming, sailing, cycling, football, volleyball, golf, tennis, equestrian events and so much more.

We can celebrate the country of Japan.

We can celebrate the gold, silver and bronze medals.

GOLD can mean many things.

Did you know one of the major exports from South Africa is gold. In 2012 South Africa ranked 4 in the world for gold exports. South Deep gold mine is the largest gold mine in the world, by reserves. Located 45km south-west of Johannesburg in the Witwatersrand Basin, South Africa, South Deep is also the seventh deepest mine in the world, with a mine depth up to 2,998m below the surface. 

In light of this information lets celebrate the color gold/yellow.  A personal favorite, sorry pink Bev and blue Glo.  We can make some incredible bright PJs that will liven up any blanket.

There are many things in nature that have a golden color; lions, a golden weaver, butterflies, a golden retriever, an ear of corn, summer squash, bananas, flowers and of course the sun.

Let’s think about gold and yellow in a new way so that we can share that brightness with the precious children that will be receiving KAS blankets soon.

Go For The Gold Photo Album

Here is a link to the May 2014 Theme - All Things Yellow.  These photos may just give you some inspiration: http://square-circle-forum.ning.com/photo/albums/2014-may-challenge-all-things-yellow?xgi=&test-locale=&exposeKeys=&xg_pw=&xgsi=&id=3276523%3AAlbum%3A491387&groupId=&groupUrl=&xg_disable_customizations=&commentPage=&page=1

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Apologies for such a small contribution from me this month; my brain cells let me down! In my head I had the themes for July and September in the wrong order :(  So I had an ABC blanket ready for July, I was so surprised to see the Going for Gold theme! Oh well, at least I’m ready for Karen’s theme in September.

• No worries.  Every blanket made warms one more child.  That is the goal.

• Amy, you have made this month’s theme so interesting with your wonderful flags and olympic info.......

7164610456?profile=RESIZE_710x

• I’ve enjoyed seeing your medal squares Valerie, yo’ve been a busy bee:))
  • 7156420073?profile=RESIZE_710x

The 2024 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XXXIII Olympiad , and commonly known as Paris 2024, is a forthcoming international  multi-sport event that is scheduled to take place from 26 July to 11 August 2024 in Paris, France

Having previously played host in 1900 and 1924, Paris will become the second city to host the Olympics three times, after London (1908, 1948 and 2012). 2024 will mark the centenary of the Paris Games of 1924, and the sixth Olympic Games hosted by France (three each in summer & winter).

Here is my last flag for this month's theme.  I have yet to label it, but yes, it is the flag of France.

• I'm proud to see the flag of France here, because the Baron de Coubertin was instrumental in the founding of the modern Olympics.  We don't always win a lot of medals, but we love the Olympics.

Here are me last squares/ 2 with the Olympic colours and the third with a nest of medals.

7163035486?profile=RESIZE_710x

7163038690?profile=RESIZE_710x

Thank you Amy for all your hard work bringing us so much info. on the Olympics.

• The nest of medals is such a clever idea, Valerie, and I love your stripes.

• Valerie, these are great.  I love the Olympic stripes. As you know stripe are very popular in blankets.

Thanks for supporting this month's theme.

• This has been a really informative month, Amy - thank you for all your research. All your flags are brilliant.

• Really well done Amy.   The variety of flags must look so impressive laid out together - a lot dedicated hours for sure, Kx

This reply was deleted.