724,196,800 stitches of love

Dear Kas Folk,

How exciting to get this month's tally from South Africa and see that we have only 784 items to go before we reach the half a milliion mark.  With the volume of post still waiting to be opened, it will be well over half a million before the year is out.

Just to highlight how extraordinary that is, I did a little exercise based on their being 40 stitches in a row and 40 rows to a square (very happy to have this amended if I have it wrong) and times it by 452,653 squares = 724,196,800 stitches.   If you could estimate the 46,600 knitted hats and jumpers, I reckon we would be at nearly ONE BILLION STITCHES!!

How fantastic is that.  Every one knitted with love for the children who so badly need it.

Thank you everyone of you that has contributed to this remarkable tally.

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wow, what a lot of knitting - all made with love.  I can add to the total, have 26 squares, some hats and cardigans which I will take to South Africa in January and hopefully the pile will have grown as well.  May have to pinch a bit of space in hubby's suitcase!!

• Like lots of people I have squares waiting to send, but mine are in another country. I knit or crochet in France but take to the UK to send (when I travel for work), means its cheaper and I can send more. Not that I match some of your wonderful stitchers, but every little helps. Keep up the good work.

• Receiving this message certainly was the best way to start my Friday and end my week! Thank you Sandy! I am continuously in awe of what you, Ronda your families and the volunteers in SA have done. I still get goose bumps and have a tear in my eye when I tell people about KAS! Thank you for giving us a way to help!

A huge WELL DONE to everyone involved! Whether you make one squares or hundreds, it DOES make a difference!

• Here are some of the comments left on the KAS Facebook page with regard to the stitches!

275921_1355510482_7272919_q.jpg

Ilona Marshall : Well done!

372726_632427557_1505052603_q.jpg

Davina Lovemore Coombs : Brilliant! Keep those needles aclicking !

49033_1273224154_771845_q.jpg

Susan Popiol : I am so excited to be a part of "stitches of love".

274656_1580811533_138916567_q.jpg

Lisa Hagel : Love it.

273412_1797087207_1254928873_q.jpg

Sandy Carey : I don't knit, but I crochet.

572623_100002586862567_1541356797_q.jpg

Joan Anthony : Me too Sandy. If I try to knit squares I get triangles.

186269_1798235389_801662092_q.jpg

Denise Bailey :WOW...724,196,899 stitches of love...that is sooooo awesome to hear. I'm so glad to be part of a team that truely loves kids.

• Bless you for this, Sandy.   That is a lot of love embracing the children, a lot of prayers for their future.   I feel humbled to be a small stitch in this tally

• What an incredible acheivement. Just goes to show if we keep our focus on our little bit of the work between us we can achieve great things! Well done!

•  

Don't forget those of us who crochet.  

On average 23 stitches for 16 rows per square (hdc) for a total of 368 stitches each. 

Together the knitters and crocheters are creating physical and emotional warmth for children literally left out in the cold.

• Literally left out in the cold....now there's a phrase that will stick with me and encourage me to further efforts as we head into autumn and then winter here. By the time my sea mail packages arrive it will be heading back into South Africa's winter I imagine.  I am always on the lookout for easy to make hats and sweater patterns and new square patterns and love the personal growth Knit A Square is giving me as a result.  (It's also keeping me out of a lot of mischief!)  heh heh heh....

• Yes, Jeanne, for some reason or other I have no trouble at all imagining you getting into loads of mischief...L.O.L. !!!!

• This is fantastic.  A great achievement. It is a privilege to part of such a great group of people, who have the welfare of the children in their hearts.

This reply was deleted.