It is that time of the year when we need to start rubbing/scratching our heads for ideas for next years challenges and themes!

Below is a list of the Challenges and Themes we have covered during the past 3 years - you may wish to re-visit some, or stick with some of the absolute favourites like Zig, Zags & Stripes or Variegated.

Or you may have other ideas that are totally new - the Moderator Team are having the same discussion, and, we welcome your input and guidance, so that eventually we can all come together to create a productive and creative list for 2015 that everyone can enjoy!

ALL IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS

ARE VALUABLE

AND MOST WELCOME!

Jan

Jewels

Wish List Sweaters

Wish List Sweaters

Feb

Mixed bag - lace

Transport

Hearts Red & Pink

Mar

Curro - big blanket

Four Seasons

Around the World

Apr

Flags

Sea Shells

Colour Collision

May

Garden

Variegated

Mellow Yellow

June

Beautiful World

Christmas

Day of African Child

July

Oriental

Mandela

Zig Zags, Stripes & Textures

Aug

African Animals

Zig Zags, Stripes & Textures

Beauty of the Blues

Sept

Carnival

Education

Variegated Month

Oct

Christmas

Unchallenge -  UFO

Favourite Things

Nov

Plain Janes

Toys & Cuddlies

Bugs, Slugs & Hugs

Dec

UFOs

AIDS Awareness

Un-Challenge UFOs

POTENTIAL IDEAS SO FAR !

COLOURS or PATTERNS

SUBJECTS

ALL THINGS BRIGHT & BEAUTIFUL

AUTUMN GLORY - OCTOBER ORANGE

BEAUTY OF THE BLUES

COLOUR - colour collision, kaleidoscope, rainbow colours,

3 COLOUR SQUARES

COMPLEMENTARY COLOURS

GREEN - glorious, galore

NIFTY NEON

PASTELS - in praise of

PINK - pretty pinks, in the pink

PURPLE - passion for purple

RED - ruby red,

SHADES of colour & stitches

SHAPES within a square

STRIPES, ZIG ZAGS

TEXTURES

VARIEGATED

ALPHABETSBUNNIES

CARTOON CHARACTERS

CAT & THE HAT CHARACTERS

CATERPILLARS & BUGS

CHICKS

CUPCAKES

ERIC CARL BOOKS

FABULOUS FACES -smiley, smiles

FAIRY-NURSERY RHYMES

FOUR LEGGED FRIENDS

FOUR SEASONS

FRUIT - apples, pumpkins, vegetables

FROGS

FRUIT & FLOWERS - one the menu, in the garden

GRANNY SQUARES

LAMBS

LEAVES

LOG CABIN

HAND-WARMERS

JUMPERS

LAND, SEA, SKY

OUTER SPACE

RAIN FOREST

SNOW DAY

STASH BUSTERS - lucky dip, free for all

TEDDY BEARS

TREES

WINTER WARMTH

WINTER WONDERLAND

ZOO ANIMALS

i

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• WE NOW HAVE TO CLOSE THIS DISCUSSION AND ALL THE SUGGESTIONS ARE BEING TRANSFERRED TO THE MOD TEAM TO ESTABLISH THE THEMES FOR 2015!

• There are already so many wonderful ideas for future challenges that I hardly need to comment, but of course I will!   LOL

These ideas have already been mentioned, but just to reinforce the idea, I would like to recommend Rainbows as a theme .... squares could be any color from the rainbow, solid or variegated, or they could be rainbow stripes, or they could feature shaped rainbows or rainbow hearts.  This seems to lend itself to many levels of ability and interest.  

I like the idea of Granny month, but wouldn't want the knitters to feel left out, so how about Granny's Garters for a theme?

Granny squares for crochet, and Garter stitch for knitting?   

I must admit that I love all the themes, and most of the time just wish I could work faster to complete all the squares that I plan for that month.

Thank you to all the moderators who work so hard to keep us inspired and excited, and all the knitters/crocheters who make such beautiful squares, sweaters, hats, hand warmers, and then take wonderful photos to share all that creativity.

• One of the best uses I have ever seen for small crocheted rainbows is across the middle or corner of a solid colored square.  It instantly brings it to life!  I too love rainbows, though I don't think I've ever made one in yarn, how odd.

If one doesn't want to do just one animal, like lambs...what about a month theme of farm animals instead? Or Baby Animals?

• rainbows for a rainbow nation would be a fab idea!

• One of my first Grace Vests and Beanie hats were rainbows and also the diagonal rainbow square.. and they are fun to do.

• I'd like to suggest:-

SHADES - variations of a colour done in stripes etc., possibly using different stitches for the more adventurous or using various textured yarns.

FACES

COMPLEMENTARY COLOURS - red & green, blue & orange, yellow & purple. 

• just found this thread,here are my suggestions,first of all I would like to see the variegated challenge again as it proved very popular going by all the pictures in the album and on pinintrest, also how about a spring,summer,autumn and winter challenge, this would be great for the more experienced knitters and crocheters who like to add pictures to their squares,and also it would be great for the plain jane knitters and crocheters,you could start the spring challenge say in april, the summer in june autumn in October and winter in dec, and ask people to knit or crochet the colours of that season,or start winter in January,spring in march summer in june and autumn in September, which will also let you slot in other challenges in between

• Great that you are thinking of both the experienced knitters and the ones who prefer plain janes, Ann.

We do need to be careful to choose themes that suit everyone, and ideas for picture squares that are not so difficult that only a few can make them.  Many can manage simple pictures which the children will love, but if they are too difficult, very few will be able to manage them.

So glad to hear that you are checking our PINTEREST page.  We have lots of followers and many photos are being re-pinned to other pages which really helps spread the word about KAS.

Have you also seen our Pinterest page Knit-a-Square South Africa at http://www.pinterest.com/warmkids/  ?

This page has more of a charity focus and will hopefully spread the word to a different audience. 

• hi anne I think you may have misread my suggestions I didn't suggest picture squares, I said the spring summer autumn and winter theme would be great for people who like to add pictures to their squares  and would also be great for the plain jane knitters and crocheters, I am in the latter myself and admit some challenges put me off from doing them

• Hi, Ann - like you I have been a bit put off some challenges which  seem to require a motif , but then I realized if I can think of the topic as  colour related, it helps e.g. the Transport one made me think of red, amber and green for traffic lights, red for a fire engine or a London bus, etc. etc.   It provides inspiration for a striped or plain jane square that keeps my interest alive in the challene.   For this year's November  Bug challenge, I am already thinking of black & yellow (wasps) and red and black (ladybird)  - and that is as far as I have got!  . 

This reply was deleted.