Athele has recently taken a trip up north to the Bende Mutale area of South Africa. it is a 613 Km/381 mile trek.  Along the way she has been distributing KAS warmth to those in need.  These photos come from her Facebook page and we hope you enjoy.  

All the entries are from Athele personal journaling.

First of a few in a series of pics I plan to post of joy Ayla and I, on the back of the Knit-A-Square SA world-wide community, brought to the impoverished people of the far flung corner of South Africa called Pafuri. These two boys we found herding a drove of donkeys on this stretch of road to the village we were staying at. They were totally shocked and delighted when my little blue bird suddenly stopped beside them and they got to choose from a pack of thirty toys we’d taken up with us. I can pretty much guarantee they were the first toys these boys had ever received, let alone in such a ‘manna from heaven’ fashion!

Please keep reading to be a part of the journey...

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Estelle darling, this gorgeous blanket comes from you or one of your team ❣️This chap may not look thrilled, but trust me he was. He’s not had an easy time in his young life so far and I’m sure this blanket constitutes his first real luxury and symbol that people out there in the world do care about his plight. Please tag the kind hands who created the squares for Knit-A-Square SA so they can hear our thanks and bear witness to their kindness warming a vulnerable child this winter. 
    Bende Mutale village
    Pafuri region
    May 2019

3079181139?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Athelé I did reply on Facebook where there have been quite a few remarks. Roni Rudmad- Owens stitched the blanket together. I’ve been trying to find out who crocheted the seaside square but have had no joy. I think I sent you a pic of the blanket before you started your journey. Someone may recognize the squares when the blanket appears on The Blanket Room. 

• Thank you so much for sharing, Amy, may he feel the love and caring from the loving crafter/s and sewers who made this blanket possible.

• Another set of photos from Athele:

Tompo (Respect) was overjoyed to have this gorgeous blanket made of really chunky yarns. He’s such a hardworking, diligent young chap who takes such good care of his little brother and sister (shown earlier in this series of pics of this village distribution) and is endless help to his mother Ida. So I was Especially grateful to the loving hands around the world who made this possible by creating and sending us these squares - they were a joy to sew together. Estelle McLeod do you perhaps still recall who made the fabulous crocheted squares? Of course Tompo was also very chuffed with the beanie we had for him too. Always popular!

2856706970?profile=RESIZE_710x2856707242?profile=RESIZE_710x2856707464?profile=RESIZE_710x

• An outstanding young man.....beautiful blanket.

• Little Success getting to grips with the fluffy toy from Knit-A-Square. She didn’t stop chewing on it from the moment I put it in her sweet little hands. Mom Portia was equally thrilled with her beanie and blanket, made from The softest squares ever. Was lovely to see up! I think the squares came from Croatia and of course the teddy square from Judith Sullivan.
    Bless all the kind hands that made this gift that means such much to Mom and daughter who have so very little, possible.2776317442?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Lovely blanket, looks like chenile yarn, which is very soft and cuddly! Good to see the little girl loves the toy too!

• A precious moment. 

• Aww that's so lovely.

• This dear little girl is the daughter of Gundo, one of the little girls I befriended in the village nearly 20 years ago, during the few years when Oliver and I lived in the tree house a few k’s away. Full circle and such a sense of blessing to be able to give her this blanket, of squares I collected and sewed together from generous contributors to Knit A Square SA from all over the globe. Thanks to Estelle McLeod for the beautiful scalloped edging and all for the squares to make up this blanket, as well as the toy and beanie that will be cherished by this impoverished child for sure. Judith / special thanks for your lovely appliqué squares that are always an inspiration.

2707103011?profile=RESIZE_710x2707108463?profile=RESIZE_710x2707112498?profile=RESIZE_710x

This reply was deleted.