Welcome everyone, to the August Challenge of Stripes, Zigzags and Textures. I hope you will join me in a month of fun and interesting squares.

Super Stripes will be a great way of stashbusting your current yarn supplies in readiness for....more yarn buying....and who doesn't like to do that???

Zany Zig zags come in all guises and there are sure to be many variations and interpretations....no pressure...lol.

TerrificTextures will be great for using up all the fun fur and other weird and wonderful yarns that you can't find a project for.....but this is also a great opportunity for all of us to do the much needed plain janes, because what can be more textured than a garter stitch or single crocheted square?

So, no strain on your thinking caps this month, let's all just have fun  and see if we can't fill the second KASvan for Ronda and team. 

Please remember to record the squares you make in THE DRIVE TO FILL RONDA’S KASVAN  again at http://forum.knit-a-square.com/forum/topics/the-drive-to-fill-ronda...

AUGUST 2013 CHALLENGE - FuzziesAugust Challenge-Textured squarePeachy ZigZagsAugust Challenge 2013 - Stripes, Zig zags and Textures

IllusionThumbnailBlock & 4 Row RibScarf - reversible Huckaback weaveScarf - twill weaveBlue And Gold ZigZag
pink square

Gitta has so very kindly provided a link for the Challenge album. Thanks Gitta.

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/august-challenge-stripe...

Gitta has just informed us that we have filled one album already. Here is the link to the second album: http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/august-challenge-stripe... Thank you Gitta...and thank you EVERYONE for your contributions and participation, whether it be items or comments. Well done everyone, we are now on our 3rd album. Here is the link: http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/august-challenge-stripe... Thanks Gitta.  :))
Laurie has very generously set up a Pinterest board for the August challenge. Thanks Laurie. Please check it out here: 

Views: 17762

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Two crochet squares to add.  

The fluffy stuff in this square looks raggedy and none too attractive, but it is without a doubt the softest yarn I have ever touched.  If it weren't so difficult to work with, I would make a bunch of vests from it just so that softness could touch every child's skin.

The eyelash isn't nearly as soft, but still fun. 

More 'fluffy' squares today.  These are a combination of 2 rows regular acrylic yarn and 2 rows of chenille yarn (repeated till the square was large enough).  They are both a little oversize, (I can't believe how stretchy the chenille is) even though I cast on less stitches, they look pretty though and I can also hardly believe how soft they are.  I think they will be really touchable squares in a blanket.

My first ever zig zag knitting!  I didn't think I could do this and I did find it tricky.  Thank you my lovely KAS colleagues for posting photos of your amazing creations which encourage me to challenge my knitting horizons like this.

(I'll be knitting some self coloured squares for the next few days though- my brain and eyes need a rest after this!)

I love seeing all the gorgeous squares that are added every day !  

My contribution for today.

As usual, the colours are actually brighter.  The light brown yarn was difficult to work with but makes lovely soft squares. The bottom right square used up the last bit of the brown yarn.

Some more stripes.

August 2013 Set #5

Striped Granny squares today.  (The stripes are in the 'rounds' rather than being vertical or horizontal).  I did the mauve and white one first, and once I felt comfortable with the technique I did the scrappy one with bits of left overs.  This type of square will be a great way to use up small bits that I have previously not been able to work into anything, (those first few rounds in the middle use such a small amount).

I like both of these, but think the one with the multiple colours is more eyecatching. Note to self though, don't start the centre of a square with black!  Made it a bit hard to do the corners on the second round as it was hard to find the loops in which to place the hook!

Loom knit this basket-weave pattern. It's one of my favorite stitches.

August Challenge 2013 - Stripes, Zig zags and Textures

Rainbow stripes. Could have chosen better colours in the 'rainbow and clouds' square. The yellow in the striped square is a really strong gold...but for me it is showing more like a mustard.
Wish I could do intarsia, as duplicate stitch seems to distort the square....oh well...

Still stashbusting.   Here's some 'concentric stripes'

Back from a lovely weekend.  Youngest grandson went this time.  He's 13 and just as much fun as his brother :)  He does, however, require (or want) more of my attention, so I spent my time knitting/crocheting/Tunisian plain janes and never lost my place once :)  I will echo what everyone seems to say about their photo colors.  They are close, but not as bright as "in person".

And hopefully I'm not pushing the envelope too far here, but I would like to submit that my Palette of Plain Janes (while not individually striped, zig zagged, or textured)  do each make a nice stripe when gathered together.  There's even a bit of zig zag where they meet at the bottom :):):)

Anne:  The reason I have put the PJs with the fancier squares is because ...

You can't have one ...

You can't have one ...

You can't have one without the other !

However, Bev, if you feel the PJs should not appear here in this challenge/theme, I will completely understand and attempt to remove them xo

Here's a second version of the slip stitch square I made earlier.  I have posted this pattern on the Members Pattern discussion and would like very much if others tried it -- it really is easy to do.  Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to attach the chart that I made, which was the part that I used most in working out the pattern.  

Today's square is Basket Stitch, for texture.  I enjoyed taking on the challenge of this square (it is a 12 row pattern), but I did have a few hiccups getting it started.  The first few tries I had trouble getting the pattern right, then then when I did the square wasn't large enough so had to start again with more stitches. It was worth persevering with though as it looks really pretty finished.  At least as before this one is 'right' now for the next attempt!

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2022

SQUARES LIST

The JULY Squares List is delayed.

Our sincere apologies.

~~~~~~~~~~

The JUNE 2022 Squares List is available. Please see:

2022 Squares List Discussion

for the most recent lists.

For all other Square Lists, please visit our SQUARE LISTS page.

2022 MONTHLY THEMES

Planning ahead??

See the 2022

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

KAS PATTERN BOOK

AUGUST

Color Of The Month LAVENDER

Free Patterns for

Plain Jane Knit Square

Plain Jane Crochet Square

can be found in the KAS PatternBook

Click here to find more free patterns in

Members Patterns - Squares

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

CREATECARE GLOBAL

"CreateCare Global has set itself two tasks. The first is physical: to bring hope, support and comfort to children for whom poverty and loss are everyday tormentors. The second, and in our view equally important, is to spread the message to the world."

Our thanks to CreateCare Global for supporting the Square Circle Forum and helping to spread the wonderful work that KAS does.

Learn more about CCG here.

© 2022   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service