Challenges for 2012

Hi dear KasFolk, with much inspiration from Pam Antink, we have come up with a list of potential challenges for the year. 

This is by no means definitive.  We want your input.  What will make you excited to knit, crochet and create this year?  January Jewels seems to have got us off to a flying start, so thank you everyone who took part in it. 

WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Please help us grow and further our cause, warming, comforting and loving these small children whose little faces light up when they are given anything, let alone a hand made blanket, hat and toy, by taking part in the challenges.

First, by putting on your creative cap and coming up with ideas that will inspire all our members.  We have people all over the world, here in the forum, on Facebook, subscribers through knit-a-square, in churchs and schools stitching probably every minute of every day.  Now there's a thought!

Imagine if they were making a square inspired by your idea.  

GO THE EXTRA DISTANCE
Knit and crochet a few more. Take part in the challenges, post photographs of your squares, comment on other's work.  Every stitch you make, every encouragement you give, every person you talk to about the children, is effectively making a difference in the life of a child, who has so little, least of all the love of their parents.

Here are the suggestions.  Pam's were country focused.  We have added a few more ideas and retained some old but loved ones. 

Ronda says she loves color, loves plain janes, thinks the creative squares are just out of this world and are like the jewels in the crown, and that you are the cleverest people on the planet.

She also says that they work to make sure that each child gets one or two special squares in each blanket where possible.  So your wonderful acts of creativity really make a difference.
Really looking forward to your input!

January - January Jewels

February - French Lace, Frooty Tooty, Fantasy (Fairies, cartoon characters, wizards, dragons, elves etc)

March - A crackerjack challenge (like fill the bus?)

April -  Alphabet soup

May - Make it in May. Embroider it, crochet if you knit, knit if you crochet, try something new, find a new pattern and share it

June -  jazzy snazzy, jolly jumpers,

July - Japanese and Asian inspirations

August - African animals, African designs

September - South America (Mexico, Latin America - Aztec, Inca, Maya, Rio carnival colours)  Slip in month.

October - All about Christmas, cuddly toys, christmas patterns, Santa claus

November - Nordic Knits, (Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia)

December - Stash buster, plain jane, UFO's (courtesy of Jeanne, unfinished objects)

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sorry dear KasFolk about the changes we keep making to the list. We cobbled together a 'quick win' list at the beginning of the year, but we've had a little re-think and gradually fleshed them out.  Since mid-April we now have a new Moderator Team set up who are going to take responsibility for the monthly challenges.  Now that Erica has set-up a Moderators Group, we are able to 'talk shop' easily without endless emails bounces across the globe and different time-zones!  Shortly, we'll be having a 'brain-storming' session to add details to the current list and then plan for 2013.  We'll update the current list once it has been finalised.  Apologies if we have caused some confusion.

• Oooh...how exciting...will start getting together the red, white and blue yarn in readiness for this challenge!

• I'm just learning to crochet so my next square will have to be red, white and blue!

• The flag theme is a great challenge idea!  I've already finished one red and white square (I'm from Canada like Jeanne :) It will be fun to see what everyone comes up with!  

• Hi Beth.....  I've started too... don't you just love working in red an white??  Makes me feel good.  I was in a quandry how to make a square that looks like our flag ( who in the heck can knit or crochet a maple leaf???)  However I solved the problem by making an applique (traced it from a flag) out of "ecofelt". I never used it before, but it's great... doesn't bleed when you wash it, keeps its shape, and dries really fast.  This stuff is made out of recycled plastic bottles, of all things!... but it feels like real felt.

Probably most of my squares will just be stripes.... it takes a while to sew on the applique... but I think I will try to do a few more "flags".  after all, it's still March, and the challenge hasn't really started yet.  I expect I might be sick of red and whilte by the end of April.

• Does Alphabet soup mean we are to make square with letters on them?

• Was wondering the same thing!

• This challenge is going to change as something much more interesting has come up!  It will be based on National Flags from around the world - not replicas unless you have a burning desire, but using the colours of our own countries.  It will be posted in about a week!  Ssssssh, it's a secret!

This reply was deleted.