In the fall of 2018 we asked our volunteers in the KAS Barn what they would like to see as monthly themes for the coming year.  They came up with A Slice of Africa for February.

This month we want you to explore Africa, maybe be inspired by the designs and colors in African fabrics and beadwork.

Take a peak at traditional housing and cooking implements.

Maybe you can work up some squares or toys like these that embrace the flora and fauna that is unique to Africa or commonly found in Africa.

Every year we like to have a theme that also focuses on Mandela Day in July.  If we prepare our squares and ship them early enough, they can be made into blankets for our special Mandela Day Distributions in July. 

Nelson Mandela, Inaugural Address, Pretoria 9 May 1994 after being elected President of South Africa

We enter into a covenant that we shall build a society in which all South Africans, both black and white, will be able to walk tall, without and fear in their hearts, assured of their inalienable right to human dignity – a rainbow nation at peace with itself and the world.

We can't wait to see what our crafters come up with this year.

The KAS Pattern for the month is the Wheel Spoke by Linda Maltby. 

If you crochet why don't you give it a try.

THEME PHOTO ALBUM

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• February 2019 Theme - A Slice of Africa

Sorry Amy, unavoidably late...........The peace appliques that I bought online back in November, only just arrived in mid March....then they were so much bigger than I expected that I had to knit three double squares to be able to fit both the peace sign and S.A. flag. :))

• Superb in every way! :)) x

• Bev, these are fabulous!  Your duplicate stitching always amazes me, and now I'm adding 'being amazed' at your stitching of appliqués!  A child is going to love ... and identify with ... these beauties :))) xo

• Fabulous squares, Bev, I love them.

• February 2019 Theme - A Slice of Africa

Two different styles of traditional South African housing.

e1ed9c9df1682f5cdecb0622135b6aee.jpg Image result for traditional south african houses

• Amazing work and dedication as always. Many Thanks, Bev. 

• Wow Bev, loving your African houses, your amazing picture squares never cease to amaze me! 

Your animals are super cute too :))

• Oh my dear Bev, your talents amaze me!  What incredible "pictures" these are for a child's blanket.  I agree with Amy ... you're definitely a yarn and needle artist!!  Both are absolutely perfect ... xo

• Incredible squares inspired by these two photos.  Bev you are an artist with yarn and needles.

I know the children and the Barn volunteers are going to love these.  I do.

• Inspired ideas again Bev.   Delicious colour tones and massive dedication to your speciality squares.   Excellent ❤️✅✅

This reply was deleted.